“unknown credit card charges”
Review of The Plaza

The Plaza
Ranked #91 of 466 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
berkeley nj
“unknown credit card charges”
Reviewed June 23, 2013

my wife and I was in town for minor medical surgery stayed three night every thing was very good top of the top except when we went home checked my credit card statement on line found a charge from Iberia travel in spain never been to spain never used my credit card in new York except for the check in I even paid my final bill in cash be carefull , matter under investigation and I hope it is some sort of a mistake because the hotel is realy nice

Room Tip: do not give your credit card info to just any one get the manager on duty.
Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank shoiab
PlazaHotelManagement, General Manager at The Plaza, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Dear Shoiab,

Thank you for you post here on TripAdvisor and we are pleased to hear that everything was good during your stay. We are sorry to hear about the unknown charge to your credit card, as we understand how frustrating it can be. While it is under investigation, please feel free to contact us directly at feedback@theplaza.com should you have any concerns. The Plaza, as with most hotels, has very strict credit card processes and take these matters very seriously. Again, if we can be of any help we would be happy to assist.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (302)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Tbilisi, Georgia
Reviewed June 20, 2013

This is one of the best hotels I have been to.
Location, service, rooms - all were superb! My room was spacious, and well-furnished.

However, it also costs a lot! :-)

Breakfast is also great and so is the restaurant itself.

Room Tip: Well, Central Park view is surely very nice. :-)
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Palm Beach, FL
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Recently, my young daughter and I had the pleasure of staying at The Plaza for several days. The location is great, not just because of the proximity to Central Park and shopping, but also because the front of the hotel has its own small street where you can enter and exit transportation without dealing with oncoming traffic. The doorman was extremely helpful and offered the house car to take us to dinner when we were dining nearby. All of the staff was courteous, attentive, and very friendly. We stayed in a Rose Suite which is simply a larger room with a sitting area but found it to be clean and very nice. The bathrooms are huge for a hotel room and really well stocked and lovely. (They have a Caudalie spa on site so the bath products are great). I rarely sleep well in hotel but had no problem in the comfortable surroundings here. I met some of the housekeeping staff as they were performing their duties and they were very friendly and efficient. There were a few small issues (hairdryer didn't work) but the staff took care of them immediately. The food court downstairs is a great addition and I will review it separately. We also enjoyed tea at the Palm Court and I look forward to this experience again. The hotel has the Eloise themed store and other touches for children so be sure to prep your kids on that before you go. They added some nice touches in our room just for my daughter which made our arrival so special to her. The Plaza is a beautiful hotel with a lot to offer but the friendly welcoming staff made it great! I would love to visit some other hotels in NYC as I have done in the past but I think I might stick with this one for a while.

Room Tip: The higher floors are very quiet.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear ILola,

Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful feedback. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay and were able to take advantage of everything The Plaza has to offer - from Afternoon Tea at The Palm Court and The Plaza Food Hall to the Eloise shop and our Caudalie bath products (which are truly divine!). We look forward welcoming you back on your next trip to NYC and hope that it will be just as memorable. Thank you again for your post.
Florida
Reviewed June 17, 2013

We checked in on a Thursday and out on Sunday. I was extremely excited to stay here. Upon my arrival (10ish am), my room was not ready, which was fine since it was so early. They stored my luggage for me and I set out for a short walk. I came back to have a light lunch in the champagne bar, but no one would take my order or even hand me a menu. I think this is due to the number of people coming in and "checking out" the hotel. My room was ready early and I was surprised when the bell man brought me my bags and walked away, I had asked for them to be brought up.
My initial arrival is what makes me give the hotel a 4 out of 5.
After that morning, everything was spectacular. We stayed in room 1126, it was spacious and charming, I will post pictures of the room. The bed and pillows are dreamy, my only negative about the room is I could use more light in the bathroom to help get ready.
Aziz, in the champagne bar is WONDERFUL and funny. He really made it a joy to come back after a long day of walking to rest our tired feet! We had a wonderful bell man on the way out, I forget his name :( it ended in ...eed.
LOcation is fabulous! The food in the food hall down below is delicious! The lobster salad is YUMMY! We ran into Jennifer Lopez and a friend of ours ran into Cuba Gooding Jr.
We will definitely be back!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Cucchitravels
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 16, 2013

When visiting Manhattan, especially at Christmas time, be sure to go into the Plaza Hotel to see their magnificent Christmas Tree and decorations. Although very pricey, put money aside for lunch or High Tea in the Palm Court. This is an experience, I promise you, will be a lifetime memory!

When our daughter was growing up, being from New York, I would take her two or three times a year to the Plaza for Ladies Lunch or High Tea. The ambiance alone is worth every second there!!

I have always believed in memory building with your child/children..We cherish our memories of beautiful times together at the Plaza, and so will you! Enjoy

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Ireland
Reviewed June 15, 2013

We had a wonderful stay at the Plaza hotel in June. The room was amazing. So luxurious and comfortable. The food hall is superb with a magnificent selection of food. The downside is the service. You certainly do not feel like a valued customer. The staff we encountered were indifferent and verged on downright rude.
The concierge staff were very helpful but the bell men and door men were of a two star standard. When we were leaving the doorman literally threw our cases into the taxi. The taxi driver had to get out twice to sort the cases. Not what you would expect from a five star hotel. We have stayed in five star hotels throughout the world but have never experienced such rude and indifferent service. We would hesitate to recommend the Plaza on that basis. Whilst the property is certainly luxurious and worthy of a five star rating, the level of service certainly is not. We would recommend retraining of all service staff. They need to realise that without valued customers like us, they would not have a job.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear DiscerningDiner66,

Thank you very much for sharing your honest feedback with us. While thrilled that you loved the hotel and our amenities, we are truly very sorry to learn of the disappointing service experience. We apologize for this, and thank you for bringing it to our attention. While your stay certainly did not meet the highest level of service we are capable of, we sincerely hope you will choose to give us another chance in the near future. Thank you again for your post.
Key West, Florida
Reviewed June 12, 2013

Everyone should be so lucky to spend the night or nights at one of NYC's treasured landmarks. It is the quintessential NY experience.
The staff are the benchmark for a five star experience.
We stayed for 5 days prior to the Tony awards to catch up on all the nominated shows and go to the post show gala. Wow! They do know how to throw a party.
Todd English' Food court on the lower level is a must.
Sit in the lobby bar and have Aziz cater to your every need. Michael(Asst Butler Mgr) will go above and beyond to make your stay memorable, not to mention the concierge that will perform miracles. Need to also mention the Doormen/Bellstaff. Raining? No problem with taxis or getting the "house" car to take you short distance.

This comes from a NYC concierge for many years.. Treat yourself

Room Tip: Become a Fairmont member! It is worth its weight in gold.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business