“Doesn't live up to the appearance”

Night Theater District
Ranked #246 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Minneapolis
“Doesn't live up to the appearance”
Reviewed May 22, 2007

My wife and I stayed for 3 nights (Friday, Saturday, Sunday). We used to live in New York and had come back for a vacation weekend—our first away from our two children. We stayed in the “large” King room.

I do not recommend the hotel. It seems possible to have a positive experience here, but from what I can tell, odds are high that you may not.

I wouldn’t stay again because the mood set by the decorating, the music, and the other stylish things the hotel does ultimately falls flat when faced with the realities of its deficiencies in creating a comfortable atmosphere. Once that happens, the fun of the place is gone, and the façade of style rings hollow.

IS THIS SEXY?
Used room service trays sat on two different floors with food still on them in the hallways for over two full days. The food from late Friday night or early Saturday morning was still there on Monday when I checked out. Two full days of walking past and smelling leftover food and ketchup in the hallway every-time you go to your room. Take a look at the website for Night, and imagine a place that sells itself with those photos, but then leaves food in the hallway for days. You walk through a narrow mood-lit hallway with photos of half naked people on the wall, and oops, what’s that? Oh, it’s a 2 day old room service tray with a bowl of ketchup next to it. Two day leftover food isn’t what I want when I am booking a fun sexy hotel in New York. This is a small hotel, yet two full rounds of housekeeping, plus various other employees walked by the trays for days and nobody cared enough to pick it up. It really punctured a big hole in the atmosphere the hotel tried to present.

THE STAFF
Mostly helpful and pleasant. Nice door guys. The front desk staff was pleasant. The interaction between the staff seemed disorganized, like everyone wasn’t on the same page, or like maybe nobody was in charge. The only real staff problem was that the Saturday night bartender was a total piece of work.

THE GOOD
The room was decorated as shown in the photos. It was cool in appearance. It was small, which we expected. Location was in a busy and fun spot. It’s noisy, but it’s right off of time square, so noisy/busy can be fun.

Requests for extra towels, housekeeping service, and an ironing board were all met in a courteous and timely manner.

There’s a place down the street called the Cranberry Deli. They had excellent deli food, really nice service, and reasonable prices.

THE BAD
The a/c was LOUD. The unit produced deep humming noise and the vent cover rattled with a high pitch noise. The noise was more unpleasant than the temperature so we turned the A/C off.

The bed was comfortable. But it was supposed to be a king and at 5’11” I filled it from top to bottom.

THE UGLY
Besides the previously mentioned room service leftovers, the bar/lounge was problematic. It was not a welcoming atmosphere for us. On Friday night, we returned to the hotel past midnight. The bar was packed. There wasn’t an employee in sight, with an unmanned door and front desk. Someone had placed velvet ropes blocking off the entrance into the hotel on the INSIDE of the entrance, as if to say the party was full. We stepped around it and went up to our room. When the party wound down at 2 or 3 a.m., there was an altercation in the street. But I can’t say for sure that it was related to the hotel party….and after all, it is New York.

On Saturday, we stopped down for a drink around 10 p.m.. The bar was empty. Apparently half of the tiny bar area was reserved for a party that had not arrived, but this was not marked. The person running the bar was rude and unprofessional in the way she informed us (and later other people) of this. She was really a jerk. She was at the bar gabbing loud and nonstop over the mood music with no care as to how she was affecting the people who had to deal with her. It was pathetic.

So much for being a “guest”. Dealing with this lady was a sour experience in a place that I thought would take care of us better.

Stayed May 2007
2 Thank Kingotheball

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
London
Reviewed May 20, 2007

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Night Hotel for a break in December 2006. The black door entrance makes it feel exclusive and when you walk in it continues to feel exclusive. They have a gorgeous lounge area with funky chairs, low but funky music playing. The staff are very well dressed and the bell boy looked like a film star. He was very attentive and gave us a lot of information on where to go. My boyfriend and I was invited at check in to a drinks party that the hotel were laying on for a wine company. We planned to only go for a drink but ended up staying in the hotel bar the whole night. It was full of beautiful people and they had a dj playing really chilled and funky music. Perfect. We stayed for 4 nights and loved every minute of our stay. We are now going back with our relatives in October and I can not wait

• Liked — Exclusive feel, very comfortable beds and clean
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank LondonPixie
Winter Garden
Reviewed May 4, 2007

My husband and I stayed at the Night hotel in NYC for one weekend in April while I was attending a conference at the Marriott Marquis Hotel. This was a great place that was really snazzy and sleek with great decor. The pictures are a little odd - but don't let that throw you. Staff was pleasant and our room was VERY quiet (except when others on our hall shut their doors which was quite loud). Loved the rain shower in the bathroom. YES the room was small, but people, this is NYC - get over it! We had a queen bed and it was fine for the two of us. The room had a very "calming" feel, esp. with the Bose stereo tuned in to a nice jazz station. The location cannot be beat - it was one block from the Marriott Marquis. An Irish pub across the street offered great corned beef and cabbage on our first night. The Cranberry deli had a quick omelet and muffin for a breakfast on the way over to the conference. All in all, I highly recommend it, first and foremost for the location and second for the classy rooms and quiet calm serenity once you are in the room.

