“New Year Spectacular!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #315 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“New Year Spectacular!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014

Our party were visiting from Scotland for a wedding in January and were seeking an appropriate venue to celebrate New Year. Gabriel at the Empire was most accommodating of all our requirements; food, beverage and age ranges etc. The hotel lobby area is extremely pleasant and we were given the mezzanine are for the duration of the evening including a 3 course sit down dinner. The masquerade theme was fantastic and would definately recommend this for future new years celebrations. The staff on the night couldn't be more helpful and a special thanks to Gabriel for organising this over many emails.

Room Tip: Party members who resided at the Empire were very happy with their stay
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
maurizio b, General Manager at Empire Hotel, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
Dear GosScot,
Thank you for staying with us and for sharing your experience online.
I am happy to hear you enjoyed our Masquerade event for New Year’s Eve. We will do the same next year. I hope you will come back!
I spoke to Gabriel about your event during the planning phase. He was very happy that you choose our venue.
I hope to see you back at the Empire soon. Please feel free to contact me directly at GM@empirehotelnyc.com and I will be more than happy to personally assist on your future reservation.
GM@empirehotelnyc.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (956)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Boulder
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2014

The location is absolutely PERFECT for the metropolitan opera. Literally 10 minutes from final curtain to hotel room! The west-side location is also very convenient to Central Park, and to the underground via Columbus Circle station.

The hotel seemed extremely expensive for what you get -- but I'll readily admit that I am not a regular New York traveler, and by the standards of that city it was probably very reasonable -- a little over $1000 for three nights. The room was small, with only a shower and no tub, but quiet and comfortable enough.

The front desk staff were extremely helpful and friendly, and found me a room when, upon arrival, I realized that I had booked on the wrong night! The booking error was mine, not theirs, but they went out of their way to help me. All in all, a good experience, a great location, and I would recommend it to others.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Derek S
Dear Derecks,
Thank you for staying with us and for sharing your experience online.
I am happy to hear you found our front desk helpful and friendly. This is really our daily goal!
I agree with you about the location. It is simply perfect if you want to visit Manhattan.
Our rates are aligned with normal NYC pricing, and generally offering good value for the rate.
Quincy, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2014

We stayed this past weekend at the Empire Hotel and cannot say enough about the excellent location. It is close to Lincoln Center, Rock Center, Central Park and art museums (MOMA, Frick and Met). Starbucks on the corner below was also a plus!
There were a couple of negatives though- there was a lot of noise from the street below. We were on the 5th floor and facing the street. Maybe go higher or toward the back of the building if you want a more quiet room. Also, the walls are paper thin. We could hear a lot of the conversations from the room beside us.
The hotel itself is beautifully decorated. The room was small but nicely arranged. The shower was excellent.
One last negative was $3.00 for the in room coffee...really??? you couldn't throw that in at no cost?

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear shaugman,
Thank you for staying with us and for giving me the opportunity to respond you online.
I agree with you about the location. It is simply perfect!
I do apology about the street noise. There were some emergency repairs to be done due to the construction of the new city water line. They finally finished!
Let me know if you planning your next trip to NYC. I will definitely take care of the coffee charges!
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2014

This was the first time a friend and I stayed at the Empire and it was AMAZING! The staff were so welcoming and even though the elevators were a little glitchy on the day we were departing, a staff stayed in the elevator and made sure everyone was taken care. We were greeted each time we came in (no matter the hour) and when a small mistake was made on a room service order, a fruit plate was brought up within minutes after correcting the error. So sweet and totally not necessary. the location of the hotel was excellent and we will both stay here again!!

Room Tip: avoid the rooms on the 11th floor if you want peace and quiet...12th floor is the bar.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Dear AMym,
Thank you for staying with us and for sharing your experience on Tripadvisor.
I hope that after your first there will be a second and many others!
I am really happy to hear you found our team welcoming and always ready to greet you. This is really our goal and commitment!
I am sorry about the mistake with the room service. At the end we are human and sometimes we do mistakes. I understand that you have appreciated our genuine recovery gesture.
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2014

Pros: great location and friendly housekeeping. Right across from Lincoln Center mid city one block from Central Park. Our room was clean and not too small.

