“Great place to stay”

Ranked #243 of 466 Hotels in New York City
ann arbor michigan
“Great place to stay”
Reviewed April 11, 2008

Our stay at the Seaport Inn was pleasant, the staff was helpful, the location ideal and the room clean and well appointed. The hotel is small and cozy with a nice seating area in the lobby. Breakfast was not extensive but certainly adequate. The rooms were comfortable and quiet. The location is great for sightseeing or business in lower Manhattan and the subway was a 8 minute walk away. I would definitely stay here again when visiting New York.

Stayed April 2008
1 Thank robd

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Schoharie
Reviewed March 31, 2008

I stayed here in 2006, 2007 and most recently in March 2008, and have found it to be consistently above average all three stays. Easy access to the FDR and Brooklyn Bridge for transportation. Quick (15 minutes) walk to Chinatown or Battery Park. Plenty of places too eat. Small but convenient adjacent.

The room was comfortable and quiet. Not much of a view, but I think it's only 5 stories, so don't expect the vistas such as those gained from taller hotels. Price was equal to other hotels (I had State Govt rates).

Covered parking in a garage ($20/night) only 3 minutes up the block).

The continental breakfast could have been ready a little earlier than 7:30 for those leaving earlier. But besides this, I can't complain.

• Stayed March 2008
2 Thank Long_time_local
USA
Reviewed March 15, 2008

I cant say enough about this hotel stay- Pros: Price and great for the rooms we got, clean and spacious! We were on the very top floor and there was a beautiful view- Please see pictures attaches. the room was clean and spotless. bathroom had a small both jaccuzzi and was roomy as well-AC/heater worked great, beds were sofft and fresh feeling! it was like sleeping on a cloud. balcony was nice and lot of tables to sit on outise to enjoy view, desk area to sit and write if needed. Guy in the front desk was friendly and continetial breakt fast was good. Easy to get taxis.Cons: the breakfast area was cramped and the location seems to be a bit far from attractions- other than that great stay!

• Liked — room was spacious
  • Disliked — location is okay
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank yasmine1982
New York City, New York
Reviewed November 20, 2007

I cannot say I agree with the recent reviews, as I had a great stay down in the Seaport District.

I am not usually a fan of Best Westerns, but I was pleasantly surprised when I was upgraded to a terrace room which had amazing views of the Brooklyn Bridge.

The room was a nice size for Manhattan hotels, as Ive stayed in some "4 star" hotels where your feet touch the wall when you sleep. The bedding was very comfortable in comparison to other Best Westerns and similarly priced hotels. It was the standard bedding now found in all Marriotts and Sheratons. As an extra bonus, my room had a sleek flat screen tv.

The breakfast wasnt perfect, but I couldn't complain considering the limited space the hotel has to offer and the fact it was free. As a business traveler, I was quite impressed by the wireless signal in my room and throughout the property (also free). This is something that can be spotty from hotel to hotel (not free at Marriotts).

Overall, I had an excellent experience and would highly recommend to anyone on business in the area of the financial district of NYC.

• Liked — Value, Bed
  • Disliked — Cobblestone streets
1 Thank ovdbluese
Canada
Reviewed November 19, 2007

I stayed at this hotel with my Mum and two sisters and we were all extremely disappointed....especially after the good reviews from other travellers.
The area is great , though it is worth noting for those not familiar with the vastness of New York that it is a good bit from midtown.

Our only problems were with the hotel and the attitude of the staff while we were there. Check in was fine, friendly in fact. Arriving in the room, we were intially disappointed with the quality of the room and furnishings but as this was a base rather than where we planned to spend much time, it was not a concern.
We called for additional towels - and then had to call again when they were not brought down. The hair dryer did not work so they had to drop in a replacement. Our window was right outside the air conditioning unit which was a disturbance most of the time. The remote control was out of batteries.
The worst part was when the toilet became blocked. There was no one available to fix it and they offered us to move to an equivalent room. Rather than pack up and I asked for a plunger and was told "I could come to reception and get one". Upon going to reception, it appeared a plunger could not be found and then they pressed us to move rooms again. As it seemed to be too much hassle on their part to try and unblock the toilet, I agreed we would move rooms. This was 4 women packing up a weekend's shopping so no simple move! They seemed to be finding it hard to find an equivalent room based on our rate on our floor so I suggested that a superior room (we aren't talking penthouse here - just a room with 2 beds rather than a bed and a fold away bed) should really not be a problem given that we were moving at our inconvenience as they did not have someone there to fix this simple problem with the toilet. After consultatation by the receptionist with another staff member (in sharp tones in a foreign language), they agreed to letting us take a better room. So we packed up and moved by ourselves, no offer of assistance or anything. All in all, I couldn't believe the lack of service or concern.
I have stayed with Best Western before and was looking forward to this one...but was disappointed on so many counts. We will not be back nor recommending this to anyone visiting NY

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Inability of staff to fix problems
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank IrishinToronto
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed November 16, 2007

I stayed at this hotel while attending a conference in the financial district November 5-7. Given that this hotel is not that much cheaper than many other better hotels in the area, I was pretty dissapointed with my stay.

When I arrived, I was asked to sign a document agreeing that this was a non-smoking hotel. Great!! I dont smoke and am allergic to it. Upon entering my room, it reiked of smoke. I was moved to another room, which did not smell of smoke until the second night. Someone might as well have been smoking in my room it was so bad. This is an old hotel and if someone is smoking in a room with a vent connected to yours, you might as well light up yourself. So if you are sensitive so smoke or dont want to stay in a hotel that smells of smoke, this is not the hotel for you.

The staff was also pretty rude and unhelpful. On my first night at the hotel, it was later in the evening, I didnt want to venture very far and was looking for a place to eat. I asked at the front desk for a recommendation to which the woman working the desk replied "I dont know, I dont eat down here." So I then proceeded to just ask for directions to some restaurants listed on the hotel's website that it states are nearby, to which I was pointed to a map of NYC! I dont really care if the front desk staff doesnt eat in the area, but I at least expect them to be helpful.

Lastly, dont plan on eating the breakfast unless you like stale pastries and a box of Cheerios or like your waffle mix to come out of a machine that is not refrigerated. There are plenty of places nearby to get breakfast.

If you do stay here, I highly recommend eating at Salud, a Brazillian tapas restaurant a couple of blocks away. Excellent!!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Everything else
2 Thank beadventurous
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 10, 2007

I really enjoyed my stay here. The hotel is small and charming- and an exceptional value by Manhattan standards.

Location: Situated near the Fulton Seaport- this is a much quieter part of Manhattan. There are some attractions in walking distance (Wall St, WTC site, Battery Park/ferries for Statue of Liberty, Brooklyn Bridge) and the subway connections in the area are very good. There are also a few excellent restaurants and coffee shops- a several chain stores (Abercrombie, J Crew) right across the street.

The Room: Very tidy, nice bed, good size for Manhattan, very clean bathroom. Only complaint: TV did not work.

The hotel offers a spartan continental breakfast. Most of the staff were extremely pleasant- we did encounter two very irritable staff members though.

I would not hesitate to return.

• Liked — Great value for Manhattan- good size, clean, quiet
  • Disliked — Very few double bed options- so best for couples or singles
2 Thank LaMarianina