“Awesome hotel for a contest winner!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Empire Hotel

Empire Hotel
Ranked #317 of 467 Hotels in New York City
San Marcos
“Awesome hotel for a contest winner!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2014

I stayed at this hotel back in November 2010. I know, that's a long time, but here is my review. In October 2010, I won an all expenses paid trip to New York, and the Empire Hotel was chosen to fulfill my accommodations. The room features two double beds, which were quite comfortable for my mother and I. Our room overlooked the street, and it wasn't noisy at all.

The only issue we had was something that I anticipated due to the Empire Hotel being an older building. The water in the shower was barely lukewarm, and we discovered that if a neighbor guest was using their water, we wouldn't have any. So we took to filling glasses with water when we had it in case we needed to use it. My mother didn't like it, but we weren't paying for the stay, and it wasn't a big bother. I'm not sure if this issue has been fixed, but it may have in the past four years.

This hotel was perfect because we were located within walking distance to everything. Only in town for two days, we took in as much of the Big Apple as possible during this stay. In one day, we were able to do a 7-mile trek through most of New York's top attractions and landmarks, returning to our hotel after walking in a large loop. We were right across the street from Central Park and close to Broadway.

As someone who had never been to New York, this hotel was in the best location to allow a tourist to really explore the city. I only wish that I had a longer time in New York to see everything that I wanted to see. If you want excellent service and close location to all of the highlights of New York, then stay at the Empire Hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Joseph C, Manager at Empire Hotel, responded to this review, September 3, 2014
Hello Linda C,

Thank you for sharing your review! As the saying goes, it's "better late than never." Thank you for highlighting our central location and excellent customer service. We pride ourselves in personalized service and look forward to your overdue return visit. Please contact us at gm@empirehotelnyc.com and let us know when to expect you again!

We look forward to seeing you soon!

Joseph C.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (953)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Rio De Janeiro
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2014

it was a very pleasant staying. The location is very nice and easy to get by in the city where ever you want to go. You can walk to any theatre on Broadway and to have all the theatres of the Lincoln Center at your sight is a plus.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Hello Sergio S,

We are very pleased to hear you found our central location very convenient as you enjoyed the best entertainment New York City had to offer. Please consider The Empire Hotel as your home away from home and let us know when you will be coming back. Contact us at gm@empirehotelnyc.com.

We look forward to seeing you soon and thank you for staying with us!

New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2014

Check in Mr.Ze and was very helpful with all my wifi needs, very pleasant manner and was willing to take the time to work out my concerns we needed to contact Australia & Canada due to new family addition of new babies and sending birthday wishes. We were recommended by our travel agent with great reviews and we would not hesitate to tell all our travel friends about the friendly service and willing to help about with any questions Thank You Mr. Ze you are so great to deal with, travellers from down under Australia.

Room Tip: Always ask staff they know what is the best value for your tourist dollar is in the area would recom...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Hello Karen M.,

Thank you for recognizing The Empire Hotel and our staff member Ze who providing you the best hotel experience while visiting New York City. Your comments highlight the true essence of great customer service in that service goes beyond efficiency and professionalism. Great customer service shows compassion and deep understanding of each individual guest and their needs. We are proud to have an agent like Ze who provided you with that level of service.

We are glad to hear you are now a repeat customer. We look forward to your return visit and do let us know when by emailing us at gm@empirehotelnyc.com.

Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2014

Stayed at the empire hotel manhattan, great location! Friendly service, Jose in particular was extremely helpful and went the extra mile for me! Couldn't recommend the hotel and Jose enough!

Will deffo stay here again!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Hello Henry B,

Thank you very much for sharing your review and recognizing the highlights of The Empire Hotel. We are glad that our great location and friendly service from agents like Jose made your stay great.

Please let us know when to expect your return and email us at gm@empirehotelnyc.com. Jose and the rest of our team look forward to welcoming you back.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2014

Nothing was too much trouble & especially when I asked if a room upgrade was available Pasquale could not have been more helpful & went out of his way to ensure we received a more suitable room.
The hotel decor is very 30's and a little frayed at the edges but this didn't detract from a very enjoyable stay

Room Tip: Standard rooms are very small usually without a view so an upgrade to a superior room with a view is...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Hello ChrisnFrank,

Thank you for sharing your review with the Trip Advisor community! We appreciate you recognizing our esteemed agent Pasquale and we are pleased to hear he took great care of you.

We value your feedback regarding design and decor and we are excited to move forward with renovations scheduled for early 2015. Please contact us at gm@empirehotelnyc.com for any questions or concerns and we look forward to hearing from you.

New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2014

Arrived from London and Mr. Ze checked us in very efficiently and professionally. He made us feel very welcome and cared for!!!!!! Our Junior Suite is great for my family and has great views!!!
Nice Bathroom and very comfortable pull out couch for my son.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Hello Jay G.,

We are very pleased and grateful you shared your great experience at The Empire Hotel. We appreciate you recognized one of our great agents Ze and we are glad he welcomed you and your family warmly.

Our junior suites are the ideal room for families and like you noted, most have great views! We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Please let us know of your return visit and email us at gm@empirehotelnyc.com

NYC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2014

I live in NYC but needed a hotel for a few days so I checked into the Empire- the rate was reasonable and it's near enough to my neighborhood. I was there five nights and it was a pleasant five nights. My room- on the first floor, facing west ( 9th ave/ Lincoln Center) was extraordinarily quiet, light, and serene ( for NYC). I was treated courteously by the 1st floor housekeeping staff, who consistently respected my desire for privacy, and Pasquale at the front desk was enormously professional and helpful. On a sold- out weekend, he and the hotel were generous, I felt, in allowing me a late check- out.

As for food, I didn't eat at the hotel so cannot speak on that but I don't think they are known for their food. Fiorello's, Bar Boulud, etc across the square are okay and very pleasant to sit at but the food won't knock you out. PJ Clarke's right next door is not as cool as the Third Ave original but it is bright and airy, the food is decent, and the service is just great. Just down Broadway in Time Warner Center are, of course, a few of the best restaurants in the city and these places are beyond "okay". Worth every penny if you have it and you'll go to sleep many nights afterwards thinking about the experience (I'm speaking of Per Se and Porterhouse). But what I'd recommend to an out of towner staying at the empire is to walk over to Ninth Avenue and head down into Hell's Kitchen. After you cross 57th street you'll start to pass one good, moderately priced, interesting bar/ restaurant after another (something that doesn't exist in Lincoln Square). Just follow your nose- it's a pretty cool neighborhood still, in spite of (because of?) gentrification.

The thing I didn't like about the Empire was the lobby traffic- people waiting in line to get up to their inexplicably popular rooftop bar, the red rope, the obnoxious kids… it's not a good look and I don't see why an otherwise fairly sedate hotel in a very classy location would encourage that sort of thing.

Room Tip: I had a west facing room that was extremely quiet.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Marcwas
Hello Marcwas,

Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience staying at The Empire Hotel. We are glad that Pasquale gave you a warm welcome and that our housekeeping staff made you feel at home over the course of the five nights you were with us. We are happy to hear you found great value staying with us given the central location near fine dining as well as moderately priced options in Hell's Kitchen.

We apologize for the cluttered feel you encountered with the lines for the rooftop and your feedback is valuable to us to make improvements hereafter. Please do not hesitate to reach out to us at gm@empirehotelnyc.com if you have further questions or comments.