“Lives up to its reputation”
Review of The Plaza

The Plaza
Ranked #117 of 473 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed September 7, 2013 via mobile

Had a wonderful 3 nights at the Plaza. The building is sensational, staff professional and facilities everything you would need to create a relaxing and luxury experience. There are some reservations going on at the moment but this does not detract from the experience at all. Even if you only stay one night there I would recommend everyone experiences it at least once.

• Stayed: August 2013
Write a ReviewReviews (2,495)

Reviewed September 6, 2013

Booked through Fairmont reservations. Was NOT told that the hotel is under construction. Checked in today and from the moment the elevator doors opened on our floor we could hear jackhammer and drilling! Got to our room and there was scaffolding completely blocking the window! And then the construction workers started walking back and forth outside our window! A room with a view! NOT! No peace and quiet on our floor or in our room, and we are told this will go on all day even on Saturdays! Completely unethical to not tell customers during the reservation process that there is NOISY construction going on! And thats dealing directly with Fairmont! Our rates were at the same level as the Mark, Four Seasons, Plaza Athenee and other true five star properties. STRONGLY RECOMMEND STAYING AWAY UNTIL THIS CONSTRUCTION IS OVER!!! DO NOT BOOK!!!

Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
12  Thank viptraveler99
Reviewed September 6, 2013

I booked a 3 night visit in late August to celebrate the 75th birthdays of my mother and aunt. Neither had ever been to NYC and always wanted to go. The iconic stature of the hotel, the location and sense of luxury were the reasons I selected this property. That and the Fairmont reputation for service excellence.

We arrived as scheduled on a Sun afternoon - expecting a Deluxe Rose Suite. As it was just 2pm, were a little early for their rather late standard 4pm check-in time. They told me our room was not quite ready, but I didn't mind since they had also upgraded us one level to an Edwardian Suite. (I'm a Fairmont President's Club member and Amex Platinum - both of which provide an upgrade opportunity if one is available). We waited a little over an hour, comfortably ensconced in the lovely Champagne Bar, extension of the lobby, sipping champagne cocktails.

The suite did not disappoint: very room, gorgeously furnished, huge bathroom. The Butler came to introduce himself and walk us through the room, safe, lighting, temp control, details. A lovely bottle of Pinot Noir, fruit basket, and rich chocolate mousse cake were waiting on the table - as a courtesy and birthday greeting. Excellent touch. Needless to say, both my mother and aunt were oohing and aahing.

We had classic Tea in the Palm Court at 4pm - another wonderful experience. And each morning we ate breakfast the same place. Good choices on the menu, though they both exclaimed over the prices (frequently) - I had expected it.

Overall rating: really lovely. Much to be said in the Pros column.
Now for the Cons: Each day something would happen that was just off or annoying so that I can't give them a full Excellent review. And it is true - this is a pricey place to stay. Fine as long as the service and ambience match.

This is the online review I sent to the hotel directly -
Overall, our stay was memorable, because of where we were and the history of your facility. It was a special occasion - 2) 75 yr old birthdays. However, for the stature of the Plaza (and the price), there were several annoying details missed. Some staff were very friendly and attentive, others not at all. Concierge service was spotty (ex: they did not have tickets ready as ordered night before and caused us to rush for a tour; restaurant recommendations were not appropriate for our group). The bathroom near the Rose Bar was FILTHY with overflowing trash, terrible smell. After the Butler introduced himself after check-in, we never saw them again, and they did not ask what we wanted each day nor bring what was asked until I called twice (water, turn down, simple things).

And the last one: on our final night, the in-house Nortel computerized phone system that controls lighting, air, etc. started flashing and going on-off beeping as it tried to reboot. That was at 2am. I was on the fold-out guest sofa (Edwardian Suite - my mom and aunt in the King room). It woke me multiple times, and I did not know I should have just unplugged it. When I came down at 6am to tell the Front Desk - as the phone was not working so I could not call them - she was very short with me, saying it had happened in random rooms around the hotel - and I could have just unplugged it. Thanks so much. Then I asked where I could get a cup of coffee, and she pointed to someone folding napkins in the Champagne lounge. He said certainly he'd get me one, and went into what I assume was the restaurant kitchen. I thanked him, rather bleary-eyed, and started to walk off - until he stopped me quickly, so he could ring up a $9 charge for me to sign. Really? The hotel couldn't even provide me a simple cup of black coffee after keeping me awake half the night? Poor service and attention to detail. I own a PR and Marketing firm, putting on events for clients regularly. Just did one at the Fairmont Georgetown, DC. They would not have treated me or any guest in this manner. Oh - and the fold out sofa bed is atrociously uncomfortable. My mother and aunt did enjoy the regular bed.

Stunning property - needs to fine-tune a few things to be truly great.

Room Tip: The Edwardian Suite was enormous, but if you want a view of Central Park - you need to pay extra.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank DMLehman6
Reviewed September 5, 2013 via mobile

I dropped my wallet outside the Plaza. A kind stranger found it and gave it to the concierge there. Bill emailed me and was generous with his time and sympathy. He patiently walked me through my options. He handed it over to Felix in security who managed to go even further out if his way to ship it to me. He answered my many email inquiries requesting updates with admitable patience and kindness. He went to personal expense to get it to me faster, sensing my anxiety. Every last dollar, receipt, and gift card was there. The wallet arrived 2 days ahead of time. Though I didn't stay at the Plaza, if bill and Felix are any indication, I can tell you that the customer service doesn't get much better.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank pickyreviewerguy
Reviewed September 4, 2013

A truly amazing experience for a life time!!! the room was in a top floor with a great view over the city! Nice furniture and a very nice bathroom. The proximity to Central Park, Fifth Avenue shopping, great restaurants and the upper east side is the best.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank anab1960
Reviewed September 4, 2013

I was a guest here, on the 2nd floor, and had a fabulous time! I'm from New Orleans, so the 11 foot ceilings were common to me, but unusual for anywhere but New Orleans. Rooms were huge, bath was huge and fun. The service was impeccable and ALL the employees were so friendly, I felt like I was at home. Do experience this if you can!

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the 2nd floor, the VIP floor. You won't regret it.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank SimbiPetwo
Reviewed September 3, 2013

It is indeed an iconic hotel. The lobby is amazing, the decor is grande, yet harmonious. and the rooms come with high ceilings. Unfortunately, the lobby is fairly dead at night and the beautiful palm court was closed at night and the restaurant choices are very limited at the hotel. While the location is right in front of the central park, very few rooms come with a view.
Overall a must place to stay at and it was great.

Room Tip: Park View-Signature room-high floor
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business