“Great ambiance, good food”
Review of The Little Owl

The Little Owl
Reserve with OpenTable
The Little Owl is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #63 of 14,216 Restaurants in New York City
Neighborhood: West Village
Cross street: Grove Street
Transit: Christopher Street Station
Reviewed October 22, 2013

Due to the really high praise on Trip Advisor, my husband and I decided to have lunch here while in New York earlier this month. The ambiance of this small restaurant is cozy and intimate. There are maybe 12 tables at the most, and there isn't much space between you and your neighbors. The service was excellent; our waitress was very warm, friendly, and helpful. She was a gem!

The food was good, but not the best we had while in New York. I ordered the romain and palm hearts salad and a side of polenta with mushrooms. The salad was a bit on the salty side and although it was tasty, it wasn't anything to write home about. The polenta, on the other hand, was amazing. I wish it came as an entree, not just a side dish. I could eat a large quanity of it! My husband had the lobster risotto. He enjoyed it, but said it wasn't the best risotto he'd had. For desert we ordered the beignets in chocolate sauce to share which were very good.

Along with our food, we ordered one drink each. The total (with drinks and tip) came to around $100. We thought it was a bit on the high side, especially for lunch. Was it our best meal in New York? No. Did we enjoy the ambiance, service, and interesting menu? Definitely. If you're looking for a quaint neighborhood restaurant with charm and character, that's a little off the beaten (tourist) track, this one is hard to beat.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,080)

Reviewed October 21, 2013

Little Owl is a quaint restaurant with great food in West Village. I really enjoyed my meal here and it all starts with the great customer service. Everyone was polite and I could tell they enjoyed their job. I didn't know this was the building of "Friends" until after my meal. This explained the tourists that were outside taking photos. I love that the restaurant is not touristy and caters to the local neighborhood. The meatball sliders are a must have. The restaurant itself is small but that is what I like about it. Eating there once I could tell that good customer service is a priority of this restaurant, and that is what they do well.

Reviewed October 20, 2013

This restaurant is lovely. It is very small, to the extent that other tables are less than a foot away and getting to the washroom requires some contortion, but that is all part of the charm. The food is incredibly tasty - the meatball sliders followed by the burger is meat heavy, but so succulent and tasty it doesn't feel so. If I lived in NY, I would probably eat here every week.

1  Thank DBUK2012
Reviewed October 17, 2013 via mobile

Little Owl could have been forgiven for ending up as a tourist trap given its location underneath the Friends building. But the food we received at brunch was delicious, and there was a discernible atmosphere about the place despite us being there at a relatively quiet time (11am on a Monday). My eggs with sausage and hollandaise was up there with the best food I ate in New York, and the restaurant is located in a very quiet and beautiful part of the city (West Village). Well worth a visit.

2  Thank Daniel W
Reviewed October 17, 2013 via mobile

Loves this place. I had the sea bass and my boyfriend had the porkchop. Atmosphere was great, quaint, cozy, welcoming and casual enough for a comfortable experience. Food was great but seating was scarce so we ended up at the bar, but no complaints about that since the cocktails complimented the food and atmosphere perfectly!