“Convenient location, but overpriced”

Holiday Inn NYC - Manhattan 6th Avenue - Chelsea
Ranked #331 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Boston, Massachusetts
“Convenient location, but overpriced”
Reviewed April 12, 2013

Location is quite convenient for sightseeing or shopping.
Staff is extremely friendly and helpful.
Room was spacious enough for 1-2 people, and everything worked just fine.
I booked it short before arrival (less than a week) via booking dot com and it was much cheaper than their usual price. However, it was still a bit expensive - more than 200$ per night without breakfast.
No view in my room, but I didn't mind, for I stayed there only to have a place to sleep at night.
They've got thin walls - so if your neighbors are noisy or if the hotel stuff decides to fix the lock in the room next door around midnight - you definitely won't get asleep :(

Room Tip: The higher floor - the less noise from the street you have.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (228)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Columbia, South Carolina
Reviewed April 11, 2013

I was n NYC for business. I choose this hotel because it was close to where my business meetings were. I was pleasantly pleased at the cleanliness and size of the rooms. The hospitality of the front desk staff, especially David (the evening front desk) was very refreshing. He was so patient and courteous. Ms Christine our server in the restaurant located inside the hotel was great. The view of the NYC skyline was breathtaking. NYC hotels are pricey in general but I think this was well worth the medium price.

Room Tip: ask which way your room faces so you will get a room with a good view.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed April 10, 2013 via mobile

My brother and I stayed here one night while in town for an appointment nearby. The rate was excellent for the area and we were only a few blocks from Radio City Music Hall which was near to our appointment.

The staff was very nice. We drove in late Sunday night and they helped us with where to park and provided a sticker so we would get the hotel rate.

Empire State building is just a few blocks one way, the subway, penn station, etc. just a few blocks the next.

Space is a premium here, so I wasn't surprised by the tightness of the double bedroom. They make great use of space with flat screens on the wall, stand up shower, sliding bathroom door, very interesting how they fit it all in. The beds were great and the decor is very modern. Tight, but excellent.

• Stayed March 2013
Portland, Maine
Reviewed April 5, 2013

This place was really great. We had a 1-night stay in NYC. They were kind enough to bring us some extra regular coffee quite promptly when we discovered that we only had one packet of regular in our room. The price was so reasonable and most important of all: this place was clean, clean, clean! And not sprayed down with a bunch of disgusting Febreeze kind of clean. It was actually spotless. I was so impressed. Comfy bed, a quick walk to Penn Station and Times Square, and nice and quiet for a good night's sleep.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
London
Reviewed April 3, 2013

Stayed here for 4 nights in may. Had a room with two double beds which was great for me and my mum. Very central location just a couple of minutes walk from the subway stop and maybe 10 minute walk from time square. Friendly staff.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank XclaireeX
Philadelphia suburb
Reviewed March 26, 2013

Stayed 2 nights. Arrived about 1:30 PM but room wasn't ready but check in wasn't until 3 PM. Left and returned at 3:30 PM and it still wasn't ready until 4 PM even though we were Priority Club members; however, they did compensate with free drink coupons which wasn't any good to us as we are not drinkers. Front desk staff was very helpful and repeatedly called housekeeping. After that was a extremely nice visit. Staff was helpful. Concierge was awesome, full of help and personality, nice person. Rooms are a little small, but for NYC not that small so still a good deal. Even though first hours were a rough start, this Holiday Inn staff excels at customer service, best Holiday Inn staff ever!

Room Tip: Rooms on street side could keep light sleepers awake due to car horns, etc. but that's NYC! If i...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Baltimore
Reviewed March 25, 2013 via mobile

I stayed one night before having to catch a flight to JFK. Note: it's a little bit of a hike to Penn station with luggage if you're thinking of using airtrain. I checked in very late, around 2am and the agent was by helpful reconfirmed my room type and assisted me with a late check out as a priority club member. The lobby is somewhat small but such is the case in Manhattan, where space is at a premium.
There are two elevators and they are quick to get around. I stayed on the 19th floor and had a view of the city. The beds are comfortable but is not very big, I didn't spend much time in the room but it fit my needs. He tv worked great and so did the AC/heater. The shower was adequate but the sink somewhat small.
The receptionist in the morning was able to hold my bags before my super shuttle arrived to take me to the airport. There is a lovely outdoor seating area, which I'm sure is nice to sit at in warm weather and for smokers yearlong.
Will definitely stay again for a short stay. Location is great.

Stayed March 2013, traveled solo