“An unpleasant surprise.”

Ranked #271 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Oslo, Norway
“An unpleasant surprise.”
Reviewed April 6, 2013

The hotel in itself is OK. Microwave in the room was neat and nice beds. However upon arrival I had to show my credit card. I thought this was just to double-check info or charge me with a small deposit. However, when I checked my accounts the following day they had charged me almost 1000$. I found that strange, considering the stay itself was 1200$.

I asked the lady in the reception about the amount. She replied saying it was a deposit which would "break down" during our stay. It did not break down, and after one more day, I decided to talk to the reception. The same lady was working and I asked her if I could pay the whole stay and get those money they reserved on my account back. The answer was yes, when she finally understood what I meant. I was told that the almost 1000$ would be transfered back and the nights I had stayed would be charged. The two nights we had left would, like the deposit, supposedly "break down" during our stay. The deposit would be back within 1-2 days, she said.

Of course this did not happen. The last two days, the deposit changed from 911 to 991 dollars. Otherwise nothing else happened. I tried to calculate the nights they said they would charge to see if this was that amount. The numbers didn't add up.

Upon leaving, two days later, nothing had happened. When we arrived at our new hotel in Florida, I then checked my balance again. Appearently now over 1200$ had been charged in addition to the 991$. I called the hotel and tried to ask them what had happened. The lady in the reception obviously made a mistake. Instead of being understanding, the man on the phone was rude and a tad aggressive defending himself, feeling like I accused him and the hotel of swindle. I simply wanted to know what had happened and why things didn't go the way I was told. I also wanted to know why this deposit had not been given back to me. Appreantly there was a policy that it would be given back 24-48 hours after check out. He kept repeating this. I then understood that the lady the reception had not followed policy and was poorly informed. I tried talking with him about this, but then I was accused of "attacking" him. My friend sat next to me the whole time, and she thought I was way too calm considering the situation.

Of course I understand there is a policy, but then I think it's really unprofessional that the lady in the reception told me I would get the deposit back and that I could pay the stay two days before checkout. Additionally I was not told about this. Not the deposit which was almost as big as the charge of the stay itself, and not about the policy about it being transfered back after 24-48 hours. For a student with a limited budget this caused a lot of stress and economical difficulties before I got the deposit back. The lack of information and misleading information at this hotel was really poor. At a point I thought they had taken my deposit to keep...

I don't know if this is normal in America, but not in Europe. And the other hotels in America charged like.. 50$ in a deposit. Not 1000$!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank LuHaD
timessquare_gm, General Manager at Comfort Inn Times Square South, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Dear Guest!!

I am so sorry to hear about your deplolrable experience!! I welcome the opportunity to speak with you directly. If at all possible please e mail me at Timessquare.gm@comfortnyc.com or call me at 212-268 3040. Again my sincere apologies for this negative experience. I wish to make this up to you.

Stephanie Gjerlow

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed April 5, 2013

We spent three nights here. Just a short walk to Times Square and theaters. We needed two rooms, one was great (for NYC) but second was so small we couldn't open our suitcase and still get by (1803). But we called the front desk and they found another. Every staff member was very accommodating and friendly the entire stay, made us feel welcome, I can't say enough about them. Breakfast was nothing to write home about, but eggs, waffles, sausages and more in NYC for FREE was a major saving. Beds were good, traffic noise not bad. To save a few bucks on meals, walk west to ninth instead of east to Times Square. Port Authority just a block away, so you could arrive a variety of ways besides cab or shuttle. Oh, and the northeast corner of Port Authority has a Cake Boss (Carlo's Bakery) shop for sweet treats.

Room Tip: Only 4 rooms per floor, some are larger than others. 1803 was TINY, 1801 and 1703 were just fine.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Dwayne G
timessquare_gm, General Manager at Comfort Inn Times Square South, responded to this review, April 7, 2013
Dear Guest!!

Thank you for taking the time to write in. We are happy that you enjoyed your stay!! Please feel free to contact me directly when you are back in New York City!!

