“The best location for the Price!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Empire Hotel

Empire Hotel
Ranked #315 of 467 Hotels in New York City
San Diego, California
“The best location for the Price!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2013

A great location, reasonable price for all that I got in my room and the professional service at guest services with Nick was very nice too. The lobby/bar is very trendy and seems very popular with the locals, I look forward to my return.

Room Tip: Upon arrival, ask for any possible room upgrades-you may get a room with a view to Lincoln Center!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (965)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2013 via mobile

2 minutes walk from Central Park, right next to the Lincoln Centre. No breakfast included but there's a Starbucks right next door, and a supermarket next to that. Clean rooms and helpful staff. Nice rooftop bar. Didn't get a chance to check out the gym - too much site seeing to be done! - but apparently it's newly renovated.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Chester2222
Dear Chester2222,

Thank you for the feedback from your recent stay at The Empire Hotel. It is great to see that a Trip Advisor Contributor had a pleasant experience. Thank you as well for sharing some area tips as I am sure other travelers will find your review useful. I know it is hard to find time to work out while visiting New York. Visiting all of the area attractions and sampling restaurants, cafes and bars can be a work out all its own. We hope to see you again soon. The fall season is a great time to visit the Upper West Side with Lincoln Center. I hope we have an opportunity to welcome you back to The Empire Hotel in the near future.

Queens, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2013

A group of us were spending a few nights in Manhattan and decided to stay at Empire Hotel. I was impressed the moment I entered the hotel. Location of the hotel is good too, especially with the subway system being so close. And for those attending an event at the Lincoln Center, the hotel is perfect because it is literally across the street. For those that do not want to travel far during the day or night, you can use the pool on the roof during the day, or go to the nightclub at night--we enjoyed both very much. The staff at Empire Hotel is helpful and attentive, especially Nicole. Our group needed some special assistance, and she pulled through for us.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Eric P,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review from your recent stay at The Empire Hotel. It was a pleasure to have you and your group stay with us. I am glad that overall you enjoyed your time with us and that your room was comfortable and spacious. I sincerely hope we have an opportunity to welcome you back to The Empire Hotel the next time your travels bring you to New York.

Regards,

Malibu, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2013

The Empire Rocks!
The best thing about the Empire Hotel is their Staff.
From the Gentleman who greeted us and got us settled when we first arrived, to the fabulous front desk staff, we felt very welcome.

Nick at the front desk was especially helpful and gracious and helped my friend Heather find exactly what she was looking for. The location of the hotel is great and is easy access for anything you want to do in the city.

Amazingly, the room was also comfortable and quiet at night so we were able to sleep! Great on a business trip.

Overall, a very fun place!

Room Tip: Talk to Nick :)!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2013

