“The Plaza is the Essence of New York”
Review of The Plaza

The Plaza
Ranked #107 of 470 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed February 18, 2013

My husband and I spent a long anniversary weekend in New York at the Plaza Hotel and it was just the kind of experience I had hoped to have for my first trip to New York City. We spent a wonderful weekend sightseeing, shopping and eating. We toured all the sights that someone visiting New York would be expected to see including the Statue of Liberty, the NBC television studios, Central Park, etc. The Plaza was a big part of that experience where we ate many of our meals and enjoyed the Eloise tea. We went for a carriage ride through Central Park that began right in front of our hotel and crossed the street to go to the fabulous toy store and get a slice of pizza. Later that weekend we had a package that had us eating dinner at the Plaza then being taken to a Broadway play by limo. It was truly an outstanding way to be introduced to New York and one that will always live in my memory.

Room Tip: To be honest, we went with the least expensive room, but it was still a great experience. This is a...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Susan W
Write a ReviewReviews (2,396)

Reviewed February 12, 2013

My experience for late night drinks at the Rose Club was horrific. My family and I were walking back from dinner and had a craving for some warm drinks - and what better place than the Plaza? Or so we thought.

The atmosphere was wonderful, I will say that. Even strolling in at 11p they had a small jazz ensemble going and at the velvet and low red light made it a wonderful lounge. This alone is what merits them 2 instead of 1/5.

I thought it odd though that, of the entire place that was mostly empty, they stuck us back in a corner right next to another group of people. I guess they did that for ease of the servers, not thinking of perhaps giving the patrons a little more space to enjoy.

We ordered a Hot Toddy and some sort of hot chocolate drink (sadly no Hot Butter Rum that I was craving). They came in what looked like red wine glasses... which I thought was odd considering they were hot drinks. They were so scalding hot that it took awhile before we could even try them and it was dangerous to try and hold anything but the stem of this glass, which was awkward. The Hot Toddy was a little too strong for any of us to stomach, so we figured we'd catch the waiter to doctor it a bit. It was nigh impossible to get him over to where we were. Eventually, we gave up and figured he'd have to come over check on us at some point. He didn't. The drink got cold and we stopped caring, being a little put off from being ignored.

There was barely a sip out of the Hot Toddy and he brought the bill, which was the second time he ever came to the table. I've been to a lot of places that weren't half as upscale as this and the waiters are mindful of your drinks. They know when you need a refill, they notice when you haven't touched your drink - usually they ask what was wrong and offer some solution. This guy just snapped up the credit card and was back in a flash to have us sign and get out. Mind you, it wasn't that close to closing at that time either.

I won't be going back, from the bad taste in my mouth about it all.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
8  Thank CostalCruiser
Reviewed February 7, 2013

The Plaza did a wonderful job of hosting our wedding, and we greatly enjoyed our stay there. The hotel has a lot of amazing historic details, and the rooms are quite charming. The location is excellent, and you can easily obtain lots of good food close by.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
PlazaHotelManagement, General Manager at The Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2013

Dear kitkat343,

Thank you for your post and congratulations on your recent wedding! We are thrilled that we were able to be a part of such a special occasion. We hope to welcome you back on your one year anniversary!

Reviewed February 5, 2013

A New York classic. great hotel with great location near the Central Park. very efficient and quick check-in. well sized luxurious rooms that are controlled by an Ipad. Visiting and dining at the Plaza Food Hall by Todd English is a must.Their luxury complimentary car is fun to ride for close areas. Will definitely visit again.

Room Tip: higher floor street view rooms
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ErolBrc
Reviewed February 4, 2013

With a major birthday approaching I thought it finally time I splurged and flew to New York to stay at the Plaza. It was a wonderful experience that if you have the chance at some point in your life, I would highly recommend. Our suite was perfect - spacious, clean and beautifully decorated with lovely furniture. It also had a fabulous shower in a glorious bathroom and one of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in (be sure to warm up with the fur comforter!). Lovely linen and special touches such as a welcome snack and champagne made the experience memorable. While we didn't have the need to interact with the staff to a great extent, those that we did speak to were friendly and efficient. Our only complaint was we found the Palm Court breakfast rather plain and the service exceptionally slow despite not being particularly busy. However the hotel itself was fabulous and for a "bucket list" experience it was perfect.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MunchenerReisender

Dear MunchenerReisender,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us here on TripAdvisor. I am so happy to hear that you chose to spend your birthday at The Plaza and that we were able to make it a memorable one! It's great to hear that you loved your suite, in particular the 'glorious' bathrooms, comfortable beds and the welcome amenity and champagne to celebrate the special occasion. I would d like to apologize that your breakfast experience at The Palm Court was less than stellar, and assure you that I have shared your comments with the Executive team. Thank you again for your post, and we hope to welcome you back on your next visit to New York!

Reviewed February 3, 2013

What's not to like about this hotel? Let's start with the iconic location across from Central Park (and the Apple store!). Next, extremely courteous, helpful and welcoming staff. Beautiful public spaces and room decor that is luxurious and tasteful, including stunning mosaics in the extra large bathroom. Thoughtful touches like a nightlight in said bathroom, and generously sized toiletries. Free wifi for Fairmont President's club members. The hotel car, available on a first come basis, to take you to the opera in style. And finally,grace under pressure: staff dealt quickly and generously with an incident that required us to change rooms.

Room Tip: Views are not a strong point but who spends time in NYC staring out the window?
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jane H
Reviewed January 28, 2013

I stayed at The Plaza Hotel with my Cousin for 2 nights when we visited NYC on a Business Trip. The Room was quite spacious and comfortable, and the Staff Service was one of the best I've had in my trips. The location of the Hotel is pretty good, as we just had to walk for a short while to find all the places we were looking for, like Variety of Restaurants, Tourist Places, Shopping Areas and many more. The Plaza Hotel was right up to its Standard, in terms of Service, Cleanliness & Comfort.

All I could say is that We enjoyed the stay at The Plaza and will be surely staying there in our next trip as well, and is surely Recommended to all of you......Hope U Enjoy the Stay.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business