New York
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Great Hotel, staff courteous and overall nice experience. The hotel was in a prime location in Times Square. Although the rooms are small it serves the purpose when you have a busy schedule. Great experience.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

CITS_Manager, Front Office Manager at Comfort Inn Times Square South, responded to this review, January 19, 2014
Dear Tyra G ,

Thank you so much for writing an updated review about your stay. We are so excited that you felt the warmth of our dedication and that we were able to make you happy once again. It is our unique pleasure to go above and beyond because it is important for us that you know that we care about you and your loyalty to us. I am grateful you allowed us the opportunity to replace your items and that you were pleased with our services and hospitality. We would be honored to welcome you back and always promise to make the most memorable and indulging experience.

Best regards,

Susana McCoon
Front Office Manager
New York City, New York
Reviewed March 11, 2013

The staff at the Comfort Inn Times Square South is amazing. They tended to our needs promptly, professionally and courteously. Shivanna (hostess) went above and beyond to make sure our stay was comfortable and pleasant. She is amazing. I would stay there again because of the attention and courtesy she provided. She is such a pleasant and accommodating hostess. She deserves a raise. The room was well cared for as well.

Room Tip: not applicable
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
timessquare_gm, General Manager at Comfort Inn Times Square South, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Dear Guest!!

Thank you so much for the kind review and wonderful words about our team member Shivannah!!

We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us!! It will be my pleasure to assist you directly with your reservations foing forward. I can be reached at Timessquare.gm@comfortnyc.com.

Reviewed March 7, 2013

We reserved our room a day before we pay for a king size bed, big room. When we got the the staff at the front desk where horrible and no helpful at all. We got to our room and what they gaved us was a two bed room, very small smelled like cigarettes and not that clean.when we call from desk they said that was the las t room they had they couldn't do nothing, are you kitting me. We left and we stayed at the hubson great hotel same price, fancy, great staff and contoble I loved it. As for the comfort ill never stayed there.

• Stayed March 2013
timessquare_gm, General Manager at Comfort Inn Times Square South, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Dear guest,

My sincere apologies for the inconveniences you experienced. I do apologize that we did not meet the standards that you were expecting. It is our hopes that you will give us another chance soon. It would be a pleasure to assist you directly next time you are in New York. I can be reached at Timessquare.gm@comfortnyc.com.

Thank you again for giving us a second chance.

New York
Reviewed March 6, 2013

Staff sucks, rooms suck, stink of cigaret beds not comfortable at all.. Don't ever think to stay at this hotel. They should fired the front desk stuff don't do nothing to satisfy or make any guess happy.. I requested for a king in non smoke area instead they gave me double beds and stink like cigarette the beds looked like if they were not done right and the bathroom smelled weird.. The rate for this hotel is a 2 out 10.. Defensively sucks

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

timessquare_gm, General Manager at Comfort Inn Times Square South, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Let me start by personally apologizing to you. Our staff always try to go above and beyond each and every time. We clearly fell short in your case. I would love the opportunity to make it up to you on a return visit!

Please feel free to call me directly at the hotel or e mail me next time you are in New York. My e mail address is Timessquare.gm at Comfortnyc.com.

Avon CT
Reviewed March 5, 2013

Took my kids to NYC for a night over February break. Wanted a budget hotel near Times Square and this place fit the bill. Staff was very friendly and helpful. But the building is kinda run down and our third floor room was very cramped. The room lacked room darkening shades/curtains and a spotlight from across the street kept our front-facing room well lit all night, which might bother some. Plus the shower curtain was too short which led to a wet bathroom and the room's space heater had a broken knob..........

So-- the staff of the hotel should be commended for their good service and the Comfort Inn brass should invest in some upgrades.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Mr. Avon!

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond to us!! Myself and Maybellyn, our Executive housekeeper have gone to your room to make sure that all is in working order. All of the staff try to go above and beyond and I do hope that on future stays in New York City, you will make this your home away from home!!

It would be my pleasure to assist you personally going forward and I can be reached at Timessquare.gm@comfortnyc.com.