The Plaza
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Park Lane Hotel(New York City)
  • Room Service
AKA Central Park(New York City)
  • Restaurant
The Whitby Hotel(New York City)
  • Room Service
Chambers Hotel(New York City)
  • Restaurant
1 Hotel Central Park(New York City)
  • Restaurant
The Helmsley Windsor(New York City)
the Quin(New York City)
2,544 results
All reviewsthe palm courtedwardian suitebutler servicerose clubcentral parkthe todd english food hallnew yorkiconic hotelroom serviceturn down serviceluxury hotelbeautiful roomlobby barfifth avenuetimes squarefairmontconcierge
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 11, 2010

I decided to celebrate my birthday in Philadelphia and New York. I had been to The Plaza before the renovation and I wanted to see how it had turned out. Probably a sixth of the original hotel has been turned into the new Plaza, the rest of the building is private residences and they have the best view. The renovation has brought a beautiful Palm Court to life again but the Rose Club is more apt to Las Vegas than the Plaza.

The two queen bedded room was airy, beautiful, perfectly appointed, super clean with fluffy pillows and great beds. Amazingly large white and golden tiled bathroom, with ample choice of amenities.

The free wifi and local calls for Fairmont President's Club was an added bonus.

I got a very nice cake for my birthday and quality of food at breakfast was super. Great cleaning ladies and evening turndown service which can be booked at your favorite time.

There were some glitches thought:

I was told the breakfast included in our package had not a price limit and then we were told the contrary at check out and charges. I have to say that they cancelled the charges but it was unpleasant.

The entrance to the hotel and the Palm Court are always full of tourists who take pictures and you end up feeling like a monkey at the zoo: really annoying.

Service for breakfast and high tea depends upon the area where you are sitting: great if you are lucky to be attended by Elvis or Mary, extremely disappointing in other areas with waiters who were rude and uncouth: two completely different services in the same hotel!

We called for room service twice one evening and nobody answered our call.

The various body lotions left in our bathroom all smelled stale.

The water pipes in the bathroom were noisy and on our first evening there TV didn't work, so we had to wait for the engineer to fix it, right after our favorite show was over.

Shouldn't the butler make sure that everything in your room is in perfect working conditions?

To sum up: they have a beautiful theater and some very talented musician, but the orchestra still needs rehearsing and tuning if they want the audience committed to their melody from beginning to end and pay the price of the ticket without blinking!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
4  Thank vanderluyden
Reviewed September 30, 2010

Helpful doormen, beautiful marble lobby, lovely fresh flowers.

Check-in was a bit of a nightmare due to a front desk manager who didn't know what he was doing, and had an attitude to boot.
He insisted to me that all guests staying at The Plaza pay for their entire stay UP FRONT at the time of check-in. I think not.
Everyone pays the first night's deposit -- not for the entire length of their stay. That is why there is a bill presented upon checking out!

The next morning, Rooms Mgr. Aaron Villareal apologized very nicely for the error from the previous night, and could not have been nicer in trying to make up for it.

I had an Edwardian Fifth Avenue Suite, and the Rooms manager negotiated the rates down nicely at about 30% off, which made the value of the room appropriate.

The website says the room is 900 on the exterior view side and 1,000 square feet on the interior courtyard side, but that must be counting the closets, wall space and bathtub, because in person their is a SMALL bedroom and SMALL living room, and while there is a vestibule in the entry, butler's pantry and space for a computer desk, it doesn't feel anything like 900 total square feet.

The fireplace is simply a fake mantel, which is odd.

The windows are small, and yes, faced 5th Avenue, but all there is to see is large office buildings and condo's. If you get an interior courtyard suite, the windows are larger.

My room was immaculate, with comfortable bed and pillows. Excellent touch-screen for lighting and climate control, etc. Nice flat screen tv.

There are noise issues, bith from the mimimal insulation between the walls which means you can hear noise in the hallway, and from the considerable ongoing street traffic.
Even on the 14th floor it is noisy, so if you are a light sleeper, be forewarned and ask for the interior courtyard, which might be quieter.

Bathroom was pretty with its mosaics and double sinks. It is nice to have the frosted glass on the toilet area, as well as the shower.