• Liked — Location and room decor
  • Disliked — Could hear doors slamming on hallway
5 Thank KLCDRUMS
chicago, illinois
Reviewed April 30, 2007

This hotel was wonderful...I have to admit I was kind of skeptical once I booked it looking at the actual hotel website. I was wondering
if it was going to be as gothic as the feel I got from the website itself. Boy was I wrong. My boyfriend and I went for the weekend Sat-Mon and had so much fun. Very impressed. Service was fast, friendly, and top-notch. We arrived and trendy music was playing and we were well greeted by the bellman. Night has a W hotel feel to it. Our room was not ready when we got there, however they were able to give us a better room that was. The rooms were not as small as people were
complaining about...I thought they were fine and well decorated enough to feel comfortable for relaxing and sleeping. The beds were comfy and the T.V was a great touch! The Glass Shower was trendy and the shower-head is unforgettable. I LOVED the lights under the bed, whoever thought a black and white room would actually inspire someone
to do some re-decorating in their own bedroom at home. The people that stayed there seemed to be well polished people. Armani Xchange and Bebe dressers..

Location couldn't be better...everything right out the door! Bar menu
was great and ambiance throughout was very nice. I would love to stay
here again on my next visit to NY. Nice backgrounds for photos!! Staff very friendly and helpful at all times!

• Liked — Very upscale trendy Boutique
  • Disliked — Complimentary Breakfast was Poor.
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Deetria N
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed April 22, 2007

i was in town on business and thought I would try this hotel. I am used to small rooms and this is no exception, but the decor is very unique and modern and the room was very clean. The bed was excellent. The bathroom was very tiny (no space for my stuff) and the shower could have use a good scrubbing with grout cleaner, but I will confess I have seen worse. My criticism is that this hotel is if you want to party, not if you want to sleep. The walls were PAPER THIN and I could hear everything including the chime of the elevator and any person walking in the hall. Thank God I finally got the AC to stay on to drown out the noise. Would not stay again unless I was planning on staying out all night and sleeping during the day.

• Liked — The bed
  • Disliked — the NOISE was dreadful
scotland
Reviewed April 15, 2007

This hotel was recommended to us by friends, so we were hopeful.

I had requested a high room, and we had booked a king size bed.

The room was very small, no storage (drawer space) and a very small hanging rail. There was no safe in the room, so storing valuable items was a little tricky. There was no iron in the room, but I think this can be provided.

We did not really have any view, apart from the backs of other buildings, so high room did not matter.

We had a complimentary breakfast on our first morning, pretty poor (considering they expected a tip), there was not even a spoon in the jam, margarine or any other condiments. Certainly better to go round the corner to one of the take-away places. The lighting was also too dark, as my husband could not read his paper.

Twice the cleaners did not clean our room, as they claimed we had left the do not disturb sign on the door, we certainly checked this the 2nd day to ensure we had not, so I think a trick to clean less rooms.

The location is what saved this hotel, as you are 2 min walk from Times Square and Broadway.

Staff were pleasant enough.

The bed was very comfy, and the 42in Plasma was as others have said a good use of space, but more storage for your luggage and clothing would also have been very useful.

• Liked — Very central location
  • Disliked — Small room with no storage
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
Rome, Italy
Reviewed April 12, 2007

The hotel looks like a private club: it is completely black, it hasn't spotighlts or signs and the front door is always closed. I found that cool, and the interior design (all black with an inspired gothic charme) is cool too. Being a boutique hotel, the Night "should be" and "definitely is" small (lobby and other spaces) but what really disappointed me is the room, which I would describe as "cramped" while costed over 300 dollars/night. 42 inches Plasma TV and a Bose radio-cd alarm clock are the in-room amenities. The service is not perfect (after 14 days, I am still waiting for the refund of my credit card cash advance which is worth over 600 dollars, and when one morning I asked the concierge to book a table at NOBU, they replied is was fully booked and it was 6.30 pm...I got a table anyway "the italian way", arguing there must have been a mistake in the booking procedure). Location is perfect, one minute from Times Square, who could ask more? If understatement and trendy places are what you are looking for, then go for it, but make sure you watch out for an acceptable room space.

• Liked — Design
  • Disliked — small rooms