“Don't Stay Here”

New York Presbyterian Guest Facility
Connecticut, USA
“Don't Stay Here”
Reviewed May 25, 2011

I stayed at the New York Presbyterian Guest Facility in May 2011 while traveling with a sick family member for whom this facility was recommended.

I have traveled many places in the world and I can't name a single place anywhere in 40 years of traveling where I was treated so badly. Starting with the young lady at the front desk who could not tear herself away from her cell phone to check us in to the office staff who dealt with a billing error, the staff was rude, disinterested and hostile.

The room was worn and adequate at best. But, it was servicable. The hotel is also a residence, and there is neither doorman nor any hotel staff to assist you with anything. The staff at the desk - checking in and checking out - could barely spare the time to attend to our business. The hotel description claims that there is a doorman but there was no one at the door when we arrived, went in/out or checked out.

Honestly, I would never refer anyone to this hotel; and, you could not pay me to stay here again based on the (in)human experience that I had.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
8 Thank CTTraveler58

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
  • Turkish first
Toronto
Reviewed April 5, 2011

My son had surgery at the Hospital for Special Surgery but we chose to stay in an Executive suite here instead of at the Belaire Guest house. At the Helmsley we had a pull-out couch in the living room as well as a separate bedroom and, of course, a kitchen. We were on the 12th floor - which is newly renovated. More remarkable than the building itself is the courtesy and attentiveness of the staff - I must single out Jonathan, with whom I made my reservation - for his consistent, willing help. I left a jewelry pouch in the safe deposit box and when I realized this two hours later and called the hotel, they had collected it and held it safe. Not what I would have expected from a New York hotel. This place gets top marks from us. However, one note of caution - the parking. Be very careful to adhere to the 24 hour policy - they told us to come back at noon, even though we had parked at 11:45 - and then they charged us for an extra half day. It's a bit of a zoo down there - so be prepared.

Room Tip: Ask for Jonathan; request the 12th floor
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
4 Thank LesterTO
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed September 23, 2010

I have stayed at this facility every month for the last two years, prior, occasionally when I lived near the city, now in another state. I always return to the NY Guest Facility because the staff is friendly and accommodating; Elliot at the desk always remembers me. This month I needed an unexpected room and couldn't find a room near, the United Nation thing, flying into NYC without having a reservation and asking them to help. They called and gave me a canceled room as I sat at a connecting flight. I enjoy the rooms with street noise and they accommodate. I like having a kitchen to use, a deli is on the corner and other shops and eating places near by. Many restaurants deliver to this hotel if you desire to eat in. As a patient, I appreciate the reasonable priced room compared to others in the neighborhood.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank netravelers
Long Beach, California
Reviewed June 5, 2010

Contrary to some of the other reviews, we found the hotel staff very accommodating and the room quiet and clean. We had room 916 which is not advertised as upgraded/remodeled, but it seemed pretty new to us. We did not hear ambulance noise as noted by others. There is a nice big laundromat in the basement with a change machine.
We stayed at this hotel to attend our daughter's graduation from Cornell Medical School that is associated with NY Presbyterian. This was close to where she now lives and where some of the graduation activities were located.
The subway is at Lexington and 68th, about a ten minute walk. However a bus runs up and down York, 1st, and 2nd, plus crosstown--so lots of public transportation options. Also, with its location near the hospital there are always a lot of cabs around.
We had a king bed room that had a small kitchenette (bigger than the "kitchen" in her new UES apartment); nice bathroom, desk with free corded internet access. Good lighting to read by. While there isn't room service they have delivery agreements with several nearby restaurants. While we didn't use the service, we did eat breakfast everyday at Cafe Luka, which also owns Fratelli.
The TV is an old school model, but the cable has about any channel you could ever want.

Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
6 Thank PatriciaF
albany, ny
Reviewed April 16, 2010

I needed to come to New York for my husband's prostate surgery. The convenience and sheer decency of the hotel and the people cannot be beat.

Please note that this is not a vacation-type hotel. It is not like a Homewood Suites in decor but not very far from it , either. Nice, very clean and more than adequately equipped. The rates are very reasonable, made possible by keeping the amenities simple. Our room was clean and neat, but not fancy. The hallways are a little dreary, but it appears the entire facility is undergoing a systematic makeover.
The hotel staff is fabulous. 24 hr concierge and maid service were always helpful and kind, as they acted more like concerned family rather than paid hotel staff. Concierge Jonathan and his counterpart on day the day shift are always present and ready to help but you need to remember they have lots of people to take care of and just be patient.They certainly are with everyone with whom I saw them interact.
If I needed to return to New York City, I would not hesitate to stay here. This hotel is specifically designed for people who, for whatever reason, need to be close to NYC health care system. There is also a grocery store two blocks away to shop. It is very reasonable. I was able to care for my husband in Sloan, let him sleep and go back to the hotel when it was time for him to sleep or nap etc. . When he was discharged, we stayed an extra day just to make sure he was ready to travel and didn't need to be seen again. This place is the best!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
6 Thank bkdAlbany_Ny
Naples, Florida
Reviewed March 27, 2010

My wife and I stayed here on March 25th as I had day surgery at NY Presbyt. Hospital and could not travel for another day. For patients or families who have to be near this hospital or Sloan-Kettering, the location cannot be beat. However, the hotel is only average in its amenities and level of comfort and we would prefer the Bentley down at York & 61st. St. which is a higher level of accomodation. Our room was comfortable though spartan. It was obviously not one of the redecorated rooms it has. The bed was hard though the pillows were good. Bathroom was just ok, towels were not in abundance. In-room coffee maker, kitchenette, and a safe were all plusses. Old type tv set was a minus. Carpet seemed old and worn. It is my impression that the whole place could use some refreshing. Price of $225/night was neither a bargain nor a ripoff. Lots of good restaurants further up on York Ave. and over on First Ave. in easy walking distance. 24hr. deli in building is also a plus.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Equity
SF
Reviewed October 20, 2009

I felt discriminated. The front desk made check in very difficult. I was the first one to check in and when there was a problem they brushed me off to the side.
House keeping called and left a message that I was suppose to wash my own dishes. That was two weeks into the stay. They didn't have a problem for the first two weeks.
When I spoke to other hotel guest they said the housekeeping does their dishes.
The room was old and needed a renovation.
I tried to be nice, but in the end you have to be rude and mean just like them.
If you are out of town and not white, good luck!

Location is very good. Close the Hospital and subway. Nice places to eat. Some really helpful and nice people work there and some not so nice.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank aveda69
NYPGuestFacility, General Manager at New York Presbyterian Guest Facility, responded to this review, November 11, 2009
Dear Sir/Madam:

Your review of your stay at the Guest Facility was disheartening. I am sorry that you felt disrespected in any way.

While some housekeepers choose to do the guest's dishes, especially if their workload is not heavy, it is not a standard operating procedure of ours. At the same time, There are dishwashers in all rooms for our guest's convenience.

I also wanted to let you know that in July we did open a newly renovated floor with totally overhauled suites (The Sovereign Suites). We are in the planning stages of updating all of our rooms in the near future.

I would like to respond to you directly if possible concerning your stay. If you would like me to contact you, please message me with your contact information.

Ed Cleveland, GM