“Anniversary Dinner”

Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Midtown
Reviewed October 8, 2016 via mobile

We celebrated our Anniversary dinner at H&F club. We went all out and so did our server Carlos. We guided us through our evening of excellent food choices. We had a Wine by the glass & it was excellent - should have bought the bottle. Our only challenge was getting full. We could not finish the meal. The food was excellent & Carlos made the experience special surrounded by great ambiance

Date of visit: October 2016

Reviewed October 4, 2016 via mobile

If you're in the mood for steak, skip this place. Other than that, the decor is nice, some of the appetizers we tried weren't bad. They don't have many cocktails to chose from but they have a good wine list. We had the mutton chop that they offer off the menu, it was $150 but isn't anything special. It isn't as big as they describe because of the bone. So you don't get as much meat as you'd think. It was served room temperature and the flavor wasn't anything special. I like my steaks piping hot and bursting with flavor. If you want a nice big steak all to yourself, try the chefs cut at Mastro's a few blocks away.

Reviewed October 1, 2016 via mobile

I wonder about any restaurant that seats people and isn't prompt at handing you a drinks menu ... that's where the money is.

Anyway we sat down and thought the place looked like a great dining prospect, especially as it was our last night in NYC before a cruise (although we'll be back for another 6 nights at the end of the cruise). Michael ... our waiter said a very quick hello and said he'd be straight back but not before he told us we were in for a special night ... but we thought he meant in a good way. So ... maybe 10 mins later was back with the menus and drinks list. I asked for a local beer recommendation ... and it was flat when served ... how does that happen? I sent it back. My wife ordered a creamy cocktail. Now a change of pace ... a couple of minutes after the cocktail is delivered so is the piping hot Lobster Bisque we both ordered. Ah timing guys ... remember how that works? Creamy cocktails & soup ... not ideal.

So the bisque had been, I guess, overdone in the microwave and was inedible initially. But after it cooled down it was very nice.

When ordering the main meals my wife ordered the small sized linguini ... but Michael dutifully unsold her on a double size. My wife explained she was a small eater ... but Michael assures her she needed more as it was so small. So mains arrived ... and my wife ate about half.

I should say we had already told them to slow down the service ... the place seems to be on an express timetable ... event though we arrived a little after 7:30 so clearly not off to a show.

The pork chop was fine, the Mac & Cheese ... ok ... the asparagus ... not as good as I do at home!

I should say Michael was very self assured ... but I'm not sure why. His skills as a host were more about him than anything else.

So ... clearly why both with dessert ... it just won't go well ... so we asked for the bill. Hmm ... We were charged two extra glasses of wine we hadn't had and when I said I wasn't happy about paying for the upsize do meal my wife didn't eat it seemed (in talking to another waiter it would be resolved). But Michael rode back in and explained that 2 extra glasses of wine had been charged and he'd had them removed ... ah actually I pick that up. Ah ... but Michael was sorry that we were going to be charged for the upsized meal for my wife ... but as Michael said ... it's only an extra $16.

Yeah ... maybe Michael you'll pay for that as a 20% tipping would have been about $50 for you ... but you got nothing. And to cap it off a terrible review a TripAdvisor.

So ... needless to say we won't waste our money here when we do the second 6 days after our cruise. And to cap it off we told the reception at our hotel ... and they told us they didn't recommend this restaurant to guests but appreciated the feedback.

Can I just finish by say we are dong a 4 week trip to the US. So cost isn't really an issue. But like most things in life value is.

I'm sure you can find much better places to spend your time & money.

Date of visit: October 2016
1  Thank The_Hills
Reviewed September 27, 2016

We ate here before the theatre. The server, Francisco, was very attentive to the time. Francisco had excellent suggestions. We started with Oysters on the Half Shell. Followed by some wonderful Lobster Bisque. The bisque was creamy with mild flavor. There could have been a little more lobster though. We then had the Branzino (Sea Bass) entrée. This was flaky, and moist, with a marvelous lemon-caper pesto. We also had the roasted mushrooms, which were a superb accompaniment. We finished off with the Vanilla Cheesecake. Light, creamy with a splendid vanilla sauce.
Again the server, Francisco, was wonderful, attentive, without hovering.

Reviewed September 7, 2016

Popped in after a long day and a show with a friend, Service was white table cloth, and the drinks felt a little old fashioned.

Nothing special, but very consistent. We at late supper and again no highs or no lows. I wanted to say that it would be perfect for people watching, but it just left us short.

No rush to go back.