“Excellent dessert place”

Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Midtown
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Came here after a very disappointing dinner at Firebird.

We came here and tried their Mac and cheese, green tea creme brulee, and Kuro Goma Sweet Tofu.

The mac and cheese was pretty good. The panko gave it a slight crisp to the top of the mac and cheese. Usually the top is kind of burnt. But the use of the panko was creative and it didn't burn the top of the cheese. It does have a little kick to it from the spice shichimi. It's just enough spice. If you can't handle spicy food, you can definitely handle this.

The green tea creme brulee had a very strong green tea flavor which I liked. Most green tea things don't have enough green tea flavor in it, but this was an exception. It's a good thing that there was ice cream on the side, it helped to cut the green tea flavor and to balance the dish. The granola helped too. Definitely worth trying.

Last thing we tried was the sweet tofu. Good thing I suggested to try this last because it is really sweet. If we had tried this first, we wouldn't have tasted anything in the creme brulee. The hoji-cha syrup gets a little getting used to. It's not just a sweet syrup. I would say it's an acquired taste. We just poured it over the tofu and scooped it out. I wouldn't recommend "destroying" the tofu into little pieces. The sesame tuile flavor is quite strong but it adds to the dish. Tofu itself is also mildly sweet if you can taste it. I would recommend this dish.

I would definitely recommend this place. It's a nice dessert place. They do have some main course dishes that I do plan to try out towards the end of December. I will update the review then. For now, 4 stars. If the food can impress me, they might be one of the few dessert places that deserves a 5 star from me.

One thing that made my experience that much better was that when we asked for the check, we told them to add the cost of one of the small bakery bags that they sell. They had forgotten to add in the price and when we told them about it they said it was on the house. That was really generous of them. I appreciate the good gesture. In return, we gave them the cost of that item and then some in tips =D

Service was excellent. The staff is very friendly.

Reviewed May 8, 2013

stumbled upon this place on accident as at first i was super bummed cause i wanted to go to the dessert club bar but they don't open from Mon-Wed (WTH)

after being sad -- i yelped more dessert bars and found one right next to where i was eating. and thought hey it's japanese so bound to be lighter and healthier for me----

first no japanese people work there -

Deserts - were great.
yuzu cheese cake was like a traditional japanese cheesecake althrough a litte denser.
soft tofu cake- (really just silken tofu with some sauce) was awesome
Green Tea icey with red beans- (tad too swee on the red beans but the matcha icy was bomb
mochi cake - couldn't taste the Mochi - was basically a molten lava cake with some frosting and some rasberry sauce - skip it unless your into sweetness

they didn't have crembule but i would have loved to try that -

Reviewed April 7, 2013

We went to Kyotofu after seeing a show. It is open late, so it worked for our schedule. We didn't have reservations, so I felt fortunate to be seated at the bar. We were only there for the dessert - we had the Chef's Choice Dessert Tasting. The desserts that came out were amazing!
The bartender who waited on us was tremendous. He was so hard working, friendly and tended to our needs as well as the few tables at the front of the restaurant in addition to making the drinks. He always seemed to keep his cool under the hustle and bustle which was, unfortunately, in stark contrast to the hostess.

Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

Love this place! Came here to celebrate a friend's birthday. Ordered the shrimp croquettes and a tofu dish with three dipping sauces for appetizers. The tofu was just amazing! So silky smooth and delicate. The three of us all ordered the pork belly for entrees and it was really good, but a bit greasy (not the restaurant's fault, just the fact that it's pork belly) after a few bites. For dessert, we shared a sampling plate and I loved the rice pudding, even though I am normally not a rice pudding person. The sweet almond really made it special. The green tea creme brulee was pretty tasty too. We also ordered a bunch of cocktails because it was happy hour so buy one
get one free until 8pm. Overall you can just feel the chefs really poured their hearts into creating an amazing menu and the food and service are both incredible. Not cheap, but it is meant to be a treat.

Reviewed March 31, 2013

Found this place online with some good reviews, wasn't disappointed as the dessert here is great. Notice a lot of people just go for the dessert, but I can recommend the chicken and tofu burger, very tasty.

1  Thank gecentral