“Nice food and service” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of La Esquina

La Esquina
Reserve with OpenTable
La Esquina is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #192 of 13,476 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Mexican, Latin, Central American
Good for: Bar scene, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: SoHo
Cross street: Kenmare Street
Transit: 6 train to Spring Street
Pennington, New Jersey
“Nice food and service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2013

Always pass by this place and see many people waiting...decided to give it a try...and was not disappointed. We got there right before noon time on a Saturday and it was empty. As soon as we sat down…all the tables filled up. I had the roasted chicken torta which I shared with my duaghter and the ceviche blanco they were both delicious. My husband had the huevos rancheros with a side of rice..he didn’t like the rice he said it was not fresh. Did not give it a perfect score…felt a bit rushed.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank worldtravel29

• Hebrew first
Mumbai (Bombay), India
“great brunch spot”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2013

This fun little corner place may look understated and cozy, but boasts gourmet Mexican food and drinks. It's walled with interesting art work in bright colors..the staff is friendly and attentive without being overbearing and the patrons vary from being very well-dressed to shorts, t-shirts and loafers. I had the steak tacos and mimosas and our table shared chips and guac...all very tasty and fresh. Definitely a spot to check out in NYC for a lazy Sunday brunch/lunch.

• Visited May 2013
Bethesda, Maryland
“Great ceviche and great service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

The service was top-notch. Because we had problems getting there, as the subway train we needed was not running for some reason, and had to jump in a cab, we were late. I called ahead and the maitr'd said no worries, our table would be held, and it was. (I was worried because you have to call 3 weeks in advance to get a reservation and I had spent hours on the phone booking a 6:30 reservation!) We had both the ceviches, one with shrimp and the other with red snapper -- they are both excellent and I highly recommend them. The margaritas were wonderful (warning: very strong) -- try the one made with blood orange. The rotisserie chicken taquitos were delicious. My husband had the carne assada and it was perfect. We also had the chocolate cake for dessert which was amazing. The brasserie dining room is very funky, but cool -- cool tiles on the wall. The women's bathroom was a little dark and creepy but it went with the decor -- it's a basement, after all!

Visited May 2013
1 Thank catwomyn
London - UK
“Top quality Mexican food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2013

Food is just unbelievable
Could do with better (less presumptuous...) service but the quality of the food is well worth the visit

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Sydney, Australia
“Overrated”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2013

I had made this reservation 21 days in advance and was put on hold for a good 30 mins. A little upset that it didn't meet my expectations. I have eaten a lot of Mexican food around America and this was at the lower end of the scale. Food was alright but nothing fantastic. The drinks were really tasty and strong but! Our server seemed like she didn't want to be there at all and the chick on the door/coat room basically demanded for tips as we left. I had much better experience with Mexican from street food vendors! It was very dark and overpriced.

• Visited March 2013