Holiday Inn NYC - Manhattan 6th Avenue - Chelsea
$274
$247
  • Room Service
Hotel Belleclaire(New York City)(Great Value!)
$161
  • Fitness center
The Westin New York Grand Central(New York City)(Great Value!)
$324
$305
  • Room Service
Hilton Garden Inn Times Square(New York City)(Great Value!)
$257
$216
  • Bar/Lounge
Park Central Hotel New York(New York City)(Great Value!)
$178
$145
  • Fitness center
Hotel Edison Times Square(New York City)
$172
$118
  • Fitness center
The New Yorker A Wyndham Hotel(New York City)(Great Value!)
$153
$134
  • Room Service
YOTEL New York(New York City)(Great Value!)
$167
$98
  • Restaurant
Millennium Broadway New York Times Square(New York City)(Great Value!)
$309
$215
Official Site
  • Room Service
Blue Moon Hotel(New York City)(Great Value!)
$229
$100
  • Breakfast included
1,378 results
All reviewsthe holiday innthe empire state buildingnew yorkpenn stationrooms are smalltimes squaretwo double bedsmadison square gardenfront desk staffwhole foodsfreedom towerlocation is greatmin walkcentral locationlate checkaround the cornerstreet noise
Reviewed August 2, 2013

this hotel is in midtown Manhattan and is very convenient to visit NYC. Bus stops or subway stations are 1 or 2 blocks from the hotel.
The room was clean, somewhat small as in Europe. The bed is comfortable, a little bit soft. AC is relatively quiet and efficient. No fridge or security box are available in room. The bathroom is well maintained, clean but very small with a tiny wash basin and a shower stall. A small coffee machine is also available.
Staff are efficient and courteous. The lobby is small.
This hotel with reasonable room price is a good option for visiting New York. A super market is 100 m away from the front door.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are the largest.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 1, 2013

We booked a non-smoking room at this hotel for our family of 4 (kids are 11 & 13). We arrived early and were told that rooms weren't ready, but they would keep our luggage. Concierge was very helpful and we went out to tour the town for the day. When we got back that evening, we checked in and went up to our room. As soon as we got off the elevators we could smell the smoke... went to our room and sure enough, we were in a smoking room. I called the front desk and was told that they did not have any more non-smoking rooms, even though I had a printed confirmation that I had booked a non-smoking room. They offered us a non-smoking king bed which obviously wouldn't work for a family of 4. They offered to clean the air in the room, but we needed to leave the room for a few hours for it to work (why would they not have done this before we checked in???). The air was better in the room for a short while, but since we were on a smoking floor, it didn't last long.

The bottom line is that we were forced to sleep in the smoking room. When paying $300 for a room, you expect to get the room you booked. Obviously we had no choice but to stay in this room. According to the Holiday Inn's reservation guarantee, they should have moved us to a new hotel and given us the room for free, but they refused to do this. When I pushed the issue, they finally agreed to reduce the rate to $160.

Even though this hotel is well located and has a great concierge staff, I will not take the chance of staying in this hotel again. In fact, I won't stay at a Holiday Inn again because they do not honor the policies that they have posted on their website.

Room Tip: No view from the lower "smoking" rooms. Floors 2 & 3 are smoking.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Kalajo
Mike W, General Manager at Holiday Inn NYC - Manhattan 6th Avenue - Chelsea, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2013

Hi Kalajo, and thank you for your honest review. While we do attempt to honor each and every room type that is reserved, at times we are presented with certain challenges. I suspect this was the case here. Please email me directly at gm@hi-nyc.com so that I may take a closer look at this situation. I hope to make it right for you. Thank you!

Reviewed July 30, 2013

Stayed for three nights at this hotel before flying home. The location was excellent and the staff very friendly and efficient. We ate in the restaurant and the food was really very good at a reasonable price. The hotel bar has a ;happy hour' from mid afternoon to 9p.m. every day with amazing reductions on drinks. The only down size was the size of the rooms, which were very small with even smaller bathrooms! I suppose in New York City space is at a premium, but one of the good points of the room was a very good walk-in shower. We would stay there again if visiting NY as the location is very good.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Had a king-sized bed room on the 10th floor. Room was a decent size for New York (was able to walk on both sides of the bed). Might be tight for more than one person. Bathroom was small but had a large enough shower with strong hot water.Room had a small closet, dresser, and desk. There was an ironing board and iron, but no safe. Plenty of fresh towels were supplied every day. Staff was quite polite and friendly. Lobby was tiny, and there was sometimes a long wait for the 2 small elevators. Didn't try the attached restaurant but it seemed to be pretty popular. Patio tables were full every night. Good location between Midtown and Chelsea. Subway was a block and a half away.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo

Hi cartew - Thanks for giving feedback on your recent experience! Our rooms are on the smaller side, yet very efficient. We are glad you made the most of them! Should your travels bring you back to the Chelsea neighborhood, we hope to see you again!

Reviewed July 27, 2013

Twice in May I returned to enjoy weekends in New York City. Both times I stayed at this hotel. It isn't for everyone. But for flexible travelers who know what they want and are willing to make some trade-offs, you could hit the hotel bullseye with this under-the-radar option.

I was traveling solo, was familiar with the city, and only sought a safe, affordable, clean, and centrally located place to get a good night's sleep after hoofing it around town. I hit Bingo on all of these at this hotel.

I easily walked to the hotel from Penn Station about five blocks away and easily walked to shows around Time Square, about ten blocks north, not to mention the very easy two to five block walk to improv shows at the Upright Citizens Brigade and Magnet Theater. Hoofing it south to Union Square and Washington Square Park, was a 10- to 20- block hike, but the subway lines were almost door to door from the parks to the hotel, which sits in the middle of a block, insulating it a bit from the noisy New York avenues.

The room I stayed in was on the 22nd floor and had a window that was huge and seemed largely soundproof, so I slept like a log, leaving the curtains open to enjoy the twinkling lights of the Manhattan skyline around me as I nodded off.

The king-sized bed seemed giant in the Lilliputian room. Luckily, as a solo traveler, I just log-rolled or climbed over the bed to get from one side of the room to the other. Two people in a room the size of the one I stayed in would either have to take turns walking from one side of the room to the other or piggy back. The closet and the desktop were close enough to be within two or three steps of each other, which is great for one person. It might have been amusing for two.

The bathroom also required a little sidestepping to open and shut its door. But the bed, bath, and entire room were kept immaculately clean, glasses and mirrors shiny, trash cans emptied, bedsheets crisp and clean, pillows fluffed. I've never had my pillows labeled for me before. But one had a covering that said firm and the other soft. So, props on that fun detail.

The room's lock was solid, making me feel safe, as did the hotel's glass-front facade, which looked out onto the neighborhood street, framed by a recessed patio for guests to hang out and enjoy drinks from the hotel restaurant. The facade and patio offered a sense of safe, protected exposure to the city. The bellman at the sliding-glass entrance also offered a sense of security.

The rates were lower than many other hotels. So, the hotel met all my criteria. Now, the trade-offs that I was happy to grin and bear: The hotel itself is like a fashion model: it is really tall and really, really slender. The tall is good because it gets you above the city noise. But there are only two elevators that I saw, so you will have some time to ponder your toes while you wait.

The slender doesn't really have a good side. The hallway of the 22nd floor was sufficiently narrow that I crossed my fingers I wouldn't have to negotiate past the cleaning team's trolley, and luckily I never had to.

The lobby seemed to be the size of a small two-door compact car...with a column squarely in the middle of it, between the entrance and the front desk. The lobby also fairly vibrated from the bass of the club music from the in-hotel restaurant beside the elevators. It was too loud to tempt me to see if the restaurant offerings were worth the price. Rather, I quite happily ate around town. So, all in all, the lobby was loud and crowded.

But, most of the other guests and tour groups pouring through to get to the elevators or restaurant or front desk or out into the city were happy, pleasant folk, who seemed to take it all in stride. If you follow their cue and overlook the hotel's tight fit, the boom-box-loud restaurant, and limited amenties and only need the city and some friendly faces to make you smile, this hotel is a good fit for you.

I should note that my in-room t.v. never worked, but in all fairness, I never reported that it didn't work because...did I mention that I had a gorgeous city view to stare out at and lots to do? Who needs t.v. with an amenity like NYC.

Room Tip: Get a room higher up to avoide the street and restaurant noise.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank chris p

Hi Chris P - Thanks for sharing your recent experience! We are thrilled that you were able to use our hotel as a launching pad for your explorations, and love that you saw what a great value we offered! We hope to see you again the next time your travels bring you back to the Chelsea neighborhood!