“Uber groovy but not scary....”

Night Theater District
Ranked #248 of 473 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed May 21, 2013

I stayed ay the Night Hotel for four nights in May 2013.

My travel agent booked the hotel which was completely unknown to me. I confess to being a little uncertain as to what to expect when I checked out the hotel's website - voted the sexiest hotel in NYC, and with lots of very "sexy-looking" people all over the place - but I needn't have worried.

The hotel is a small, boutique hotel over nine floors. The rooms are very small but function well and the bathrooms are fine. The decor is what hits you - very dark, a bit goth - and I did wonder if the constant theme of black was covering up something. But once I got over the unusual look I found it to be a normal tourist hotel which suited my needs well.

The hotel's biggest plus is its location. About 100 metres east of Times Square on W45 St is about as central as you can get in NYC, and this worked well as a base for the things I had planned.

The hotel staff were all friendly, helpful and courteous. I didn't use the hotel's bar or room service faciloities, but there were plenty of places around to have meals. Un Deux Trois, a restuarant on the same block, around the corner in W44 St, does a great breakfast from 7 am. I went there twice. O'Lunney's pub directly opposite the hotel did great meals in a sort of pub style, which was fine for me.

The wifi wasn't free (unlike the European hotels I've stayed in on this trip) but at $10 a day it was a lot cheaper than hotels in Australia and New Zealand. This $10 covered both my devices, too (phone and laptop). You just need to get a new username and password when the 24 hours on your old ones have expired.

Noise is always an issue in NYC but I found the room was comfortable at night with the windows closed, especially as the weather was mild. The air conditioning was very noisy in the room but I didn't need it when I was sleeping. I was on the 8th floor so it might have been noisier lower down.

All up I have no real complaints and would stay there agin.

Room Tip: Un Deux Trois on the same block in W44 St for breakfast.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
5  Thank GrahaminAdelaide
Peter K, Front Office Manager at Night Theater District, responded to this reviewResponded May 26, 2013

Dear GrahaminMelbourne,

Thank you so much for your positive feedback about your stay with us! I’ll be sure to relay your comments to our staff. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

pkomorowski@nighthotelny.com

Write a ReviewReviews (2,205)

Reviewed May 21, 2013 via mobile

Love this place. It's right next to Times Square. Rooms are cool and little bit bigger than many others NYC hotels. We didn't have view (well, just buildings), but that is common in this city. Very nice and helpful staff. Totally booking my next visit here! Only negative thing is Wi-Fi; it's not free and it sucks.

1  Thank Taija K
Peter K, Front Office Manager at Night Theater District, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2013

Dear Taija K,

Thank you for your positive feedback about our location, guest rooms ans staff!
It sounds like you had a great time. We hope to welome you back soon!

Kind regards

Reviewed May 20, 2013

Certainly not the largest rooms or bathrooms but very comfortable beds. What really amazed me was that we were on the sixth floor toward the rear of the building and we did not hear one bite of noise from the very load function they were having in the dining room and no street noise. Given that this hotel is a stones throw from Times Square the lack of outside noise was amazing! Bathroom had a shower, no tub. We did have to get them to send up wash clothes as there was only one in the unit. For ice you need to call the front desk as there are no ice machines available. The room came with a stocked mini-refrigerator (water, drinks, snacks) but we did not use it. Read their information at checkin as it does say that they can assess your $30.00 if you put your own items in the refrigerator. Can not comment on the restaurant as we did not use it. They have wifi but I think there is a daily charge. Just up the street is a Starbucks and across the street is a deli. Around the corner is the Hard Rock Cafe and Bubba Gump's.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear divearnd,

Thank you for your constructive feedback about your stay with us. I’m glad that you enjoyed the room and how quiet our hotel is.

Reviewed May 19, 2013

My daughter and I had a girls weekend in NYC and stayed for 1 night at this hotel. The staff were great and so was the room! It was a very convenient location, close to the theatres and time square. We loved the valet parking too. We would definitely stay here again!!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Kathryn C

Dear Kathryn C,

Reviewed May 14, 2013

A week before I arrived at the Night Hotel I contacted the reception to determine whether I could get an early check-in as I was arriving from South Africa at 11am. I did not get a response which was not a good start. When I arrived at the hotel, the staff at the front desk were not particularly friendly and did not make an effort to check if I could get a room earlier - which is a travelers worst nightmare after having traveled for approx 23 hrs. I had to hang around for about 4 hours for a room. I told the staff to then call me when my room was ready as I was just going to wait in the restaurant til the room was ready.

I ended up spending some time in the restaurant which I have to say was wonderful. The restaurants host and his staff were lovely and a pleasant surprise from the staff at the front desk to the hotel.

Staff at reception never bothered to call me to tell me when my room was ready - I had to approach them several times to see whether the room was ready.

The room was lovely and the bed super comfortable-the decor and the bedding were the best things about this hotel as it has a very unique feel. Love the gothic theme!

The people who represent the hotel were nothing to rave home about.

Show some effort, you are in the industry of hospitality and people engagement.

Overpriced for the level of service marketed and expected.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Peter K, Front Office Manager at Night Theater District, responded to this reviewResponded May 19, 2013

Dear Chevara N,

Thank you for posting a review on TripAdvisor,
I apologize for the inconvenience during your check in. Please rest assured that I addressed this issue with my staff and I am convinced that a situation like this will never happen in the future.
We are glad that you enjoyed the room and the theme of the hotel.
If you would like to stay with us again, please do not hesitate to e-mail me directly at pkomorowski@nighthotelny.com and I will be more than happy to personally take care of your reservation.

Kind regards

Reviewed May 12, 2013

Super hotel with réal good atmosphere
Idéally placed to discover NY
Design is cool and sexy
Rooms are confortable
Services are ok and in Line with promises
You will enjoy
We will return for sure in NY and surely again in that hotel

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Vinbay

Dear Vinbay,

Thank you for your feedback about your stay with us. I’m glad that you enjoyed the room and the service provided by our staff. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed May 10, 2013 via mobile

Night is a trendy, modern boutique hotel close to Times Square. Should you decide to stay here, you are easily within walking distance to most "tourist" attractions.

I stayed for two nights for business have already booked a return stay. The quality of service at the front desk was excellent and the room was very comfortable.

• Stayed: May 2013