“Excellent hotel, bad management”
Review of Empire Hotel

Empire Hotel
Ranked #351 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed March 2, 2011

The hotel location is perfect just in front of the Lincoln Center and the room was clean and comfortable. The bathroom is small but with a good distribution.
We arrived at the hotel for 2nd time at 15:30 and the room wasn't ready because it needed the house keeping verification (the same excuse at 14:30), after complained several times for the waiting time at last we're in our room at 16:05. The most listened word at the lobby was: "I apologize" , said to us and to the rest of the guests that were waiting for their room for a long time as us. They gave to us a complimentary breakfast for the check-in delay.

1  Thank Megyxu
EmpireManagement, Manager at Empire Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2011

Dear Megyxu,

My name is Jennifer Baldwin and I am the Assistant General Manager of the Empire Hotel. Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback on TripAdvisor. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed the Hotel and that our location exceeded your expectations. However I am truly disappointed to hear that you were unable to check in until after our designated check in time at 3PM. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. Please be assured I will share your feedback with my Executive Team to ensure this issue does not occur again in the future.

Jennifer Baldwin

Write a ReviewReviews (6,250)

Reviewed March 1, 2011

What a wonderful surprise to find this gem of a hotel located right across the street from Lincoln Center! My suite was absolutely lovely and the staff could not have done more for me. The bar was great! Room service was prompt but the food was mediocre and that is the only thing that was not totally perfect about my stay. I highly recommend this hotel to the most discriminating traveler. Recently completely renovated and in one of the most convenient spots in Manhattan, it offers a flawless experience.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo

Dear Sun4Me10,

WOW!!! Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a glowing review of The Empire Hotel on TripAdvisor. We are so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back as our guest in the near future.

Jennifer Baldwin

Reviewed March 1, 2011

From the moment I walked in the building everyone was extremely accomodating. My flight came in early, so I was worried about checking into my room. As I entered the lobby/check in area, a very sweet blonde lady helped me with my reservation. She was fast, had a great attitude, and she upgraded my room.
When I got to my room, everything was extremely clean, the shower was amazing. The bed was perfect. I had absolutley everything I needed. The mini bar was fully stocked. Room service was fast and food was wonderful.
As I checked out the next morning, again I saw the same lady. Again, everything was great and I headed to the airport.
My stay at the Empire Hotel, was wonderful. The surrounding area had some great restaraunts !!!.

Reviewed March 1, 2011

The hotel was absolutely beautiful and really loved staying there. So looking forward to going back when the roof top pool is open in the spring. Definitely recommnend this hotel. Great location and wonderful staff as well.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 28, 2011

This nicely-located hotel looks very stylish and seemed like it would be a good spot for us to crash after being in NYC for a baby shower one weekend. However, our room on the 10th floor (which is 2 floors below the rooftop nightclub) was vibrating from the bass beat of the club until 4am. I got no sleep. Upon calling the front desk to see if we could get a room change the night manager Erik told me they were sold out but he would call the club to ask them to turn down the volume and send up a pair of earplugs. Really? of course the club did not adjust the volume at all, and the earplugs never arrived. Also, our bathroom was laughably small. It literally fit a walk-in shower, commode, and tiny sink that was facing a wall - you could not stand in front of the sink as there was only about 3 inches between the front of the sink and the wall. You have to stand in front of the toilet and lean over in order to see yourself in the mirror. Makes it difficult to do hair or makeup. Lastly, teh room was too hot. It is Feb and we had to turn the AC on high all night, which resulted in a tolerable temperature, but not even cool. We had relatives staying in a double room on the 8th floor, and while they couldn't hear the club from that floor, their room was also a toaster.

Bottom line is this is not a hotel that worries about its guests returning by providing good customer service. If you do choose to stay here, I hope you are either planning on club-hopping until the wee hours or manage to snag a lower-floor room.

Reviewed February 27, 2011

I needed a quick getaway with my wife, and booked a "4 star hotel in the central park area" on Hotwire, not knowing what I would get. The service was excellent; the room beautiful and very clean; the staff accomodating in every way.

Reviewed February 27, 2011

Mike, Daniel and Jose set the tone for the hotel at the front door. We expected help with luggage and doors opened but they went the extra mile. Arriving, we were greeted with 'welcome to the Empire Hotel'. Each morning, we were greeted with a 'good morning' plus 'is there anything I can do for you this morning'. Each afternoon or night, we were greeted with 'welcome back, did you have a good day?' We began smiling when approaching them because we knew one or all would be there. Then there was the front desk. Mariana, Gabriel and Sean (the manager) were helpful in resolving our difficulties and in helping us with directions. We had problems with the heat and the water temperature in the shower. They were always gracious. We had a chance to experience the bar area. The bartenders, Mike and Frank, made drinks we requested although they had never made them before. They stopped by to see if we were enjoying them and to ask if there was anything that would improve the drink. Our waitress, I believe you spell her name, Nyahale, was a jewel. She recommended a light supper for us based on selective questioning and served us as honored guests. This hotel will be my hotel of choice on my next trip to New York City.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends