“Classic NYC experience”

The Plaza
Ranked #99 of 469 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed December 8, 2013

Booked a last minute weekend at the Plaza for my wife's birthday and it couldn't have been better. Service was prompt and friendly but not overbearing. Enjoyed a drink at the Champagne Bar before heading out to dinner at Maialino. Next morning a light bite and capuccino in the Food Hall were convenient and tasty. No shortage of casual tasty choices down there. After a bit of shopping on 5th walked down to Flatiron to have a bite at Eataly. Despite the crowds we enjoyed our roast beef and pork sandwichs and coffee then toured around the area for a bit. Took a Sunday morning walk through Central Park which is a must for anyone. Can't wait to go back....

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed December 8, 2013

+ Amazing landmark
+ beautiful lobby
+ very nice and helpful staff
+ brilliant room, nice room size, wonderful bathroom
+ housekeeping is very attentive and friendly
+ location
+ very helpful concierge

- the only kind of negative thing is that since the hotel is quite large it is not very personal. staff has probably no chance to really remember guests since there are often also many people in the hotel who are not guests but just want to take a view pictures

all in all: our place to stay during our next trip to nyc

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 3, 2013

Staying at the Plaza has been my dream for nearly 20 years! On our second trip to New York, we decided to book the plaza for one night. We booked the lead-in room. I emailed the hotel a few months prior to explain that it was our first wedding anniversary (we were also engaged in NYC two years prior), and while I understand it is rare to have a park view room (especially in the cheapest category), we would absolutely love and appreciate it. They replied to let me know that the Edwardian Suites are really the only rooms with guaranteed park views. I completely understood and had no expectations of anything different.

Can I just say at this point - even the lobby and public areas of this hotel are gorgeous. The level of service is exceptional (even bar staff), and I think even going to the Palm Court for a meal would be a fabulous experience.

We dropped our bags off around 10:30am on the day of check-in. We knew we wouldn't be able to check in, but we enquired anyway. The very nice man at the desk (SO sorry I didn't get his name, he was fab) let us know that they had reserved a 'partial park view room on the 19th floor' for us, and it wasn't ready yet, but they did have a room available on the 13th floor. I didn't want to give up even a partial view room (again: no expectations!), so we waited. We had lunch reservations at Park Avenue Autumn, so we went there and then walked around Central Park for a bit.

We got back to the hotel around 3pm, and the room still wasn't ready, which was fine. In an exemplary show of service, they gave us 2xdrink vouchers to the value of $28 each! We enjoyed these in the Champagne bar - The Imperial Plaza signature cocktail and a glass of Moet.

The room was ready at about 3:45. We got our room keys and went up. We didn't realise until we were in the (stunning) elevator that the 19th floor was the highest apart from the penthouse! Feeling lucky already. We had to walk right down the end of the hallway to get to our room. We opened the door, walked in, and the room was absolutely gorgeous.

I'd had this fear that because I'd been wanting this for so long, I'd be disappointed (like I was after seeing pictures of the rooms at the Waldorf Astoria) - but I was most definitely not. The room itself exceeded my expectations.

And then I looked out the window...

We had a perfect view of Central Park.

It was slightly obscured by the front side of the hotel, but we could see nearly the whole length of the park. I literally burst into tears and started crying. I cry in movies a lot, but it takes a bit in real life to set me off like this. I was absolutely speechless, and hysterical! We were so blessed, I sat at the desk for hours just taking it in. The colours of the trees (we visited in fall) added to the gorgeous view, it just could not have been better.

While we were still in the room (I didn't plan on leaving!), a knock at the door (after our bags had already arrived) was a man with chocolate covered strawberries, with a card congratulating us on our first anniversary. Little touches like this just make the experience even better - if that's possible!

After taking a million photos of the view and the room, we decided to head down to the Plaza shops. I bought a few bits and pieces at the Eloise store (because I love, love, LOVE the Plaza!), and also spent nearly $200 at the Plaza Boutique - I needed things to remember this experience! They included a large cushion with a sketched picture of the Plaza on the front, a coffee table book on the history of the Plaza and a Plaza hand towel.

