“Would be happy to stay again”

Holiday Inn NYC - Manhattan 6th Avenue - Chelsea
Ranked #330 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed December 27, 2012

I can only say good things about the hotel. The rooms were clean, small but adequate and not small for NYC. Most rooms had only stall showers and no tub, closets were in furniture, not built in. The staff was very friendly and helpful, the business center useful so I left my laptop at home. The location is excellent, you can walk so many places, Madison Sq. Park (not gardens as another reviewer wrote), Eataly, Grand Central, Empire St. Bldg, Madison Sq. Garden, and subways for everything else. Most of the rooms face walls or an alley but the reward for no view is absolute quiet. The street view rooms do hear the street and bar sounds from across the street.
My only complaint has to do with the restaurant so should not influence your choosing this hotel. We were two couples and on Christmas Eve we returned from the days adventures to see a chalkboard out front offering $1 oysters at certain hours. When we showed up for them we were told, "oh no, not on a holiday" and they rushed out to bring in the sign. We were most unhappy, it was raining and this seemed a perfect answer about what to do for dinner. They said well, the regular price is only $2. They really should have honored this for us, we saw a sign, they put out. Needless to say we had dinner elsewhere and you will soon see those reviews.

Room Tip: Street view rooms are noisy, smoking rooms were alright, only the hallways smelled smokey.
1  Thank ei442

Reviewed December 18, 2012

Slightly away from my choice of Times Square but an easy taxi or subway ride. They did not recognize me as a gold card member of the Priority Club and did not receive the usual complimentary snack bag.

Rooms were small but for one night it was ok.

I would only stay at this Holiday Inn if again it was a late planned trip and nothing else available. Many Holiday Inns' in the heart of Times Square.

Parking close by @ $40.00 per day for an SUV.

2  Thank BusdriverPhil
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn NYC - Manhattan 6th Avenue - Chelsea, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2013

Dear BusdriverPhil,

We certainly appreciate you taking the time to convey your thoughts regarding your stay with us. I'm sorry that you were not recognized as a Priority Club Gold member, one of our most valued guest. I have taken note of your comments and will be forwarded to the appropriate departments and be reviewed. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Irish V.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed December 17, 2012

This hotel was pretty good. staff were pleasant and very helpful. The rooms where pretty nice and its located right by madison square gardens. I enjoyed my stay here but three blocks aways is a holiday inn express that usually cheaper and the quality is the exact same.

Reviewed December 9, 2012

We stayed here for seven nights and would do so again. The room was small, but very clean and the staff were excellent in all respects. Too many people don't get that THIS IS NEW YORK! The hotel rooms are often small, especially the ones that are offered up for Hotwire (ie, cheaper). That's not a dig or an indictment, just a fact we knew going in. Our room was at the front of the hotel on the 9th floor so Friday nights got some noise from the club across street, but that's not the hotel's fault. All in all it was a great location and experience and I'd easily stay there again.

Reviewed December 7, 2012

Fortunate enough that I am in NY for work. I have been in 3 hotels, and I like this one the best. However; due to my experience with the unprofessionalism of the front office management, I would not recommend this particular location to anyone working or vacationing.

• Stayed: November 2012
2  Thank TravelerNomadGirl
Mike W, General Manager at Holiday Inn NYC - Manhattan 6th Avenue - Chelsea, responded to this reviewResponded December 18, 2012

Hi TravelerNomadGirl - thank you for providing your honest feedback. Please feel free to email me directly at gm@hi-nyc.com to address your concerns with our front office team. We recently hired a new Front Office Manager, and I am brand new to this great hotel, also.

I will look forward to your email. We would love to win you back!

Reviewed December 4, 2012

Stayed in this hotel for five nights last April with my mom, on her first trip to the US. She's a smoker and there's very little in the way of affordable, well-located hotels nearer . On a punt, I picked the HI 6th Avenue. And it turned out to be a good choice.

Rooms were really quiet and spaced out well. The nearest ice machine was close by too. The bathroom was spacier than I thought it would be. TV was big and there were lots of channels - (read all-day Judge Judy marathons) to distract us.

The hotel is well-located near Whole Foods on the 7th Avenue, so we grabbed salads or snacks there. The nearest subway is a couple of blocks away but it was okay. The nearest wine shop is a bit of trek, so plan to grab bubbly and what-not. Also, there's American Apparel Warehouse store nearby on 6th Ave for discount clothes shopping.

A couple of the goods and bads below, but a highlight for us was the last night when we decided to stay in and eat in the restaurant. Okay on first glance it looks like a conservatory in the 70's meets the Twilight Zone, but we had a good night. After ordering the chef came out with about our order and asked about it - how would we like it. A little chit-chat. It was great. Our meal was amazing. We decided we'd order a second beer, and the waitress told us we'd save if we'd order a pitcher. And we did. Lovely service to end our stay at the HI 6th Ave. Kinda symbolised our stay there.

My mam is already itching to go back to NYC. She has her heart set on returning to the hotel.

A couple of goods:
Rooms were of a decent-size - It was my first trip to NYC, and I have been reading nightmare reviews of teeny rooms sandwiched together. I was impressed with the size of our room. I booked through Hotels.com and was pleasantly surprised.

Staff - The staff were amazing. Checking in, managing luggage, hailing cabs and suggestions for places to go were managed with a friendly professional tone. I made a couple of calls and feared the phone bill, but it wasn't a problem.

A couple of the do-betters:
Slow lifts - The lift took ages to travel. We were one of the lower floors, so were weren't that badly inconvenienced. It's a busy hotel, with limited lift resources, so the naturally slow lifts were always under pressure aka busy.

View: While our rooms was of decent size, the view faced onto the back of building that worked as clothing factory. A tall building, at that. Smoking rooms take up a few of the lower-level stories, so you may need to suck it up. The view didn't really annoy us off much as were out and about every day, but a city skyline would have been nice.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the elevators because of noise and bustle. But also realise, that if you ar...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank AlexCG79
Reviewed December 1, 2012

This hotel is in a good location and was chosen by someone other than me to stay in. It was extremely expensive ($550 for one mid-week night) and not particularly clean. The hotel reeks of smoke - even on non-smoking floors. The phone in my room did not work. The TV volume also seemed to be fixed at a maximum level so I couldn't really watch TV either. The only reason I didn't rate this terrible is because the staff are friendly and are trying to do a good job. The hotel is simply too expensive for what it is - a tourist trap. Stay elsewhere.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business