“Great place to stay in NYC!”
Review of The Plaza

The Plaza
Ranked #92 of 466 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Great place to stay in NYC!”
Reviewed October 5, 2013 via mobile

This is a beautiful Hotel in NYC, next to Central Park. We were able to walk most places and great shopping is right out the front doors. The rooms and bathrooms are larger than normal in NYC which is great for 3-4 adults. Our bellman Waheed was the best! He was so personable and friendly, he made us feel at home. Our only complaints were the early morning work noise due to the construction being done at the Hotel and the $10 bottles of water. On the 1st night we stopped at the bar for water not realizing that we'd have some in the room and the bartender charged us $30 for 3 average sized bottles which is ridiculous, even for the Plaza. Other than that our experience was a great one.

• Stayed October 2013
2 Thank MishLyn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (302)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed October 3, 2013 via mobile

The plaza is a beautiful hotel with a great history and location. Unfortunately all this means nothing when the hotel offers dismal service. During our stay they were quite busy and the only actual service that functioned was the housekeeping. My room was ready 3 hours after check in time with no apology or compensation.

The Edwardian suite comes with butler service but dare ask the butler for anything and have him treat you like you are a peasant who is inconveniencing him. Ask for anything and be prepared not to received it. 3 phone calls for a robe and during our 4 day stay never received this robe. In fact, any calls requesting anything were ignored.

After an unacceptable first day I made an appointment to speak to the manager. When I woke up early the next morning for the meeting I was rudely told by front desk that "there is no meeting scheduled and that if I had a meeting with the manager the manager would be here"

Prior to this experience the plaza was my favorite NYC hotel. Sadly they have gone from 5 star servixe to 0. Clearly they are having management issues and not offering the service that a 5 star hotel should. I've never stayed at Motel 6 but I am sure the service level there would be better.

Definitely will never return.

• Stayed March 2013
7 Thank liza_loves_travel
PlazaHotelManagement, General Manager at The Plaza, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Dear liza_loves_travel,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us and being a loyal guest of The Plaza. I'm very sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your recent stay. What you've described is unacceptable and I'm sorry that we didn't deliver. I sincerely hope that you will give us another chance on your next visit to New York. Please feel free to email me directly at plaza.official@gmail.com should you wish to make a reservation and give us a chance to turn this around.

Thank you again for your feedback.
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Reviewed September 27, 2013 via mobile

Well it delivered...fantastic experience today for my wife's 40th b'day celebration...James Netzel looked after us with his fantastic staff of the Palm Court ( at the Plaza!)....opposite Central Park, magical location and experience to cherish....well worth it (don't eat before!!)

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Aaron S
PlazaHotelManagement, General Manager at The Plaza, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Dear Aaron S,

Thank you for sharing your experience in The Palm Court! I will relay your great feedback to James and the team. We hope to welcome you and your wife back again soon! Thank you again for your post.
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed September 26, 2013

Working on my bucket list, The Plaza Hotel made my first trip to NYC a dream come true. Excellent location overlooking Central Park. Walking distance to Times Square & Broadway. Travelling alone at my age, the hotel security was very important & I was comfortable returning even late at nite. The hotel itself is a historical monument & my room didn't disappoint. Beautiful, spacious & the bathroom was incredible. The weather was great, so having a room w/ an outdoor terrace was wonderful. The staff is very friendly & helpful. Lower level food court has an excellent selection of desserts, its a good thing I did a lot of walking. Fabulous hotel & vacation.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank SHIRLEY L
Reviewed September 26, 2013

The hotel is in a great location and has great fixtures but the good story ends there. The management and service here is what one would expect in a budget backpackers hotel not when you are spending over $1300 a night. I won't waste my money here again.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Amar15
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed September 21, 2013

I stayed at The Plaza for one night in August, and I was blown away. Its timeless elegance made us feel like we were right on a movie set. The lobby and public areas are gorgeous, with every detail taken care of. The room was totally amazing, with amazing bed linens, a large bathroom and wonderful towels.
We needed ice and of course there are no ice machines on the floors, so a butler in white gloves brought us our ice in a silver bucket. It was nice to be spoiled. Another nice service is the use of the hotel's concierge car that will take you anywhere within a 10-block radius. I highly recommend a drink at the Rose bar as well.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank MichiganMandy
Fort Lauderdale, Florida, United States
Reviewed September 18, 2013

Well if you have never visited the Plaza hotel it is a unique experience. Do you need peace
and tranquility ? Like an old fashion "White glove" environment ?
Than this is a do not miss !!!! Could not think of a better place for honeymoon, anniversary
romantic bonding.
Location is outstanding. Basement has a food court that has an amazing selection
Wines are acceptable, not exceptional

Room Tip: Like the suites, not really a fan of basic rooms. Must book well in advance to get a good deal