“What can you say?”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Livingston, United Kingdom
“What can you say?”
Reviewed July 13, 2013

Spent a few days at the Plaza this month for my daughter's wedding.

Nothing was too much trouble. However I garee with some of the comments that many other 5 Star hotels offer more reasonable rates such as service charges for room service etc. Worth a few days for such a special occasion...

Room Tip: Would recommend taking a suite
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (302)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
White Plains
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Nothing at this hotel is taken for granted. Nothing but the best from the second you walk in to the last second that you leave. Tourist abound and there is the need for much security. But the fashion of 5th Avenue and the magnificent rooms, restaurants and everything that is associated with this hotel is the very top of first class.

Room Tip: Either facing 5th or facing Central Park
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JP J
Westlake Village, California
Reviewed July 8, 2013

To summarize, this is not a 5 star hotel but, as others noted, more like a convention hotel with swarms of people and an absence of serenity.
If you like great hotels, you'll be disappointed.
First, the 3 big positives--great air conditioning, my deluxe Rose suite was large and the personnel were nice, albeit, often incompetent.
Reserved 6 rooms for my family and had problems with all but 1. $ rooms had to be changed. !room, an Edwardian suite with a connecting bedroom leaked condensation all over the floor. My 2 year old grandson got locked in a room and the hotel was slow to respond and only did so when my son threatened to call 911 to get him out.
Our Rose suite had a small bathroom-single sink with a shower/tub combo. Yet, our other childrens deluxe rooms all had nicer baths.
The Palm Court couldn't do breakfast right and the waiter at tea couldn't care less.
The elevators stopped working for 30 minutes during the day forcing guests to carry their luggage downstairs.
Prices for food and drinks are ludicrous. A small cocktail is $22, a beer costs $12 and a coke is about $8. Fine hotels, at least, serve complimentary snacks with drinks at the bar but not here--if you're lucky, you might get some popcorn.
This morning, we ordered room service consisting of 1 continental breakfast,a juice, coffee and 2 bananas for a total cost of about $100.
No one ever asked about our stay.
All in all, I would not stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank pamshusband
Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

The plaza Hotel on Central Park had been on my bucket list for quite some time. The location in the park, obviously can not be beat. The room was beautiful and wonderfully clean. We felt totally safe with two round children and they worked hard to accommodate us and make the kiddos comfortable. If you get the chance to upgrade to a suite, go for it. It's worth the extra coin.
It was certainly a wonderful stay and you have to at some point during your stay have tea in the palm court. Overall, the hotel was beautiful and the Taft was accommodating especially since we had two young children with us.

• Stayed December 2012
2 Thank Loandal
Ann Arbor
Reviewed July 3, 2013

The hotel is fantastic. We stayed recently in a Deluxe Rose suite. Very large by NYC standards. Bathroom, with mosaic design tile, is beautiful.
While we will stay there again, the experience was marred by the very thing that draws us there to begin with- it is famous, we wanted to be a part of it, but so many others have the same intent. With many other luxury hotels, the guests are treated with personal, attentive service. There are so many tourists and visitors coming in to check out the hotel lobby and first floor, that I think the staff has a hard time distinguishing who are the current guests. This limits their ability to deliver the personal attention that is usually found at other luxury hotels. Eddie, one of the bellmen, was a notable exception. He was very engaging with our 4 year old son, greeting him with a good New York "How YOU doin'?" each time he would see him, to the delight of our little guy. The concierges were fantastic. Doormen in front had a hard time recognizing that I was a guest, and giving assistance navigating the front stairs with a 4 month old in a stroller (no ramp).
Sunday breakfast buffet is very reasonably priced in the Palm Court ($35), but I would expect more, with an appropriately higher price.
I wonder if there is any way the hotel can, or would, limit non-guests to certain areas so that the guest experience is more personal. Maybe identifying ribbons for the shirt/ sleeve, LiveStrong-like bracelet that says 'The Plaza' to wear while there (change colors each month or year)? Also, the Four Seasons Nevis provides toy stuffed howler monkeys in the rooms to reflect local island animal life. Kids loved them, and still have them on the beds. Given obvious fame of Eloise, maybe a guests-only version of an Eloise doll for rooms with kids would add a personal touch. Finally, Kevin, the concierge at Holiday Inn Historic Charleston (trip advisor notable comments) takes select guests on a late-evening tour of historic Charleston areas, just because I think he likes to give the guests an amazing experience. Maybe there could be special guest-only tours of The Plaza, seeing historic parts of the hotel?

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank Alfredo101
Connecticut
Reviewed July 1, 2013

The Plaza Hotel is probably the most famous hotel in the United States. It is historic and legendary. In my quest to stay at as many of the finest hotels that I can, in my mind, it was time to stay at The Plaza. I had booked a 5th Avenue Edwardian Suite for a one night stay. I was in the city taking the kids to see Matilda and I sprung for the nice suite. I was surprised when we arrived at the hotel early in the afternoon. The hotel is undergoing its mandated facade inspection, so the exterior of the hotel is surrounded by scaffolding. The hotel masks the process with a fabric on the outside of the scaffolding that mimics the hotel windows on the outside of the building. I was not sure what to expect and my first thought was I picked the wrong time to stay here. Fortunately, my fears were put to rest. The hotel generously upgraded us to a Terrace Suite on the 20th floor. It was the P1 button on the elevator. The suite was gorgeous. It looked out on the interior courtyard and the terrace looked out on 58th Street above the scaffolding. It was two floors of hotel perfection. The first floor had a beautiful living room, a TV room, a handsome wet bar area, and a 3/4 bath. The second floor had a beautiful spacious bedroom and a hallway that led to the outside terrace. The decor was regal and stylish. The bed was a cloud and the terrace was an amazing feature. Service was warm and professional. All my requests were handled with the expertise that one would expect from a world class property. I tip my cap to the Plaza Hotel. They rose to the occasion under difficult circumstances. It was an amazing suite experience.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank saint22
PlazaHotelManagement, General Manager at The Plaza, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Dear Saint22,

Thank you for sharing your wonderful feedback with us here on TripAdvisor. I'm thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay in our lovely Terrace Suite. While the facade of the building is indeed undergoing a mandated inspection, we assure our guests that the standard of luxury hospitality and uncompromising service set by The Plaza over one hundred years ago continues to remain truly unforgettable. I'm so happy to hear that this rang true for your stay. Thank you again, and we hope to welcome you back very soon!
Rancho Santa Fe, California
Reviewed June 28, 2013

Much to my dismay, The Plaza is going through a massive exterior renovation - and has scaffolding and nets blocking the ENTIRE HOTEL. While I certainly understand that refurbishments are necessary, I'm very bothered that no where does The Plaza advise potential guests of this mess. There are literally workmen staring in your 15th floor window early in the morning as a welcome. I am paying $3,000 per night for a 2 bedroom suite - and ALL of my windows (in fact, all windows for the entire hotel) are severely impaired. You might as well rent an interior room somewhere else - as the value of being in The Plaza is half eliminated. I think The Plaza should be sued, maybe a class action from all of the guests who have been visiting, for not telling anyone about this prior to arrival. I used to be a fan of the hotel - but not anymore. Borderline fraudulent - and certainly severe misrepresentation. Incredibly disappointing.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family