“Great location, but many issues”
Review of Empire Hotel

Empire Hotel
Ranked #345 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed November 6, 2013

Stayed in the Empire as part of our team location for the MYC marathon. Paid 350USD night, with taxes etc ended at 400, could have done much better elsewhere.
The staff were good and accommodating, they changed our room immediately once we complained of the noise from the aircon unit.
The rooms where OK, good bed but no hanging space, very bad for business trip. the shower and bath were OK but could use a touch up as the door already had water damage.
the room beside us had glasses out in the hall for 24 hours that weren't cleaned up.
The lobby is well designed, but a bad wind comes in from the street and makes it cold.
People were putting their shoes on the tables in the lobby and no employee asked them to remove their feet, people later put drinks and food on those surfaces.

To get to the hotel, just take a taxi from Penn station if you came in from JFK.

All in all, it's ok, but there may be better ones out there.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms that are not on the air condition unit side.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Joseph R, Manager at Empire Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2013

Dear Moshe L,

Thank you for the detailed review from your recent stay at The Empire Hotel. We take our guests’ feedback seriously and use it to improve the product and service that we offer. I appreciate your candid comments which will allow us to correct deficiencies and make improvements. Please contact me directly at gm@empirehotelnyc.com if you would like to discuss your experience or if you need any assistance. We are not satisfied with simply being “OK”. We have a staff of committed and genuine people with the common goal of creating memorable experiences by proving quality and personal guest service. I hope we have an opportunity to welcome you back to The Empire Hotel. I am sure your next experience will be “great”!

Reviewed November 6, 2013 via mobile

Booked this hotel on recommendation by travel agent! Won't be taking their advice again!!!! So glad I read reviews for this hotel before I arrived!! I think it could've ruined my stay if I hadn't been pre-warned!! On the whole the reviews were very honest. The rooms are tiny! We were in a 'superior grade room', thank goodness because I would hate to think how small a standard room would be - a broom closet???? The room was tired and dated and not very clean! Couldn't access the roof at all! Everything very expensive!The service wasn't the best some reception staff were particularly unfriendly, unhelpful and quite condescending!! The hotel is on 63rd St and quite a distance from everything you would want to see in NYC. Not a particularly memorable experience and I really don't think we would be back! Certainly couldn't and wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone!

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends

Dear h4dox,

Thank you for the detailed review from your stay at The Empire Hotel. We encourage travelers to research hotels before they choose the right one for them based on pricing, location, amenities and service. We are on the Upper West Side, directly across from Lincoln Center; steps away from Central Park and Columbus Circle and a short walk from Times Square. We have a restaurant, Rooftop Bar and Lounge, Lobby Bar and seasonal Pool Deck all designed for our guests’ comfort and convenience. Our location is perfect for a local New Yorker and a tourist alike. Please note that our Standard rooms are approx. 191 square feet. At The Empire, we offer different room types with various layouts all designed to meet the specific needs of our guests. I am disappointed that you would not return as we are proud of our hotel and team of humble people all committed to providing genuine guest service. If you want to discuss your experience or need any assistance do not hesitate to reach me at gm@empirehotelnyc.com. Thank you for staying at The Empire Hotel.

Reviewed November 5, 2013

Stayed here for NY marathon, very convenient for the marathon. Convenient location, three blocks from subway. Rooms are small and bathrooms even smaller. No Internet, but you can pay a secondary provider. Close to Lincoln ctr, lots of restaurants close by

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 5, 2013

We stayed at the Empire Hotel for the NYC marathon and could not have picked a better location for our stay! The hotel is very contemporary with up to date decor and furnishings. The rooms are about the size you should expect in Manhattan, and the beds are super comfy. I loved that leopard chair in the room ... grrrrr, baby, grrrr!

The faux wood tiles on the bathroom walls and floors are very cool. I also loved the peppermint-lavender bath products. Smelled so good!

It was a short walk over to Central Park for race activities, and it was also very convenient to the finish line of the race. Nearby there are several good restaurants (Rosa Mexicano, The Smith) where you can grab a bite to eat and a drink.

