“So new york...”

The Plaza
Ranked #93 of 469 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed November 13, 2012

This is the quintessential NY hotel...dreamed about staying here since I was a little girl reading the Eloise books. We stayed here on our wedding night...would have been nice to get a generous upgrade, as I arrived in a wedding dress, it was fairly obvious...enjoyed nonetheless.
Our package included a food credit, so we ordered in breakfast -- beware, two omelets, some fruit, juice and coffee came to $200....

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank LadyBren85

Reviewed November 13, 2012

have not been here for a few years. Rooms werevtired but much better now. The Todd English food court is worth a meal or two. For the price, wireless should be included. Service is great. iPad suite controls were easy to use.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
PlazaHotelManagement, General Manager at The Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2012

Dear camdeca,

Thank you so much for sharing your comments with us. As you pointed out, The Plaza was recently renovated and restored back to it's original grandeur. I am so glad to hear that you were pleased with the results! Should you stay with us in the future, I would recommend enrolling in Fairmont President's Club which includes complimentary internet and other benefits. This can be done prior to your stay, or upon check-in. Thank you, again, for your comments and we do hope to welcome you back to The Plaza on your next trip to New York!

Reviewed November 10, 2012

We booked two Edwardian Suites during August with the family, and we dying to check this hotel out. The hotel location cannot be better; it is in THE best location in New York for a hotel. The lobby and the rooms were beautifully decorated and had the ambiance of a French palace.

The service, however, was below what I expected. I expected the service to be more personal, more attentive, more interacting, and more professional. The service resembled a normal busy 5-star hotel instead of the ultra-luxury Plaza hotel. The concierge could care less about booking your shows, broadway musicals, or anything else for you. They will pretend to care for 3 minutes and then go to the next customer!

The breakfast buffet is NON existant. There is a table in the beautifuly decorated dining area that has 4 or 5 different food items. Anything else will have to be charged and it extremely costly. They really should work hard on improving their breakfast. Thank God its New York and you have plenty of other options.

I would stay here again for the rooms, location, and the whole "luxury" feel to it; but it wasn't as luxurious as I expected.

Room Tip: Dont get a courtyard view; always try to get a 5th Avenue or Park View. Dont waste your money and ha...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Halawala
Reviewed November 10, 2012

The Plaza is not a luxury hotel. It's sort of a guilded Hilton, but without the proffessionalism that a Hilton has. I'm in a midst of a 6 night stay here in an Edwardian suite and find myself quite occupied with thoughts of moving somewhere else. Right around the corner from The Plaza are quite a few real luxury hotels: Peninsula, St Regis, Ritz-Carlton Central Park, Mandarin Oriental, Four Sesaons, Carlyle, The Mark, Surrey, all of wich we have stayed at and that delivers luxury quite handsomely. And also nearby are the London NYC, Parker Meridien, Essex House, Sherry- Netherland and a number of pretty good business class chain hotels. So why stay at the Plaza? They have a "butler service" at the Plaza. But it's totally clueless. The butler can do a lot of things that a normal traveller anyway preferrs to handle by himself, like drawing a bath and unpack suitcases. But he can not get you a cup of coffe, which is a pity as not even the Edwardian suite comes with a coffe maker.
When we came home from dinner tonight, no one had turned dopen our room, despite the fact that we callexd and asked for that 3 hours ago. And when returning from that dinner,
our door keys did not work.
At breakfast, there is a tiny and sad little breakfast buffte, which at our first morning there did not have a single piece of bread that was not sweet. Our second morning we were seated at a table for two which had 1 (one) napkin, zero (0) water glasses, and also zero (0) bread plates. We were not offered a coffe refill the entire time we sat there.
This is a really sad place. Spend your money at the Four Seasons, St Regis, or Mandarin Oriental and you will be a lot happier.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank johron
Reviewed November 7, 2012

This was my 4th stay at The Plaza since 2009, and I hope it's not my last. Everything about The Plaza is LUXURY. The rooms are beautifully decorated. Amazing fixtures/fittings. Lots of technology. It was fun to order Room Service from the iPad without having to call anyone! You can even schedule a time that you would like it delivered, although mine arrived 10 minutes early. Luckily I wasn't in the bath. The bed and linens at The Plaza are the best in the world! I've stayed at many hotels... and the bed at The Plaza is just heavenly. A sole reason to return! Not to mention the deep baths and powerful walk-in showers. I was on the 29th floor in the cheapest room category... and there was nothing cheap or basic about this room. I had a window in the bedroom, toilet AND walk-in shower. Amazing. I will return.

Room Tip: There's no such thing as a bad room at this hotel. Don't forget to order room-service on the...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank CraigNewcastle
Reviewed November 7, 2012 via mobile

Dropped by lounge to check out hotel. Sat at bar to have a glass of wine. Menus were wrinkled. Bartender left snacks from previous guest in front of us. Never checked back with us. When presented check bartender scribbled on our check to see if pen worked. I understand that its a nice place with high end pricing. But back it up with the details

• Stayed: November 2012

Dear kiheimaui,

Thank you for sharing your valuable feedback with us. I’m disappointed to hear about your experience at The Champagne Bar. I’d like to apologize, as we truly pride ourselves on offering the highest level of service – anything less is simply unacceptable. Thank you, again, for your comments and I hope you’ll consider returning to us on your next trip to New York.

Reviewed November 6, 2012

With a major birthday approaching I thought it finally time I splurged and flew to New York to stay at the Plaza. It was a wonderful experience that if you have the chance at some point in your life, I would highly recommend. Our suite was perfect - spacious, clean and beautifully decorated with lovely furniture. It also had a fabulous shower in a glorious bathroom and one of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in (be sure to warm up with the fur comforter!). Lovely linen and special touches such as a welcome snack and champagne made the experience memorable. While we didn't have the need to interact with the staff to a great extent, those that we did speak to were friendly and efficient. Our only complaint was we found the Palm Court breakfast rather plain and the service exceptionally slow despite not being particularly busy. However the hotel itself was fabulous and for a "bucket list" experience it was perfect.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple