“Breathtaking”

The Plaza
Ranked #101 of 468 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed January 8, 2013 via mobile

From the magnificent chandeliers to the service, the atmosphere and oh.......the massage. The room is controlled by an iPad. The tub can fit four people. I felt like royalty. At least experience this luxury once. Also, the food is amazing.

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank JONATHAN O
There are newer reviews for The Plaza

Reviewed January 6, 2013

I arrived at the Plaza after getting off the Queen Mary 2 for a night before i flew home the new day.
The service was good, room beautiful and hotel excellent on all counts as far as I could see even though I was only there a day.
The location is perfect for anybody visiting New York and I would recommend the hotel to anyone.
I think what made my visit even more special was getting off the QM2, just a word to anybody who maybe thinking of getting on her, don't! But that's another story.

Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed January 4, 2013

stayed at the plaza from 20th till 29th december
from the moment we arrived till the very moment we departed the
service was second to none stayed in edwardian suite 1931 and rose suite 1934
both suites were fabulous room service was fantastic
everything we asked for was there in moments
met with our butler but have to save did not need him as reception was always there to help
and dealt with any requests in a flash
i have stayed in many top hotels around the world but i have to say the plaza was tops for me
breakfast was great some will think pricey but if you are staying at a top hotel then you have to be prepared to pay the price
and as all service was faultless then that is what you pay for in my book
rooms were immaculate chamber maids were fantastic
i would go back again and again

so heres to my next trip to the plaza and new york

Room Tip: stayed on top floor very quiet and never heard a thing
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 2, 2013

My husband and I came here for 5 days just before Christmas. We love NY at this time of year. We stayed at a different hotel last December, which was nice but very, very modern. We wanted something more traditional this year, and being great fans of all the home alone movies we chose to stay here!! Location I don't think could be any better- its literally perfect, the park is on one side and all the big stores such as LV, Gucci, Tiffany and Co on the other. 1 MIN walk to each side. We had a huge suite on the 14th floor, with great views of 5th avenue. We were assigned a butler which we didn't think we would really need, but he was great! We came to the hotel really jet lagged and tired, and he unpacked all our bags, and arranged a driver to take us back to the airport (which was cheaper than going through the hotel itself) Room service was great, especially the breakfasts...pancakes, waffles, fruit, bacon, toast...anything you want. I went to do a blow dry one day at the famous Warren Tricomi salon at the hotel, and also got my make yp done there too...both hair and make up were good but not anything Amazing for the price- which was VERY expensive!! (a lot more than top salons in london) Theres a little cosy bar we would come to in the evenings, waiters lovely and so were the drinks. I loved the traditional 'gold' feel of the hotel. It was beautiful, and we certainly never came across any dirty restrooms or anything bad while we were there. The concierege was very helpful too- I started emailing them a month before we came to book us certain things such as my hair appointment, and carious other things and they got back to me very quickly...within hours each time. Obviously all this was not cheap, our bill was huge, but unlike many things you could see what your paying for here. Would def return next year!!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank HeartsandLove
PlazaHotelManagement, General Manager at The Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2013

Dear HeartsandLove,

Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful feedback with us here on TripAdvisor. It sounds like you had a great trip and were able to take advantage of all that The Plaza has to offer, from our Butler and Concierge Service to the Warren-Tricomi Salon. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to New York!

Reviewed January 2, 2013

Absolutely fabulous hotel with its remarkable legacy. The rooms are large and comfortable. Insist on the ones facing the park .. the other side is a bit dreary as it looks into the glass facade of the building on the other side of the street. The butler service is excellent. The tea at the restaurant in the lobby level (both at the lobby and the restaurant beyond the entrance hall) are great experiences. The bar/restaurant in the basement is very nice and also a great place to get good teas/jams etc. The location is fantastic and for the apple obsessed, the Apple store is right across the street from the front entrance. Close to everything - theatres, shopping, the park, museum etc. Great value for the rates you get given comparable hotels in the vicinity.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms facing the park and on a higher floor.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed January 1, 2013

My friends and I went to have drinks at The Rose Club (didn't stay at the hotel). They were amazing, delicious, and fabulous! Our server was so helpful with suggestions, and we enjoyed taking a mid-day break during our shopping to relax and enjoy some classy drinks.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 28, 2012

Where to begin? I had a bit of a love/dislike relationship with The Plaza. (Love/hate would be too strong!) Some of the things I disliked (which in hindsight, I should have thought more about prior to arriving) are just part of staying at this hotel right on Central Park. But the hotel definitely was lacking in a few areas. So I'm really torn on my review score. The facilities and room deserve a 4/5, (maybe even 5/5 in many respects), and the service probably a 3/5.

