“Central but overrated”

Night Theater District
Ranked #252 of 471 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed December 30, 2013

I stayed at the Night Hotel for 4 nights when I was in NY in autumn 2012. My friend highly reccomended the hotel, so I guess my expectations where excessive, - the value for the money we payed was not fulfilled. If you are looking for something special,- stay there: The rooms are stylish but small. Time Square's just arround the corner and the staff was always friendly and helpful. A 24/7 construction area nicked my sleep.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Maringly M, Front Office Manager at Night Theater District, responded to this reviewResponded December 31, 2013

Dear Nadine_Sch, thank you for posting your review. We hope you can come and stay with us again. The construction across the street is over and you will have a more quiet sleep. Please email me directly for any future reservations.

mmorrobel@nighthotelny.com

Write a ReviewReviews (2,197)

Reviewed December 29, 2013

Professional staff - very accommodating and attentive, as I waited for the rest of our party. Cool urban hotel atmosphere and rooms were typical NYC size, but perfect for what we needed. The MidTown / Times Square location was perfect for our two night stay.
We had appetizers and a drink while we waited. Barmaid was personable and recommended the perfect vodka.
Also consider checking out sister hotel Dream on W 55th - nice rooftop bar.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for you great review ThePBR! We are delighted to know your stay was pleasant and that you were satisfied with the service provided by the hotel and bar staff. Please, email me directly for any future bookings. I will make sure you get a very nice room and welcome back amenity.

Reviewed December 27, 2013

Be advised, this is a small boutique style hotel—that smells good! When I say small, I mean small. The lobby itself is compact so don't be surprised/disappointed when you come in. The rooms and hallways reminded me of our last cruise ship vacation. The benefit however; is a no-nonsense hotel lobby with no "loiterers".

After reading tons of reviews, we decided to stay in Time Square for our first time to NY to celebrate our 20 yr. anniversary. Some said the hotel was like a nightclub, and I did not want to be around a bunch of young club-hoppers, but we were pleasantly surprised by the guests. They ranged in age, but we rarely ran into other guests despite the compact size of the hotel. The decor is exactly as the pics show, black and white, sexy, and catered for adults. This was just what we wanted. We didn't want to stay in a "family" hotel with kids because we came to NY to escape our young kids. The hotel doesn't discriminate I'm sure; if you want to bring your kids you can, but it’s definitely a grown-up’s place. No real “security” at the hotel, and sometimes, no doorman. Maybe it would raise prices to have one full-time..hmm.

The only noises I could hear from other guests at night was their doors closing. Once closed, I could not hear anything else--thankfully :-). We didn't notice any problems with the elevator speed. The hotel has only 9 floors, so I didn't expect them to be as fast as the WTC or anything. I will say the room we stayed in is starting to show some minor wear. The bathroom tiles were missing grout in some areas, and as other reviewers mention, the lighting was a challenge even though our bathroom had a window. The wood on the bathroom vanity has endured some water damage, and the caulking had a bit of mold...nothing that a little elbow grease could not have fixed. The room itself was good (room 86). The bed was a little "saggy" for my taste, but I didn't lose any sleep over it. As warned by other guest reviews, we didn't touch the minibar due to it being "tripped". A full length mirror in the bathroom and room would be helpful both functionally and aesthetically. Graciously, the hotel sent us a bottle of Champagne to celebrate and allowed us a bit of an early and late check out as a courtesy. All in all, they were very good to us.

The only reason the review lost a star was due to housekeeping. I was a bit disturbed to find that on our first day of check-in, they left one used lotion bottle from the previous guest(s). That kept running through my mind because that was something that I could see, but what else was missed that I couldn’t see? Were the sheets/pillows washed etc.? That is a no-no in my book! Also, the next day while we were out, housekeeping came in to clean as normal and the same hair that was on the countertop and sink was also there when we returned. I was not happy about that either. I'm sure the housekeeping staff is in need of a refresher meeting.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay, and would recommend it if others wanted to stay in a discrete location geared towards adults near the buzz of the city. The location was awesome...only a block from all the action. Close to the 42nd street subway entrance that you will quickly become familiar with if you decide to ride the subway. Patrick gave us a quick Subway 101 crash-course, and we were subway pros by day 4. Patrick also recommended a place called Junior’s down the street for breakfast and it was excellent. He was very nice, although I'm sure us "pesky" tourists ask him the same questions over and over, he obliged us like we were old annoying friends of his :-).

Room Tip: Away from the elevators if possible.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Seashellstew

Dear Seashellstew, thank you for such a detailed review. The housekeeping issues were already addressed with our Housekeeping staff, but I assure you that rooms get cleaned and all sheets and towels get changed. I am glad you like our convenient location and our staff. All your suggestions and comments are important to us and we take them into consideration. We hope you can stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed December 26, 2013

-for couples only!
-take stairs and check out cute photos on every floor
-great restaurant (dinner only! on weekends)
-have to ask for coffee maker; not in the room by default
-umbrella/hair dryer to use, so do not drag yours
-if you are a Wyndham member (free to join)-you get free wifi
-NO breakfast, so plan to order from nearby cafes or bring your own
-bring chocolates to treat your special one
-free HBO (and other channels) on demand
-very helpful staff, just ask

Room Tip: i think all rooms are tiny, and yes it does get noisy in NY at night (pun intended ;-)
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KatushaNY

Dear KatushaNY, thank you for staying with us at NIGHT and also for posting a review about your stay. We are delighted to know your stay was very good and hope to welcome you back in the future. Please email me directly for any future bookings.

Reviewed December 26, 2013 via mobile

I truly do not have a bad word to say about this hotel. We were warmly greeted from the moment we stepped into the hotel to the moment we left.

The hotel itself looks exactly like the pictures on the website, the rooms are not very big but that was fine, everything from room to the foyer was beautiful and well decorated and the location is right at Time Square.. What more could you need?

• Stayed: December 2013

Thank you for your review and excellent rating, KnDtravellers! We appreciate your comments and are delighted to know you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to welcome you back in the future. Please, remember to contact us directly to offer you the best rate possible.

Reviewed December 22, 2013

The Night Hotel on 45th was surprisingly amazing! I stayed there for 5 nights. The place felt cozy and very close to Times Square. A gentleman named Rocky was extremely accommodating. He even comped me a drink at del Friscos. :-) the entire staff was helpful and the rate was reasonable. I had a pleasant experience. I'd stay here again next time I'm in NYC.

• Stayed: November 2013
Maringly M, Front Office Manager at Night Theater District, responded to this reviewResponded December 23, 2013

Dear Mfranco329, thank you for letting us know about your stay with us. We are glad it was great and we hope to welcome you back in the future. The Night hotel staff appreciate your comments, especially Robert.

Reviewed December 20, 2013

We arrived here on 12th December. Our 1st impression of this hotel was very nice & modern. The desk staff were friendly & helpful. Top marks goes to Walter the concierge he was very knowledgable & nothing was any trouble for him. He even organised for a bottle of champers as it was my birthday while we were out there. Our room as a lot of reviews have said isn't the largest of rooms but it was very clean & tidy & had everything you need also the bed was so comfortable I never wanted to get out of it. There were a couple of down sides I found to this hotel which weren't major but just annoyed us a little one being the lifts.........they are so SLOW & don't always to stop on your floor which can get a little bit irritating & the other was our door card we had to have it refreshed 6/7 times & after you have waited for the lift once to have to wait 3 times can be rather time consuming. The other thing I thing could improve hotel is free wifi throughout not just in public areas. I am a light sleeper so as we had a front king room on the 5th floor the notice of the beeping traffic is not good but this is what New York City is all about.On the whole we loved our stay here & would recommend as it is very central in time square.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Maringly M, Front Office Manager at Night Theater District, responded to this reviewResponded December 25, 2013

Dear Kerry K, thank you for your review. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and the service provided to you. We hope to have you back in the near future.