“I Heart Billy's”

Neighborhood: Chelsea
New York City, New York
“I Heart Billy's”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Being a super fan of Magnolia's Bakery, I was excited when Billy's moved into my neighborhood all those years ago. The cupcakes aren't 'exactly' like Magnolia's but it's still good. I'd sell my soul for a pint of their banana pudding and often do at least once a month (-___-) .... The decor is ever so retro chic and makes one feel as if they've entered a time warp, but without all that face distortion and unpleasantness like the movies makes it seem ... Overall, Billy's Bakery is a GOOD time.

Visited October 2013

Walnut Creek, California
“I love cupcakes”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2013

I love cupcakes and every time I visit my friend in New York I have to stop by Billy's Bakery and treat myself to one of their cupcakes. I'd buy some to bring back to California with me, but I don't think they'd last. I'm partial to red velvet so I tend to get that one the most, however, you can't go wrong with their other flavors. Enjoy!

• Visited December 2012
Bishopstoke, England, United Kingdom
“Best cupcake ever!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2013

I bake all the time and love a really nice home-made cake, but often do not find them while travelling. Billy's cakes taste like heaven - good coffee too.

Visited October 2013
Lincoln, United Kingdom
“These are the cupcakes I compare all others to.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

I made the 30 minute round trip walk in the pouring rain just to buy a chocolate-chocolate cupcake from Billy's before my flight home to the UK- I think this says it all. I normally avoid cupcakes, but the frosting is so creamy, and the cupcakes are just sweet enough without having a sugar overload! If only it wasn't a whole plane ride away!

• Visited June 2013
NYC
“American style bakery like no other”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2013

I must say upfront that I'm not all that in favor of American style bakeries (like Magnolia).
The end result seem to me too big, much too fat and overly sweet.

Though Billy's is definitely an American style bakery it is also a little different. Yes the portions are generous, but not eye popping. Their cheese is heavenly and you can have more than two bites before you're arteries clog (like with vast majority if NYC cheese cakes). Banana cream pie and apple crumble are simply delicious. Muffins and loafs are sheer delight.

Service is always nice and the prices, in comparison to the generous portion and the quality of baking, is absolutely fair.

Whenever I dine around Billy's I always save my dessert to be had there.
In fact, coming to think about it - I always make excuses to drop by around once a week.

• Visited October 2013