Stayed 4 nights (Dec. 22-26). We have been to NYC several times and have stayed elsewhere, but we really wanted to stay at The Plaza over Christmas--I mean, when you think of NYC at Christmas, you think of The Plaza right?!! I really want to love it, but alas, I just cannot. I did like it quite a bit; however, I just didn't feel like we received anything particularly special to warrant a 5/5

We arrived at 11:00 a.m. and our room was not ready-not unexpected since we were early. It was almost 4:00 p.m. though when we finally checked in--no apology, no "gesture" for our wait. Ok, not the end of the world, but not a perfect start.

THE GOOD: We booked the Edwardian Suite, which was quite lovely--on the 17th floor and very quiet--very clean, nice furniture, lovely bed linens and a big bathroom (also a half bath, which was handy). Wonderful toiletries as well (my favorite French brand, Caudalie). Everyone working at the hotel is quite friendly. Terrific Concierge service (especially Hatsumi-she is wonderful).

THE "SO SO": The hotel's location at Central Park South is nice, but also NOT so nice. The revolving door gets quite a work out! Constant traffic with people coming in just to look and take photos. I'm not trying to be snobby or superior--hey, I admit to being one of those "lookers" myself before; however, when you are paying $1500 a night (or more) it gets to be frustrating when those "lookers and visitors" make it difficult to even get into the front door (and when they keep actual guests from finding a table in the lobby or bar, etc). I guess that's what you get staying at a "famous" hotel, but now I realize as a guest, how intrusive it can be. I'm sure the holidays didn't help matters either--there are LOTS of people in NYC over Christmas! In addition, with all the people coming through the front doors, you don't really get much service from the doormen. Consider also that being near the park means lots of tacky sidewalk vendors, and loud protesters. It is NYC, I know, and believe me, I LOVE NYC and how lively it is, but all of this is right next to the hotel. In fairness, The Plaza has no control--the city allows those folks to be there--but just be aware that it's part of the deal you get when staying at The Plaza (and quite frankly, many nice hotels on the park). Like I said earlier, I should have thought of that!

THE NOT SO GOOD:
Our suite came with "butler" services. No mention of that at check in, (In fact, not much of any information at check in) nor did we ever see said "butler". I don't think we really needed a butler overall, but you would think there would have been some reference to the service and that the butler would have popped in to introduce him/herself. I guess I thought someone would at least put ice in our ice bucket each day, but you must have to ask the butler for that, and I admit, we didn't investigate those services. Prior to arrival, we asked for a coffee maker to be put in our suite. Normally I would never make coffee in a hotel room, but since we were going to be there on Christmas Day, we thought it would be handy since not much would be open Christmas morning. Three requests--one in an email prior to check in, which was acknowledged by the hotel--one on the day of check in--and one the next day. Never received that coffee maker! We just didn't bother asking a fourth time! We just ended up having coffee delivered on Christmas morning by room service. Also, our flight was cancelled on the day we were to check out, so My husband went downstairs to see about booking just a regular room (not the same suite we had been in). He was offered a room for $1,100. While he was inquiring, I was in our room and checked the hotel website. There was a room available for $700 (or so)--Hmmm--I don't know how to explain that one. We didn't even bring up the discrepancy because, obviously, the front desk staff at The Plaza was not interested in being particularly accommodating. However, I think anyone would expect better after having just spent over $6,000 staying there. Funny thing--We ended up at a Marriott for the last night, and had absolutely no service issues! Certainly our room was not as palatial, but we were just fine staying there until we could fly out the next day.

SO TO SUM UP:
My Christmas fantasy at The Plaza didn't quite live up to expectations, but it was no disaster either! Our room was really nice. We had a lovely Christmas morning in our room and will have fond memories of that always! The hotel is lovely, the staff is friendly and helpful (except perhaps the one offering us the $700 room for $1,100). Again, the "location" issues are just part of the deal, and you should really consider all those before booking--They aren't necessarily a deal breaker. But there were definitely some basic service issues that left me feeling a bit let down. Sadly, aside from the lovely room and amenities, we really didn't experience anything special at the hotel that makes me think, "Wow, I can't wait to go back".

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank GeeBeeUsa
PlazaHotelManagement, General Manager at The Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded January 4, 2013

Dear GeeBeeUSA,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us here on TripAdvisor. It’s great to hear where we succeeded during your stay (the suite, our Caudalie bathroom amenities, friendly staff, terrific Concierge service), but I’m disappointed to hear that we fell short in other areas. Service is the top priority for us and I'm sorry to hear that you were never introduced to your Butler, and that you had such challenges with a simple request. I’ve shared your comments with our Director of Rooms as this could facilitate a valuable training opportunity for our colleagues. I sincerely hope you will consider giving The Plaza another chance on your next trip to New York so we can truly WOW you. Thank you, again, for your feedback.