“Location worth the price”

New York Presbyterian Guest Facility
NY
“Location worth the price”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2014

Stayed in 1024 the night before my daughters surgery at Sloan. The room was a corner suite and included a queen bed with kitchen. I Liked the windows on two sides. While it was a little noisey at night the AC cut most of the noise. Nothing will cut the sound of sirens but hey, you are near some major hospitals. I didn't do any cooking but will note there are limited pots,pans,etc. However, there are many restaurants,delis,etc. in the area. Breakfast with bacon,eggs, toast,potatoes and, coffee included, for $4.50!! Amazing! My dght/SIL stayed in 1204. The beds in this room are double rather than queen. I stayed here with SIL after dght was admitted. Again, the kitchen has limited pots,pans. We didn't plan on cooking, just sharing this info. There was one pot,one fry pan and one large bowl. Both rooms had a coffee pot with tea and coffee provided. Both rooms were very clean except for the carpeting in 1024 which was very stained. Don't forget your slippers!! The 12th floor is the remodeled floor and the carpeting was OK. Again, utensils were limited. Rooms freshened daily with shampoo,etc. The tile in 1204 shower could use some help with the grout. It was worth the $275/night to be a block from Sloan. The neighborhood seems very safe and I would be comfortable walking back to the Helmsley alone at night, yes, I am a senior. The convenience is worth the cost for a short term stay. Also, is within walking distance of the subway....about 5 blocks. Any minor complaints I had are offset by the convenience to the hospital.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
6 Thank BozieNy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
  • Turkish first
Staten Island, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2013

I mean the title. The location is across the street from NYP hospital. Could not be better.

We paid about 300 night for their mini suite. The bed was Motel 6 in quality and the temperature controls left much to be desired. Second rate furniture except for the kitchen are which was nice. The front desk is not 24 hr and they are borderline rude and somewhat indifferent. The way you would expect staff to act if they are being treated poorly. I needed to be at the hospital by 7 am and was told by the person at the desk that I could'nt check out until 6:45 because the other side of the desk was not their department. Saw another peroson walking around and I asked if they could check me out. I was told they didn't start working for 15 minutes and after begging for a few minutes they finally, albeit reluctantly, printed a recipt for me.

I would stay there again if a relative of mine was going into to the hospital, but not for any other reason. Additionally, I heard an excessive number of maintenance complainats from people that were renting apartments there.

It has the potential to become a great little hotel/residence combo, but it desperatly needs new management. I feel sorry for the place the way one would for a poorly trained puppy. They just don't know how to run a hotel..

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
9 Thank spindocta
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2013

Or any of the other speciality hospitals in the area. I was on the 12 floor which has just been re-done.Very quite,secure, VERY CLEAN, nice little kitchenette with plates, stove top,utensils,microwave,coffee maker etc.
My room was a queen bed, nice shower,sitting area and cost around $280.00 per night.
My brother donated a kidney to his wife, and my stay was undetermined, and they worked right with me.
Little grocery store next door to the facility,dry cleaner etc.
In a word..EXCELLENT.

Room Tip: ask for a room that has been re-done, i believe it is 9th floor and up
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
8 Thank Margaret M
Woodstock, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2013

When you are scheduled for surgery at 7am you don't want to worry about traffic or even about finding a cab. We asked for a room on the 12th floor as other reviewers had suggested and were happy with our studio with kitchen. Two upholstered chairs would have been better than only one. This is not where you go for luxury (or fancy toiletries!) but it was comfortable and clean and being able to walk to Sloan Kettering in the morning was so much less stressful. I was kept at the hospital overnight after surgery and my spouse was able to walk back and get another room for an extra night without any trouble. NYC hotels are expensive but, given that reality, this is a reasonably priced choice if you are a patient at NY Hospital, HSS or MSK.

Room Tip: Try the 12th floor which has been redone. We had a nice dinner at Fratelli's restaurant on 1st...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
6 Thank CAandMAS
USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2013

I am writing this while staying at The Helmsley Medical Tower, also known as The New York Presbyterian Guest Facility. We needed a comfortable place to stay while my Mom receives treatment at Sloan-Kettering, and, due to dietary issues, we needed a kitchen. We are in a regular studio, and we are extremely comfortable in - and very satisfied with -this facility.

The staff has been wonderful, our maid service has been attentive, and this very spacious studio has everything we need: closet space, a king size bed, a comfortable sofa bed, a desk, a dining table, a TV, a clean bathroom with plenty of hot water, and a very efficient kitchen with a stove, full refrigerator, microwave, dishwasher, toaster, small coffeemaker, a teakettle, some dishes, one pot, one frying pan, and some utensils.

For Manhattan, the price is reasonable, and the peace of mind from being two blocks from Sloan-Kettering and right across from NY Presbyterian is priceless.

There are plenty of places that deliver food, and there are plenty of places right nearby to buy prepared food or groceries, including one that is open 24 hours. Coffee packets are provided as are typical hotel amenities of shampoo, conditioner, and skin lotion. Whenever we asked for something, such as an extra blanket, we received it immediately.

If you are looking for luxury and glamour, this is not the place for you. But if you are looking for all the comforts of home ,especially while going through a very stressful time, then I highly recommend this guest facility.

I echo another reviewer's tip to bring your own knives if you want to cook, and possibly an extra pot and some paper/plastic plates, etc.

Note also that this part of the city is kind of out of the way from the subways and the tourist attractions, but is a perfect location for the hospitals in the area.

I'm sorry that we have to be here in the first place, but I am pleased with this home away from home for my Mom and me.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
10 Thank Lu-AnnR
Mount Airy, Georgia, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2013

I have never been more impressed by a hotel room and such a helpful staff as when I stayed at the Helmsley Medical Tower. The location was perfect, the room was spotless, the bed extremely comfortable, full kitchen provided, living area and bedroom tvs, I found nothing at all to complain about. The price was reasonable for the room, service and health watch provided......although it could be lower so it was more economical. It was so near the hospital and all my dr appts, making it super easy on me. All staff were kind & helpful but Jonathon Fenster went out of his way to be there for someone who he knew had never been to NY or even out of Dixie before. :)

Room Tip: I did not use the pool or fitness center during my stay. My room on the 8th floor was wonderful. Abs...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank Karla C
Scarsdale, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2013

Convenient and less expensive than NY hotels. No services--they do not answer even the phones at the desk--if you need anything you have to go down to the desk. Room clean, but more like a Motel 6 decor. Atmosphere is generally morbid--everyone walking around with long faces. Only a block from Weill Cornell and shorter if you know your way thru the maze of the hospital--convenient if you are spending all your time in the hospital and need a place to freshen up.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business