The shower was nicely sized, with a big rainhead which only gave mediocre water pressure. It took one minute for the water to heat up.
Amenities were nicely sized at 2.6 ounces, but ther shampoo and conditioner in the shower were not replaced.
The soap by the sink is ridiculously tiny, but the soap by the tub is a nice size. The tub soap was replaced one day, and the sink tub was the first morning, but not on the second morning.
Towels are big and white, but not soft and not that absorbent, either.

I looked at a deluxe rose suite, which claims to be 700 square feet, which doesn't seem nearly that big. Also, the large air-conditioning unit blows right onto the bed.

No chocolates were offered at turn-down, just two small bottles of Fiji water.

Breakfast on the other hand, was superb. The room is beautiful, with its famous glass ceiling. Seating was comfortable and thertables are nicely sized. Food was of the highest quality and very fresh. Portions are generously sized. Service was excellent.

The Todd English food hall downstairs was also a treat. Worth a visit and a quick bite to eat as well.

The complimentary hotel car took me across the park to the superb Michelin 3 star, Jean Georges for lunch. It was a treat to ride in their luxurious Mercedes. They will take you within a ten block radius of the hotel, iof nobody else is using it, and it is on a first come, first serve basis.

Would I stay at The Plaza again? Probably.
The location is great and the service overall was quite good.
The glitches aren't so horrible, just be aware when booking that the room sizes on the web site appear to be exaggerated, and street noise may be inescapable in the city.
Negotiate your room rate with the Rooms Manager, or you will feel a bit ripped off by the price.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
6  Thank CinderellaDearest
Reviewed September 29, 2010

I was really looking forward to staying here, but I has very disappointed. During our stay our bath tap and temp control didn't work, when the water drained from the bath it caused a very load noise like drilling, when I showed the engineer , he said it was a design fault and could not be fixed. On top of that our tv stopped working. The spa was out of order 3 days out of our 7 day stay and the rolls Royce was out of order 4 days. The service was slow. And some staff were rude. When I complained to one of the butlers about all the issues and I mentioned I was paying so much money for a trouble free stay, he proceeded to stay well you got a nice room haven't you. I mean have u forgotten that people actually pay good money because u want good service. These issues could be over looked if u were staying at a 100 dollar a night hotel, but we booked a 1000 a night suite. However the hotel is clean and in a good location.

• Stayed: September 2010
10  Thank jaz007111
Reviewed September 17, 2010

Reserved a Labor Day Weekend special birthday celebration through whatahotel.com (second trip through that site this year). Rate and extras were superior and I checked on that right up until a couple of days before we left. Received a room upgrade as to view on arrival. The room was spacious. The bed was very comfortable. After an excursion we returned to find a birthday cake in our room. At an afternoon tea, the piano player played "Happy Birthday" for my wife and complementary chocolate covered strawberries with lighted candle were brought to our table.

Other than the tea, we only at breakfast at the hotel, but the meals were excellent. During our trip, we sampled egg dishes, pancakes, french toast and sides. All delicious. Service was attentive in all respects.. Complementary driver for trips within a limited distance made some travel convenient and more stylish and comfortable.

My wife had a smile on her face the entire stay.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 9, 2010

I've stayed at The Plaza several times before they renovated and downsized. What a huge improvement they've made! I was a little surprised for a weekend in August the hotel didn't have the usual busy buzz, but I much preferred that than sifting my way through a busy lobby with lots of tourists snapping pictures. The hotel did a fantastic job keeping the beautiful aspect of the iconic hotel's old world charm and infusing the new at the same time. I spent a great deal of time in the bathroom, how can one not when the tub is so massive. The one small problem, it's not like the Four Seasons where the tub fills up in 60 seconds. It took a very very long time for it to fill. The gold plated faucets didn't look so tacky offset with the white. Bathrobes were plush and comfortable.

I didn't take advantage of the vast array of services the hotel offers, but then when you're in NY you want to do more outside than hide in a hotel. I would definitely check out Todd English's food outlet in the basement. It's a great place to grab something quick to eat. The concierge recommended a French Bistro that we were not overly impressed with.

It's a very pricey hotel, I would only recommend it for those who want to stay for a special occasion.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple