“Stay of a Lifetime”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Perth, Australia
“Stay of a Lifetime”
Reviewed August 8, 2013

Any stay here should be for a special occasion, there is no place that will ever compare. You do feel like a movie star just staying here. Service is superb as would be expected as the price is STEEP in fact, it hurts!
The room was BEAUTIFUL, and the marble bathroom was the best I've ever seen with gold plated everything. The room was much smaller than I expected, and did seem very cluttered due to cramming so much in there. The extra high ceilings did make up for it quite a bit. But the bed was awesome and I never slept so comfortably.
The "personal butler" was not what you would expect at these prices! He just made me uncomfortable and awkward.
A butler should be humble - but he behaved as tho he thought I should be his.
I am just being picky because this is a review but like I said " this was a trip of a lifetime" and I was never at any point disappointed.
There was always a beautiful touch made to the room and bathroom everyday.
This hotel makes your stay in New York PERFECT as you are a stones throw away from
THE BEST of EVERYTHING!
I will never forget my stay here and would definitely do it again one day.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Billy_en_Rose

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (305)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed August 7, 2013

We stayed in the plaza while in NYC on honeymoon and everything was spectacular. From the views to the food and the staff I didn't have to lift one bag while I was there. Not only is the quiet Central Park outside the door but your in the middle of all the hype from shopping to horse and carriage rides.. The hotel itself is amazing the rooms are 1 of a kind.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank aishling_hurley
Reviewed August 3, 2013

Everyone should stay here at least once in a lifetime. What an amazing experience and wonderful memory! Sure, it's pricey but for me and my 10-year old daughter, it was worth every penny. Every member of the hotel staff treated us with the utmost courtesy and respect. They were kind and welcoming throughout our stay. They were readily available and went out of their way to make sure we had all that we needed and more. The location was close to many attractions and we felt very safe in the area. A perfect location for a 10-year old (across street from Central Park, Central Park Zoo, FAO Schwartz, easy walking distance to MoMA, etc.). The room was like staying in a palace, an elegant and very large room according to big city standards. The concierge was extremely helpful with recommendations and reservations. The Food Hall under the Plaza was pricey but the food was great quality and it had a wide variety of options. Breakfast in the Palm Court was also fantastic in every way... service and quality. As we were leaving, the front bellhop said, "Good-bye, Eloise" to my daughter which was a perfect ending to our perfect stay.

Room Tip: We were on the 10th floor facing the courtyard. It was very quiet...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank wanderluster44
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed August 2, 2013

We were invited by my Mother in Law to stay at the Plaza for a long weekend from July 25-29th. I''ve always wanted to stay at the Plaza Hotel but would never stay there again! Of course, as noted by other reviewers, the Hotel facade is totally covered with scaffolding and netting. The view from our room was obscured by the netting and included a mud splattered workman's glove stuck to some dirty stucco on the scaffold. Our room #541.
During the daytime, a large refuse truck was parked by the building next door, which was also undergoing renovation. I heard the metal waste bins being dumped into the trash bin constantly and it continued until midnight. We couldn't sleep even with pillows over our heads...it was that loud. I called the front desk and "sorry, we cant control the noise" blah, blah, blah" They did offer to switch our room to a higher floor the next day, which we did. It was a pain to pack up again and move but they sent a bellman to move our luggage to room 1632. After we had to call the front desk twice to get him up there.
This was Saturday. My MIL worked with the concierge in advance to have a special Birthday party for our nephew in her room on Saturday afternoon, it was not the chocolate covered strawberries, champagne, awesome cake & balloons, with an adult size Plaza Bathrobe as a gift, not the party she expected or paid for. No champagne, strawberries, a child's size bathrobe (our Nephew is 14) no ice, spaarkling WATER. As our nephew put it "what a rook"
Saturday night, wanting a nightcap, I open our minibar and it's not plugged in. So I can't enjoy an ice cold coke or make a vodka tonic. No coffee station in the rooms either. But if you want to go to the Todd English Market Place, you can buy a coffee...oh, except on Sunday when it doesn't open until 11am. But you can buy a coffee service in the Champagne Bar for $23, which we did. And it was delicious.
On checking out Monday morning, both parties called for Bellman service to take our luggage downstairs. After waiting 30 minutes, my husband brought our luggage down. Then, I see my 79 year old MIL bringing down her own luggage too. Seriously! The Bellmen just never showed up.
The main problem that I had with the Hotel was the theft the occured in our room. When I unpacked my suitcase and toiletries bag on Monday evening upon returning home, I discovered that my new bottle of Latisse eye formula was missing. It was a new bottle, $99 purchased the day before our trip. I used it on Saturday night, not Sunday night and didn't discover it was missing until we arrived home Monday. I called to Hotel and described the missing item, told the security people that it was stolen and they said they would "get back to me" Which they did, to review my statement. Then they called again on Wednesday and implied the I must have misplaced or lost my Latisse. I was fuming! I called again on Thursday, spoke to the Manager & Security called me today. Their resolution was to say "It was doubtful that anyone on their staff would have stolen the item, because the staff servicing our room has been with them for 10 years etc." But they offered to reduce our bill by $100 to compensate my loss. Which means nothing to me, since my MIL was paying the bill anyway. So, I'm still out $99 and have to go buy more Latisse.
If you do stay at the Plaza, if you have nice perfume, Latisse or expensive Skin care like Obagi, lock it in your safe along with anything else of value. Maybe it's easier for the thieves who work there to steal small items. WE WILL NEVER STAY AT THE PLAZA AGAIN! We have stayed at the Four Seasons & Ritz Carlton and never had any of these problems.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank magicshel
PlazaHotelManagement, General Manager at The Plaza, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
Dear magicshel,

