“Make the Time - This is Worth It.”
Review of Kashkaval

Kashkaval
Ranked #973 of 15,923 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Deli, Mediterranean
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Hell's Kitchen
Reviewed October 17, 2013

We stumbled upon Kashkaval on our first trip to New York. My memory is that we could just wander in, choose a table and enjoy the whole experience.
Well, not these days. The Kashkaval secret is well and truly out there, and locals and out-of-towners compete for space at the peak times. Seriously though, it's worth the battle.
I find that mid afternoon is a good time to visit, because there is a better chance of walking through to the back - on a recent Saturday morning, it seemed like there were 237 people between the street front and the back tables.
But again, persevere - this is top class New York experience.

Date of visit: October 2013

Reviewed October 1, 2013 via mobile

A gem in the Hell's Kitchen area! I had the Caesar Salad with chicken - it was good but the dressing was a little too oily for my taste. Portion size was terrific.

We shared the small meat and cheese plate - The list to choose from is extensive and it's fun to let the waiters bring you their favorites. They also offer fondue if you have the time to sit and enjoy it!

Date of visit: October 2013
1  Thank Stacy M
Reviewed September 19, 2013

I went here with a friend while visiting the city. We had to wait about half an hour for a table (they don't take reservations) but it was totally worth the wait. The atmosphere and decor is quite cosy, they pack people tightly as it is quite small. We ordered a bottle of prosecco and went for both a cheese board and a tapas board. The waitress warned us it would be too big for the two of us but she also said she could pack it up for us after if it was the case so we decided to go for it, we couldn't decide on what cheese we should get rid of! We had a few dips with pitta, all delicious and the cheese board was immense! They give you really good portions of the cheese and she was right, we had to take most of it home but that just meant we got to snack on that delicious cheese for the rest of the week, no loss there!

Date of visit: September 2013
1  Thank Chelsea B
Reviewed September 18, 2013

This is a great little restaurant. I used to live around the corner and would literally eat 5 meals a week here. Now that I've moved, I still make special trips to go here, and my friends always ask for it! A great (if small-ish) wine selection, and a really superb selection of cheeses and spreads makes this a perfect place to take friends and share some little plates. (My favorite combo: elephant beans, olive tapenade, beet skordalia, babaganoush.) This was the restaurant I was frequenting when I fell in love with New York. May it remain for a long time.

Date of visit: February 2013
Reviewed July 8, 2013

My wife and I went here for July 4th weekend. The food was good. Cheese fondue was great with the baguette bites. Cold tapas were good, especially the walnut spread. However, the meat dippings with cheese foundue were just ok. The restaurant is reasonably priced for Hells Kitchen. I would go there again.

Date of visit: July 2013