“Nice but needs improvements”
Review of Empire Hotel

Empire Hotel
Ranked #351 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed January 26, 2014 via mobile

Rooms are clean and nice. Windows are too old and thin, you can hear a lot of noise coming from outside and the cold also enters in the room (not nice when you have 5f. degree outside). I would suggest to offer the coffee (it costs 3$) and a bottle of water as basic amenities. Room service is ok, but it takes too long (30/45 minutes to get there.... Even only for a club).

Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Joseph R, Manager at Empire Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2014

Dear Anbril,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience from The Empire Hotel on Trip Advisor. We welcome all guest feedback as it gives us an opportunity to improve what we offer and learn from our guests’ experiences. It is awesome to hear that the location of the hotel met your expectations. Thank you as well for the comments on your clean room. Our Housekeeping team take great pride in providing a clean and comfortable atmosphere. We will be sure to share your comments with our team. I sincerely hope we have an opportunity to welcome you back soon.

gm@empirehotelnyc.com

Write a ReviewReviews (6,250)

Reviewed January 24, 2014

You're well taken care of at the Empire. The only thing tat stopped this from being a five star review was the strong smell of chlorioin our room. Granted we were very close to the pool and the smell faded quickly but it wasn't the warm welcome we imagined.
Otherwise the room was lovely, the view of Lincoln Center made me not want to sleep. In fact my roommate didn't but instead spent most of the night eating pizza on the fountains edge.
We lounged in the lobby bar, roomy with super comfy couches.

We hit a few snags in our travel plans and the folks at the Empire made it seem lime lucky break.

Check out the little restaurant next door too, friendly bar tender and great crowd, we ended every night there.

Room Tip: We were on the fifth floor which had beautiful views but watch out for that chlorine hit late aftern...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Joseph R, Manager at Empire Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 25, 2014

Dear Burntsugrr,

Thank you for the great feedback on Trip Advisor. I am thrilled you enjoyed the location of our hotel and that you felt “well taken care of” by our staff. I agree with your comments on our beds- they are so comfortable it is hard to get up!
In addition, I am glad you had the opportunity to enjoy our fantastic location and a cocktail in the Lobby Bar. The Lobby Bar is such a comfortable and welcoming place to enjoy a season cocktail and small bite to eat. We have regular events there as well. Check out our Facebook page and website for the latest news and events! Thank you for staying at The Empire Hotel and we look forward to welcoming you back the next time you visit New York.

Regards,

Reviewed January 23, 2014

I stayed at the empire for two nights last weekend. My room, which was on the fourth floor, was clean, quiet, and overall very nice. The bed was the most comfortable I've slept in for ages.

The staff I encountered were helpful an courteous, though check-in was slow. The lobby is rather dark and cold, so if you want a place to read or relax, you're probably better off trying the Starbucks next door.

The location was perfect. I am a woman and was traveling at home, and I felt perfectly comfortable walking back from the theater at 10 at night.

I would definitely return, although I'm not staying there on my next trip because the rates are way higher than what I paid for this stay.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo

Dear Ashley654,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review from your recent stay at The Empire Hotel. I am thrilled you enjoyed the location of our hotel and the service of our team and clean and comfortable room met your expectations. I will be sure to share your feedback with our staff. They love to receive recognition for their efforts (especially our hard working housekeeping team). The best comment they could get from a guest is a clean and comfortable room. If you should ever need assistance at The Empire Hotel, do not hesitate to contact me directly at the email address below. We offer competitive rates and should you have any questions just ask. I hope we have an opportunity to welcome you back for a return visit.

Regards,

Reviewed January 23, 2014

1) HOT. It's cold out, so they have the heat cranked up. Apparently it's in the floor or walls, because there is no way to control it. There is an old heat/cool/fan unit on the outer wall, which I turned off, hoping that by the time I got back from dinner, it would be cooler. No. It's just hot, dry hot. Desertlike. Prepare to strip down to your undies.
2) NO fitness. They claim there's a fab new fitness center, but I'll never see it. I went down to the lobby to find the special elevator to the floor where the fitness center is, only to be told that the elevator doesn't work and guests are not allowed to take stairs to it. (What would you do to get out of the building if you were down there and there was a fire?) The clerk seemed unaware that this could be upsetting to a person, just kept on with whatever he was working on, not making eye contact with me till he realized that I wasn't walking away. I could use the health club around the corner (note, it's still dark out, I'm a woman alone, I don't know my way around, it's 7 degrees F out)--there might be a way to reimburse me...(seemed to be some uncertainty about that). I could come back later. No, I need to be in a meeting, then on a plane. Indeed, I'll never be back at this hotel, if I have a choice (I didn't in this case, it was arranged by the company I'm meeting with).
3) Coffee in the room? Check the photo for coffee in the room. $3 for making your own K cup. Thank goodness for those instant packets I keep in my suitcase. The minibar items are equally high priced, but that's expected.
4) Small. The room is small, which is not a big deal for a place I'm in for less than 12 hours, but the bathroom is really tight. There's no place to put your stuff, except some narrow shelves above the toilet, and I seriously was afraid things would fall in, and kept the lid down. Small also means mini ironing board and I guess you're supposed to prop it on the bed or remove the minibar tray from the "desk" to use it. Also means no luggage rack for your suitcase.
5) Scary electric wires. So you're possibly wondering what I did about exercising this morning? There are always stairs, so I went up and down several times. In doing so, I came across this exposed wire (photo). As you can guess from the fact that I'm writing this, I didn't check to see if it was live or not.
6) Why a 2? It's clean, check-in was speedy. The decor is contemporary. Bed was comfortable.