Two thumbs up. If I'm ever back on the UWS, this will be my hotel of choice! (Just wish the rooftop area had been open!)

Room Tip: Our room overlooked the little park outside, and we could also see Lincoln Center. Very nice!
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SandBAtlanta
Joseph R, Manager at Empire Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 10, 2013

Dear SandBAtlanta,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience from The Empire Hotel on Trip Advisor. It was a pleasure to host you during NYC Marathon weekend. We welcome all guest feedback as it gives us an opportunity to improve what we offer and learn from our guests’ experiences. It is awesome to hear that the location of the hotel and service provided by our staff met your expectations. Our staff is committed to providing genuine and friendly service to our guests. We will be sure to share your comments with our team. I look forward to welcoming you back the next time your travels bring you to New York. Our location is perfect on the Upper West Side, steps away from Central Park and convenient by subway to any area of the city.

Regards,

gm@empirehotelnyc.com

Reviewed November 4, 2013

After having had an amazing time the first time around, i was surprised to find that this hotel lived up to the high standards I had from my first experience 12 months prior. Great location as close to subways and central park hotel. Concierge is helpful and completely up to date with what is happening in New York. The bar staff are absolutely the best - Frank, Mike and Gerard are helpful and friendly.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed November 4, 2013

I had an absolutely perfect stay at the Hotel over the weekend.
With the Marathon on, the surrounding area could not have been crazier but the Empire kept it's cool, and delivered a quality stay. Kudos.

Brendan at the door & Lila and Ze at the desk, took extra efforts to ensure my stay was seamless, and I would absolutely recommend the Empire to anyone looking for a great hotel in a PRIME location. The staff are top notch, and will go the extra mile to ensure you're a happy camper.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo

Dear Joey H,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience from The Empire Hotel on Trip Advisor. I am thrilled you enjoyed the comfort of your room and all of the amenities and outlets of our hotel met your expectations. As you know, our hotel offers a phenomenal location steps away from the finish line of the NYC Marathon in Central Park. It’s awesome to see that our attentive staff provided great service throughout your stay. I will be sure to share your feedback with them. They love to receive recognition for their efforts (especially after a busy and successful NYC Marathon weekend!). Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Empire Hotel the next time your travels bring you to New York.

Regards,

gm@empirehotelnyc.com

Reviewed November 4, 2013

First a disclaimer - as a NGO worker from the global south, this is not the type of hotel I would ever choose for myself. It was booked for me while I am in New York for a conference.

The hotel just feels run down - the air-conditioning unit in my room is old and noisy (as is the hotel generally), the tap fitting in the shower is loose, the plug in the basin doesn't release properly so you have to dig it out with your fingers. Add to that the scruffy and fraying towel currently adorning my towel rack and it really doesn't match the price being paid. Personally, I don't mind things being a little rundown, provided rooms are clean - I have stayed in very basic facilities elsewhere. Hotel Empire is clean but I am really surprised how much is being charged for this room, given the state of my room.

The room and bathroom are both very small, which is not really a problem in and of itself but the fact that almost every free surface is used for a coffee machine you have to pay to use, and a tray of overpriced snacks (apparently stuffing the bar fridge full to the brim was not enough) and gadgets means that there really is NO space to move, let alone work. I have kept the blinds closed for my stay to date (the view of the airshaft nothing to write home about) which just makes the room feel even smaller.

Add to that the fact that there is no free wifi in the room - and the internet rates charged are ridiculous! - and staying in this hotel for the conference has been a real pain - between having no space to work in my room in amongst all the overpriced snacks, and no internet, I have had to traipse down to the noisy lobby with my laptop to do any work.

If I had had any control over this booking, I would have left after the first night but when I asked about this at reception, I was told that because the booking was made through Expedia, this was not possible.

In summary, a nice enough hotel in an excellent location for a holiday (if you can get a special offer, otherwise it would still be overpriced!), but definitely not a good option for business.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business