We went to the Todd English Food Hall for dinner. We were seated near the Asian section at the bar, was cool to watch the food being cooked and prepared. This is a great dining experience with a lot of great options.

After we headed back up to the room, we put on a movie and ordered room service. This was very Home Alone-esque, I ordered a sundae (DH had cheesecake), and it came with so many little bits and pieces to put on! A turn-down service had occured while we were out, with bottles of Fiji water on each bedside among other things.

I have stayed in only a few true five star hotels throughout the world, but the Plaza has exceeded anything I have experienced before. I would greatly recommend even one night (more if possible) to anyone even considering it. Every detail of the entire hotel is perfect. I could not have dreamt a better experience.

Room Tip: I believe rooms in the back area of the hotel in the 36s-40s will have the best views of the park.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank stelle-89
PlazaHotelManagement, General Manager at The Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2013

Dear stelle-89,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post this great feedback. First and foremost, congratulations on your one year wedding anniversary! We are honored that you chose to spend your first anniversary here at The Plaza and so pleased to hear that your stay exceeded your expectations. We hope to welcome back you and your husband in the future!

Reviewed November 24, 2013 via mobile

We recently stayed here on our first ever trip to New York.
The location is perfect - right on Central Park. There are plenty of restaurants and shops within walking distance or the subway is right across the road.
The rooms are stunning as is the rest of the hotel - you feel like you've stepped back in time. It's just pure opulence.
The hotel is extremely classy, everything looks and feels perfect.
A trip to the bar is a must - best Cosmopolitan I've had in a long time and a great cosy atmosphere.
The service does leave a little to be desired, definitely not what I'd expect from a hotel of this calibre. The bellmen were pretty useless and they made it very very obvious they were waiting for a tip even when they'd barely done anything to help. They very rarely opened the door for you and we had to ask them to carry our bags out to the taxi when we left - something that I would just expect to be done for us.
I often felt a little like we were looked down upon as if we weren't good enough to stay there.

Overall though a beautiful hotel to stay in but probably a once in a lifetime experience.

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank cat-aaron
Reviewed November 23, 2013

If your looking for 5 star luxury, service, position and NYC class, this is a good place to stay. We stayed 3 x nights earlier this month. Bed was very comfortable, our room was large and clean, and nothing was too much trouble for staff. The Plaza is located in a good position on Madison Ave. Our friends stayed at Time Square - we enjoyed Time Square visits, however their feedback was the Time Square area is 'to' busy and noisy for hotel stay. The Plaza rates vary, we payed less on the weekend.
One warning, Manhattan (NYC) is currently one big construction site, including a construction site beside The Plaza. And most construction sites appear to work 24 / 7. So where ever you book, check first that you are not allocated a room beside 24 / 7 construction work.
Note: We finish our trip with a 5 day stay (with our friends) by renting an apartment on 30th Street, East. (Our apartment was not that nice!)
My top NYC highlights include: 1. Ice Hockey at Madison Square Gardens, 2. Billy Crystal show on Broadway, and 3. The new High-line walk finishing with lunch and revamped Chelsea market.

Room Tip: Ask for room away from construction build site side of building. Note: This applies to most hotels...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 12, 2013

You would be wise to take Eloise's advice on this one. This hotel is magical and perfect in everyway. The service goes above and beyond nearly anyone in New York. As a NYC local, I sometime get a room here just for fun, or when i need to escape. I feel like the queen of Manhattan from the moment I check in, to the second I check out. It was a family tradition for many years to move into the plaza hotel all of December. This hotel shines in Christmas time. It brings the magic alive for all ages and extends the great feeling of NYC during the holidays. This is a perfect place to stay for someone who doesn't care about rate and wants the time of their life.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank clarast_berkshire
Reviewed November 11, 2013

I stayed here on a recent business trip. The restaurants and bar staff were attentive and courteous. The facilities were top notch. The room was clean and spacious with tasteful decorations. The housekeeping staff was thorough. I will definitely stay here again on my next trip.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank tvl4fun13

Dear tvl4fun13,

Thank you for your post and for choosing The Plaza for your recent business trip. We are pleased to hear that you found the rooms and facilities top notch and the service attentive and courteous. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to New York City. Thank you again for your post.