Stayed: January 2014
maurizio b, General Manager at Empire Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 25, 2014

Dear LeakyB85,
Thank you for staying with us and for giving me the opportunity to answer you online.
I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your short visit with us.
I hope you will give us another chance in the future. Please feel free to contact directly at GMempirehotelnyc.com and I will personally assist you with the reservation.
It has been a challenge to manage the hotel temperature with this extreme cold weather. We have an engineering crew on site 24/7 always ready to assist any type of guest request, especially when it comes to control the room temperature.
We have experienced some technical malfunction with the dedicated elevator for our newly renovated gym. As an alternative we offer the complimentary use of the New York Sports Club located next door. I understand that this can be an inconvenience and I apology for this.
We do not directly operate the elevator maintenance. We have contracted a professional company to trouble shoot any type of elevator issue. Sometimes resolving the problem can take a little bit longer.
For the coffee and minibar prices, we are trying to keep them align with the market place.
If the space is really very important for you, I would recommend in the future booking Superior or a DeLuxe room. Our Standard rooms are approx. 191 square feet.
The security team inspects the emergency staircase on a daily basis and did not report any exposed wire. If you could email to me the picture I really appreciate. We take safety very seriously.

Reviewed January 22, 2014

My most recent stay at the Empire was January of 2014, though I stayed there once each in November and December of 2013, as well as approximately twenty times prior to that, all in conjunction with attending events at Lincoln Center. Prior to these last few visits, I would have rated the hotel at 3 or four, depending on the visit, mostly for carelessness that could have easily been rectified: towels but no face cloths in the bathrooms on every visit; doormen watching while I hauled my own luggage; failing to give out the wifi password upon check-in; cold air blasting those waiting to check in, etc. My last three visits have made me feel the staff have collectively made an effort to raise the level of service by eliminating these glitches. In addition, I am finally greeted as a returning traveller, as if somehow the guest history module has been activated at the front desk. Housekeeping/cleaning seems to be much more thorough of late, also. Rooms here tend to be on the small size, but not atypically small for New York--they are well appointed and comfortable with beautiful linens and a very expensive mini-bar (best tip I can offer: anything available from the minibar is available for much less at the 24 hour Duane Reade pharmacy/general merchandise store in the same building, round the corner with an entrance on Broadway). Prices vary for the rooms depending on the season, the standard room in December can cost three or four times what the same room in January goes for, but that is typical for New York hotels. There are relatively few hotels in the Lincoln Center area, and even if this were not true, I would still be impressed by the real commitment to change I have seen at the Empire, and I will continue to patronize it.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Laura M
maurizio b, General Manager at Empire Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2014

DearLaura M,
Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to share online your experience at the Hotel Empire.
I am happy to hear you had a great time and we are now your home away from home. Our commitment is to create special and memorable moments for our guests all the times. We are paying special attention to our guest history to be sure we welcome back our loyal customers. I am sure you receive our special black and white cookie every time you stay with us.
I really hope to meet you in person during your next trip.

Reviewed January 22, 2014

We're from the UK, stayed 17th January-21st January 2014. As it was for my 21st, the hotel kindly gave us an upgrade to king size and free wifi. Great location, was near the subway so could easily get to see the sights. Was a very nice comfortable stay! Lovely and helpful staff 24/7. Only thing we found that the lobby bar was quite expensive, but apart from that not a bad thing about it.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Abigail W,
Thank you for staying with us and for sharing your experience on Tripadvisor.
I am very happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and you loved our location. We are really on the perfect spot for any kind of activity in NYC. If you love music or ballet, Lincoln Center is just a step away. Don’t forget that Central Park is one block away from us.
I hope to see you back at the Empire soon and I promise I will buy you a drink at the bar.
Please feel free to contact me directly at GM@empirehotelnyc.com and I will be more than happy to personally assist on your future reservation.

Reviewed January 22, 2014

This is a great little boutique hotel. I usually go for the large hotel chains which include restaurants and room service but this hotel really is perfect for NYC. There is a Starbucks right outside the entrance and a grocery store if you want snacks, beer and wine. Central Park is a block away and the Columbus Mall is a 3 min walk away. Couldn't be happier. Nick helped us at check in and he made sure we had the right room. They didn't have what we needed the first night but the next day he had us moved to the 5th floor and it was perfect. Thanks, Nick! The rooms are not large but you're so busy in NYC that you even notice or care. It's cozy and well kept. We came for business and pleasure. Great time!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business

Dear LisaD,
I am happy to hear you had a great time and enjoyed your stay with us. Our commitment is to create special and memorable moments for our guests all the times. Clearly Nick made the difference.
I hope you found at the Empire your new home away from home!
Do not wait too long before you come back to visit us.