“Not great but good”

Ranked #334 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Baltimore
“Not great but good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013 via mobile

I stayed one night before having to catch a flight to JFK. Note: it's a little bit of a hike to Penn station with luggage if you're thinking of using airtrain. I checked in very late, around 2am and the agent was by helpful reconfirmed my room type and assisted me with a late check out as a priority club member. The lobby is somewhat small but such is the case in Manhattan, where space is at a premium.
There are two elevators and they are quick to get around. I stayed on the 19th floor and had a view of the city. The beds are comfortable but is not very big, I didn't spend much time in the room but it fit my needs. He tv worked great and so did the AC/heater. The shower was adequate but the sink somewhat small.
The receptionist in the morning was able to hold my bags before my super shuttle arrived to take me to the airport. There is a lovely outdoor seating area, which I'm sure is nice to sit at in warm weather and for smokers yearlong.
Will definitely stay again for a short stay. Location is great.

Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Martinsville, New Jersey
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2013

Daughter could not make trip due to medical condition. I had to cancel early afternoon because she was unable to travel per doctor. Management denied refund because they felt I waited too long in their opinion to cancel. So they got my full amount for the night and then sold the night to some other individual. If I knew I was going to be treated with such disrespect I would of been a no show and prevented them from getting additional money from another customer...double dipping...so much for compassion when someone is ill. Since this is individual owned Corporate wants nothing to do with you and keeps referring you back to the hotel. I have now cancelled my rewards with this hotel chain and will give my business to someone deserving. Stay at your own risk...BEWARE

4 Thank dplnj
Mike W, General Manager at Holiday Inn NYC - Manhattan 6th Avenue - Chelsea, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Good morning - All flexible reservations may be cancelled up until 6PM the day prior to arrival. Your particular reservation was cancelled around 1PM on the day of arrival. As discussed in our private emails, I am still waiting for some documentation to justify this cancellation. As you were unable to provide it, the charge stands. Please feel free to email me directly at gm@hi-nyc.com to continue our private conversation. Thank you.

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

Mechanicsville, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2013

Our family of 4 visited NYC in December. We were so excited to see NY decorated for the holidays. The hotel was clean and festively decorated. We stayed in a 2 queen bed room. The room was a bit small, but we honestly did not spend a lot of time in the room. The bathroom was very nice and modern. We could see the Empire State Building from our window. The hotel was in a good location for us and we walked everywhere that weekend. The parking garage is a block or two away, but like I said, we walked everywhere, so we didn't need our vehicle until we checked out Sunday. We had breakfast in the hotel restaurant and the restaurant staff were friendly and pleasant.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank bzymom40
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2013

Rooms on the small side but comfortable and clean, good location and staff excellent, very friendly and helpful. Good atmosphere in the bar (unlike may lobby bars) and good restaurant also plenty of local deli's, restaurants and bars around the hotel. They also welcome smokers, two of their 25+ floors are allocated for smokers, a rarity in the city. Would have no problem recommending this hotel to family and friends.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Annette F
Fergus Ontario
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

The hotel meets the expectations set by other reviews. While rooms are regular small NYC format the beds are very comfortable. Staff were very helpful and the Restaurant had great egg sandwiches for breakfast.

1 Thank Larryisu
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

My Wife and I stayed here during our first visit to New York City. We were not disappointed in our selection.

The property is beautiful, the staff excellent. Mabel was fantastic, When we arrived she greeted us warmly and gave us detailed directions to all the popular spots in the city as well as a detailed map.

This hotel is excellent and it is close to everything. The rooms were nice size and everything well appointed. The price was excellent as well.

Being from Atlanta, Georgia we did not know what to expect. Let me tell you, Everything was great! The hotel, the locations, the subway and all the people. Everyone was very friendly! (Just goes to show, You cant believe all the negativity others tell you or what you see on TV).

This was a fantastic experience for us! When visiting, Make sure you stay at this Holiday Inn! You will not be disappointed.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank anjois1
Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

We arrived at the holiday Inn on 6th avenue to be greeted by a lovely pleasant young man (David or Darren I think his name was) he greeted us with a smile and was everything the hotel needs on the front desk. We were given our room keys and then asked for a credit card, (this I was not informed about previously) the hotel took $50 which is a security deposit in case we damage any property so fair enough. Although now we have left we are still waiting for this to be refunded, apparantley it can take a few weeks. Off we went to our room which was ok in size, not the largest but all we wanted was some where to sleep. The king bed was more than adequate for me and my daughter, plenty of room. TV with plenty of channels, coffee making facilities, lovely (small) bathroom with plenty of towels etc. the room was spotlessly clean, they only thing I can honestly complain about was something I found hidden behind the ironing board which was located in the wardrobe.... It was something a person can use internally so I dare not move, or touch or even look at, so I left it there and kept the door closed... YUK !! Oh and our view was of a back alley, so make sure you request a high floor and decent view. We did ask to be moved but this would come at a charge of $20 pp per night.
The hotel is in a decent location, plenty of shops, cafes, etc but be warned its a good 15 minute walk to Times Square, so if you don't like walking then either don't stay here or jump a cab.
The restaurant next door attached to the Hotel called Prime, is quite nice, the staff are so friendly and helpful, the prices are ok. We tried most things on the menu, and can't complain the food was lovely.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor and not a back alley view which we got.