“1st Time in NYC”

The Plaza
Ranked #112 of 471 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed May 23, 2013

This was our first trip to NYC and i wanted it to be special, so we decided to just go all out! We picked the Plaza Hotel, I had heard about this hotel through TV, Movies and word of mouth, so i figured i would mark it off of the bucket list. When i arrived at the hotel, man, it was right out of a movie! Red carpet, the details in the lobby, i mean everything was just so classic and well maintained. Checked in and headed up to our room in the secure elevator. Opened the door and it was like a dream. The decor was perfect, the art, the furniture, everything was soo nice. The room was basically controlled by an Ipad (Temp, TV, Lights and room services - very cool). Headed to the very large bathroom and let me just say this was a wow feature! The detail in this bathroom was second to none, 24k gold fixtures and the tile work was really fantastic. At night when we decided to retire, we hit that wonderful bed and slept better then we had in years! S&F mattress was probably one of the most unforgettable features of that room, it was like we were just floating in clouds!

Service was great, the hotel staff was really helpful. We were also able to take advantage of using the hotel car. Since we were doing dinner and traveling within a close radius of the hotel, this was really nice. Again, great stay and a lot of old school charm.

Room Tip: As for a room facing the Park and if its not to cold, get a room with a terrace.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,454)

Reviewed May 21, 2013

This was the worst experience I have ever had at any hotel, and I travel at least once a month to luxurious hotels. I was DOWNGRADED to a room below what I had reserved, and the staff members kept giving me the same scripted excuse and fake apology. It was completely disappointing and I will NEVER forget how horrible from start to finish my experience was. They offered to comp breakfast for me (up to $80 each morning) and then SEPERATELY charged me the full bill $92.96 on the last morning, in which I had to call and explain to them for 20 minutes that they need to credit me for that breakfast, then their thrifty refund was just the $80, after I was told they would take the entire charge of my american express for the incovenience....completely horrible check in and out and I will never recommend The Plaza to anyone. Total waste of money, and worst service for a "luxury" hotel I have ever come across....

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank A M
Reviewed May 19, 2013

I have booked a One Bedroom suite thinking that I'm going to have a Central Park View, but unfortunately the view was to the internal yard! and there's no any central park view rooms in the hotel as they're already sold for the resident. Otherwise, the service was good, the food was good and the Concierge was EXCELLENT!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 17, 2013 via mobile

Everyone should treat themselves at some point in their life....this was my treat to me :) I booked in with my youngest child who was 16 and it was a treat for her birthday. Sheer opulence, the Plaza and the staff along with breakfast each day in the Palm Court was the absolute best, if you like and appreciate luxury and want a little time out from your own life's stresses...then in my view you can't do much better than soak yourself in the decadence and history of New Yorks iconic Plaza Hotel.

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank ParisTinkerbell
PlazaHotelManagement, General Manager at The Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2013

Dear ParisTinkerbell,

Thank you for posting your review here on TripAdvisor. We are so pleased to hear that you chose to stay with us for your daughter's 16th birthday and as a well deserved treat for yourself. We look forward to welcoming you both back for another special occasion! Thank you again for sharing your review.

Reviewed May 13, 2013

Had the chance to go th The PLaza for three nights , what a trip. We had room 1639 that looked out to the side . The frontb of the hotel looks straight at Central park and is on 5th Avenue, greatspot for touring round . Our suite was huge with a large sitting room with antique style french furniture , kitchen area with microwave and fridge. Entrance hall with double wardrobe and toilet. The bed room housing the enormous bed was through a secret door either side of the fireplace with large tv on each side. Heating and lighting controlled by ipad. off the bedroom was the main bathroom and dressing area with two more double wardrobes , safe etc. Elegant bathroom with walkin shower and toilet areas.

The staff were great , we ate in the food hall one night and it was good although initially a bit confusing . You could sit anywhere in Todd English and eat anything so for instance we watched a man cooking at a pasta bar but had burgers - boy were they good . Rose bar lovely at night.
Cant comment on breakfast as we had the Oak room set up for our company - that was superb so I guess the staff know whats what. .

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 12, 2013

Best hotel, service, location and charme in NY! Unfortunately we spent here just one night but has been a dream! We loved it! Beautiful room, with a big mosaic bathroom , big comfortable bed. Fantastic , simply a dream hotel!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
PlazaHotelManagement, General Manager at The Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2013

Dear ElenaUdin,

We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay here at The Plaza. We hope to welcome you back on your next trip to New York City!

Reviewed May 8, 2013

Have just returned from a 3 night stay at this hotel and I loved it here., I found most of the staff friendly,polite, courteous and welcoming. The staff in the restaurant maybe not quite so, it was odd no to get a friendly 'good morning' as you came down for breakfast that we got everywhere else in NY!
Agree that it's a shame the building is completely covered in scaffolding at the moment ( as is every other building in NY !) as it does detract somewhat from the experience but inside, it's absolutely beautiful and the rooms are lovely, spacious and well equipped. The food halls underneath the hotel are an experience too.

The lifts did take a while and particularly of a morning with bell boys taking luggage down in the lifts but this really didn't affect my stay here

Fantastic location right on Central Park ( and almost opposite Tiffany's!), good for high end shopping and if going with kids, the FAO Schwarz toy shop opposite the hotel is fab! I would love to return here some day.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business