Cons: WATCH OUT. We made a reservation on the phone and were quoted a AAA rate. They did not send an email confirmation that we kept and hey refused to honor the rate. Charged us over $100 more per night. Charged $3 per cup of coffee using the in room machine (small sign in room warned of this charge, but we did not have any coffee!). Quoted a $25 fee per night for emotional support animal in room but never discussed the additional $100 per stay "final cleaning fee" in addition until we arrived. Refused to accept any documentation of emotional support animal stating that only service animals qualified for waiver of fees for small animal. Communication in hotel terrible. Luggage lost with doormen, albeit it briefly it created anxiety.

CANNOT RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL FOR THESE REASONS.

Room Tip: Best rooms have a view to broadway and or a bathtub. Corner suites are good for 3 people.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank May B
Dear Mayb,
Thank you for sharing your experience and for giving me the opportunity to answer you online.
I am sorry to hear you did not enjoy your stay and that you would not come back. Our goal is to create memorable experiences for our hotel guest. It looks like we fail and I am very disappointed.
Please email me directly at GM@empirehotelnyc.com with more details about your reservation and I will review the details with our reservation department.

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2014

We stayed for 2 nights at the Empire Hotel while visiting family whom live in the area in a superior king sized room. The hotel is in a great location at 63rd and Broadway in the UWS, with easy access to Lincoln Center, Central Park, and the rest of Manhattan via the close metro stop 4 blocks down at 59th and Columbus Circle. When we first checked in, we were given the wrong size room (a queen), which is very small (likely less than 100 sq ft) and contains no furniture to unpack clothes in. However, we walked down to the front desk and showed them our confirmation email from Orbitz and they corrected the problem politely and quickly (even provided free wifi for our trouble). The superior king room was large enough for the two of us but would be cramped with more people. While the bed was comfortable, the room was outdated and had wallpaper falling off in places and a well-used wardrobe and bathroom. In the rooms, it is helpful to read all the prices on snacks, water, etc, just to know what the incidental charges could come to (the water next to the bed was $7.50). The gym, located in the basement, was nice and had treadmills, ellipticals, weights, and mats for yoga. The staff were helpful but seemed very rushed, as we typically could not find the concierge when we wanted assistance. Overall, the location is what is a major plus for this hotel. The price point is much lower than the Ritz and Mandarin Oriental in the area, so The Empire serves as a good base in the UWS as long as you are not expecting a five star boutique hotel experience.

Room Tip: Choose a superior king or larger to have space to walk around in the room. Additionally, the lower f...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear AustinM,
Thank you for staying with us and for sharing your experience on Tripadvisor.
I am happy to hear that our front desk managed to give you a nice room with complimentary WIFI access code.
Our engineering team is checking regularly our guest rooms to be sure we address small imperfection before the guest arrival. Unfortunately we did not manage to enter the room before your arrival. I do sincerely apology for this.
I agree with you about our location and that we offer a good value for the price paid.
I hope you will give us another chance in the near future. Please email me directly at GM@empirehotelnyc.com and I will personally assist you with the reservation.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2014

We had tickets to a performance at Lincoln Center. Since I knew it would be freezing out and the opera wasn't over until midnight, I wanted to be close to Lincoln Center. This hotel isn't even half a block away. It is PERFECT if you want to just walk to your hotel after a performance and not deal with a cab.

However, a minor, but slightly strange issue. When we got ready for bed...there was no top sheet on the bed. Strange!!! Called front desk and they did send up a sheet within minutes. It seemed odd and we put the sheet on ourselves.

Also, I was rather surprised that they were charging for coffee made in the room. Seems odd there would be a machine and coffee to make a cup...but it cost $3.50. I hate the nickel and diming. Also, $7.50 for a small bottle of water...YIKES....even for NY that is crazy.

So, perfect Lincoln Center location....but check your sheets when you get to the room!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank DaisyM03
maurizio b, General Manager at Empire Hotel, responded to this review, January 16, 2014
Dear DaisyM03,
I agree with you about the location. It is simply perfect!
I do apology for the missing top sheet and I will review with our housekeeping team.
We try to keep our prices in line with the market place. These include the minibar and the coffee maker.
Let me know when you are coming back and I promise the coffee will be on me!