Thank you for your post. We are very sorry to hear that you were unhappy with your recent visit, but would like to take this opportunity to address some of your concerns. As is shared with our guests, the building facade is covered in scaffolding for a mandatory city inspection. This is a health and safety measure that all buildings in New York City must undergo every few years. I am pleased to hear we were able to move you and your family to a room on a higher floor and hope that this resolved your challenges with the street noise.

In regards to your missing eye formula, our Security team did a thorough investigation and found no evidence of theft. Since the $100 compensation was accepted, we believed this to be resolved to your satisfaction. If this is not the case, please feel free to contact our hotel manager Tracy Lowe at tracy.lowe@fairmont.com or 212-5465202.

Thank you again for your post.
Reviewed July 30, 2013 via mobile

I have always wanted to stay at the plaza, so I was disappointed upon our arrival to find the entire building covered with scaffolding. No one ever mentioned that the building was currently being worked on and is completed covered on the outside. It is beautiful, but not as personable as I had imagined it would be. The room was large considering it is a NYC hotel, and being close to the park is a huge plus. Clean and comfortable. Disappointed with room service, our breakfast was expensive considering it arrived cold and dry. The Todd English marketplace is also overrated, go somewhere else. All in all, it is The Plaza, so you have to enjoy your stay just for the history and elegance, however for the price you pay you just might expect a little more.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Livetovacation365
North Richland Hills, Texas
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Like most of the reviews, I have always wanted to stay at the Plaza. We have been to New York many times. However we usually come at Christmas and the hotel rates are sometimes almost double normal rates. We booked a AAA rate of $635 a night. A week before our trip I went on the website and changed our room to a non refundable rate. It lowered it to about $470 a night. Our room was very large for a New York hotel. Probably one of the nicest we have stayed in. Loved everything about the room. The bed was comfortable, the bath was large. My husband had a suit cleaned and a butler came and got it and hung in back in the closet when it was done. They have amazing desserts downstairs in the food hall. We got cheesecake and cupcakes more than once. We ate in the restaurant for dinner one night. The food was good. The service was just okay, but it didn't take long to eat. Yes, the hotel was expensive, the bar was expensive, and we saw the room service was expensive. However, we knew what we were getting into. So, just be aware. The staff was friendly. We came in very late one night after a concert and the security at the door chatted with us asking about the concert, where we were from, etc. The only small thing that annoyed me was at check in. The door man took our bags to the front desk for us. My husband was going to tip him, of course, but his hands were full and hadn't gotton a chance to get out his wallet. The door man stood there waiting for his tip. I realize they are used to being tipped, but thought it seemed a little rude. I would stay here again in a minute.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Anniston, Alabama
Reviewed July 30, 2013

My daughter and I spent the weekend of July 14th at the Plaza. We were so happy with the way we were treated during our stay. All departments gave us service that was extraordinary.
The concierge attendants arranged for our use of the BMW bikes (free for Fairmont President's Club members) and even adjusted the seats for us. A welcoming letter was sent to us ahead of our stay and I mentioned that the stay was a belated birthday for my daughter and a cake was delivered to our room. Wow, she was thrilled and surprised.

Our room was very comfortable- there is an ipad for temperature control and surfing. The room safe has two electric outlets so we were able to charge our electronic devices while we were out and about. The hotel also recycles.

This stay will always be a favorite travel memory!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank efoss
Dear Efoss,

Thank you for your review. I'm thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay with your daughter! We hope to welcome you back in the future to make more travel memories!