We're currently staying at the Empire Hotel until 9/16/13, and I'll say it has even disappointing. I planned this trip to NYC for the last month and although the reviews of this hotel were just above average, I decided to book here anyway due to the location and decor of the rooms- and was excited and looking forward to our stay. Ugh...what a waste! 1st- we checked in on Friday, 9/13 around 4pm and was given a standard room with a "pretty decent veiw" over looking g Lincoln center. The room was very small as I suspected as tge reviews warned me about this but hey, it's NY but so no big deal breaker. The too was very worn with shower caulking issues, a hole in the wall near the closet and badly stained lamp shades but still not a total desk breaker! As I was not given a receipt of any type of paperwork to sit upon check in other than my room keys, it wasn't until later that evening I noticed I was charged over $300 more than I booked the room for. When I called the Front Desk I was notified this extra charge was for "incidentals" and would be refunded "sometime" after check out. I vacation 4 times a year and have never been charged for "incidentals" but being that I booked this hotel through a new website, I didn't complain and again not a deal breaker. But then..."deal breakers" began to occur. On our 1st morning, we were awakened by very loud housekeepers in the hallway talking and slamming guest room doors. Even though I had a "do not disturb sign" on our door the maid not only came through the door...but she literally did not knock once!!! Literally!!! Exhauseted we decided to get up anyway as we had already been rudely awakened. As we began to wash up, we noticed the sink stopper was closed and would not open. therefore not allowing any water to drain from the sink, so I brushed my teeth in the shower and called for maintenance repair. We finally went out for the day and turned our "magnetic" sign in the door indicating we were ready for housekeeping service. This is when I noticed what may have been the challenge with our maid just walking through the door. (the side of tve sign indicating "do not disturb" was highlighted in Green. And the other side of the sign indicating "maid service" was highlighted in Red) hmmm?! Ok I though well surely the staff can read there own signs although all the other signs on the other guest doors were appropriate to the verbiage and color. Mines seemed to be the only typo or mis-print. So we went out all day only to return around 7pm to find surprise, surprise our room was still not cleaned. (Although the sink was fixed). I immediately called housekeeping only to get no answer. I contacted Front Desk and after explaining the situation I was told " let me transfer you to housekeeping" again no answer! I again contacted front desk. Finally they said they would make sure my too was cleaned right away. A maid did come right away holding towels and alchemical bottle. I showed her the mis-printed "do not disturb sign" with the color mis-coordination and explained to her this may have been the reason for the days mix up, to which she resoonded "oh yeah" and placed the sign again on the back of the door. (Wow...really?!) We left the room so she could clean and went out on the town. We returned at 3am to find neither if our room keys worked anymore. My husband retrieved to the Front Desk to collect a new one. As his name was not on the reservation, i was contacted by the hotel by phone to verify some simple information so a new key could be made for him. But when i stopped by the Front Desk to retrieve a new key for myself....not so much as my I.D. was e even collected. i was just asked "what room are you in?" and handed an extra key. this was scary to me, but as i was tired i didnt ask any questions and retreated to my room. Upon entering the room we found, the housekeeper did not leave us 1 single wash cloth but DID manage to leave her chemical bottle on the window ledge of our room. I kindly placed the cleaning bottle and the "I'll informing don't disturb sign in tvehalkway" for hiusekeeping to retrieve. At 5am my husband became very ill with kidney stones to the point where we needed to rush him to the hospital. I immediately called Front Desk and explained to them the urgency and asked if they could call a cab for us to transport us to Riosevelte hospital. The Front Desk person said "no problem" there's cabs awaiting out front. Wonderful I thought! However, when I managed to walk my despretly ill husband down stairs to the lobby and outside in the cold the only 2 cabs awaiting were both off duty and could not help. One of the cab drivers however saw my husband buckeling over in pain and me frantically trying to attend to him and hail a cab at the same time with no help from hotel staff...the cab driver himself got out of his car and went in the middle of the street to stop the very next cab he saw. He immediately explained the urgent situation to the cab that finally stooped, helped me get my husband in, and then we were finally on our way to the emergency room. I still cannot believe how not a single employee from the Empire Hotel offered any assistance what so ever even with something as simple as ensuring a paying guest who has phoned down at 5am with an emergency situation could not even just assured a cab was standing by! I wasn't asking them to pay for the cab....just to be there waiting as we came out into the cold streets. These staff members need serious guest service courses...and fast!! I cannot imagine being so incompetent, unhelpful and unresponsive. I cannot wait to check out!!!

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Jhalimagalvan
Dear Jhalimagalvan,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review from your most recent stay at The Empire Hotel. Please know that it is standard to authorize an additional amount above room and tax for incidentals. This is for your convenience and to ensure that you can order room service, enjoy a cocktail, or extra services and charge them to your room. The authorization is released after departure and is standard practice in all hotels.

I am extremely disappointed and concerned to hear of your negative experience. It is certainly not indicative of the service our staff strives to provide our guests. I hope that your husband is well. I am concerned that you felt that our staff did not provide assistance during a challenging situation. It I have shared your comments with our team and we will address accordingly. I wish you had shared your concerns with me or another manager before departing. Thank you for your patience and understanding. Please contact me directly at gm@empirehotelnyc.com if you would like to discuss your experience or if you need any assistance.

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

Baltimore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2013

The staff was very nice and accommodating. When we got in there were only smoking rooms left. Nick at the desk went out of his way to get us a non-smoking room and he made it so we wouldn't even have to wait. A+++ service from him! The room was fairly small, but the beds were very comfy. Overall it was a very great stay!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2013

We had a wonderful time exploring NYC and staying at the Empire Hotel was perfect for that. It had a great location, close to Central Park, the Subway and within walking distance to many restaurants. We were lucky (some say unlucky) to of been there during a snow storm and our room was looking out over the street which was beautiful. Some say the rooms are small, however compared to other hotels we have stayed at in NYC this was massive. Would highly recommend a return visit.

Room Tip: A room with a view over the street is a must!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Lily C,

Thank you for the great comments in your review on Trip Advisor. I am thrilled The Empire Hotel was a warm and comfortable place to be during a snow storm. It is great that you enjoyed the comfort of your room and all of the amenities and outlets of our hotel met your expectations. As you know, our hotel offers a phenomenal location steps away from Central Park in the middle of Lincoln Center. I hope we have an opportunity to welcome you back to The Empire Hotel in the near future (and hopefully during some better weather!).

Regards,