The hotel in itself is OK. Microwave in the room was neat and nice beds. However upon arrival I had to show my credit card. I thought this was just to double-check info or charge me with a small deposit. However, when I checked my accounts the following day they had charged me almost 1000$. I found that strange, considering the stay itself was 1200$.
I asked the lady in the reception about the amount. She replied saying it was a deposit which would "break down" during our stay. It did not break down, and after one more day, I decided to talk to the reception. The same lady was working and I asked her if I could pay the whole stay and get those money they reserved on my account back. The answer was yes, when she finally understood what I meant. I was told that the almost 1000$ would be transfered back and the nights I had stayed would be charged. The two nights we had left would, like the deposit, supposedly "break down" during our stay. The deposit would be back within 1-2 days, she said.
Of course this did not happen. The last two days, the deposit changed from 911 to 991 dollars. Otherwise nothing else happened. I tried to calculate the nights they said they would charge to see if this was that amount. The numbers didn't add up.
Upon leaving, two days later, nothing had happened. When we arrived at our new hotel in Florida, I then checked my balance again. Appearently now over 1200$ had been charged in addition to the 991$. I called the hotel and tried to ask them what had happened. The lady in the reception obviously made a mistake. Instead of being understanding, the man on the phone was rude and a tad aggressive defending himself, feeling like I accused him and the hotel of swindle. I simply wanted to know what had happened and why things didn't go the way I was told. I also wanted to know why this deposit had not been given back to me. Appreantly there was a policy that it would be given back 24-48 hours after check out. He kept repeating this. I then understood that the lady the reception had not followed policy and was poorly informed. I tried talking with him about this, but then I was accused of "attacking" him. My friend sat next to me the whole time, and she thought I was way too calm considering the situation.
Of course I understand there is a policy, but then I think it's really unprofessional that the lady in the reception told me I would get the deposit back and that I could pay the stay two days before checkout. Additionally I was not told about this. Not the deposit which was almost as big as the charge of the stay itself, and not about the policy about it being transfered back after 24-48 hours. For a student with a limited budget this caused a lot of stress and economical difficulties before I got the deposit back. The lack of information and misleading information at this hotel was really poor. At a point I thought they had taken my deposit to keep...
I don't know if this is normal in America, but not in Europe. And the other hotels in America charged like.. 50$ in a deposit. Not 1000$!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Free WiFi and hot breakfast. Comfort Inn Times Square South is conveniently situated in the heart of Manhattan. Our ideal location allows you to easily reach hundreds of area businesses and attractions. The Broadway Theater District, Times Square, Madison Square Garden arena, the Empire State Building and the Rockefeller Center are all within walking distance from this New York, NY hotel.Each of our 100 percent non-smoking guest rooms feature modern decor and upscale amenities, like flat-panel, televisions, pillow-top mattresses, coffee makers, spacious work desks, hair dryers, irons and ironing boards. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Ctrip TA, Hotwire, Choice Hotels, Booking.com, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and HotelsClick so you can book your Comfort Inn Times Square South reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Comfort Inn Times Square South Hotel New York City
- Times Square Comfort Inn
- Comfort Inn New York City
- New York City Comfort Inn