6,871 results
All reviewslincoln centered's chowder housegossip girlpool deckcentral parkcolumbus circlegreat locationrooftop barnew yorkupper west sidejunior suiterooms are smallaround the cornertimes squarefew blocksnycstarbucks
Reviewed August 4, 2013

To begin with the Hotel is in an amazing part of town, close to entertainment and shopping sites. A wonderful place for families to stay. I was impressed with the friendliness of the staff and was surprised at their knowledge of the city and willingness to share ideas and suggestions. Lyonel and Michael at the bar were extra friendly and knowledgeable. I highly recommend the bar and pool deck for the supreme view,

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Al R
Reviewed August 4, 2013

First of all, the vaunted Rooftop Bar, with its magnificent view of nothing, should have been kept for the enjoyment of guests, like a building roof should be available to its residents. I didn't anticipate sharing space with a nightclub, complete with bouncers and velvet ropes.

The elevators in this hotel should be ripped up and replaced. There were only 2 of 4 cars working; Each holds about 8 people; and people jam into them like they are subway cars. Maybe some of those elevators to the roof should be give over to the hotel.

Since I was not properly dressed for the rooftop, I hoped the lobby bar would be nice - until they did last call at midnight. Hell, are we in New York City or Podunk? I had to go next door to PJ Clarke's for a beer.

The room design in my King Suite (1036) was absurd: a foot-deep desk positioned smack in front of the widescreen TV, with no desk lighting at all; if you wanted to lean over the desk you would hit your head on the TV. Love that 6 x 6 bathroom with the toilet-paper roll 5 of those feet out of reach, plus cardboard cups instead of drinking glasses. Real classy.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
Joseph R, Manager at Empire Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2013

Dear fred w,

Thank you for posting a review from your recent stay at The Empire Hotel on Trip Advisor. We take our guests’ feedback seriously and use it to improve the product and service that we offer. Thank you for sharing your candid comments and we will be sure to investigate your reported inconveniences. Kindly note that The Empire Rooftop is managed and operated separately from the hotel. We have a great relationship with their management team and will be sure to share your comments. They have a commitment to service and welcome feedback. Perhaps the next time you visit, you will have an opportunity to enjoy the Pool Deck. It is now open for the Summer and is the perfect place to catch some rays and enjoy a refreshing cocktail!

Regards,

Joseph Rauer
Assistant General Manager
gm@empirehotelnyc.com

Reviewed August 4, 2013

We stayed for one night on a Saturday and booked the "Splash" package, which included 2 drink vouchers and continental breakfast for 2. Price was good for NYC and for its awesome location. Our room overlooked Lincoln Center. Check in was easy and staff was nice, but they didn't go out of their way to explain anything (like the vouchers). Like many other reviews of this hotel, the elevators are slow so expect to wait a few minutes. Our room was on the 6th floor, standard queen.. Like I said, fine for a night or 2 if you are out and about in the city. Rooms are tiny! Be prepared for a small space, but it was ok for the time we were there. The A/C didnt work in our room and I had read reviews of others who had the same issue. We told the front desk on our way out for the night, when we returned it still wasnt working and no note or message to say someone looked at it.. It was 1am and we had cracked the window open and luckily the night was cool so that helped.
The continental breakfast was kind of a joke to be honest. It was on the rooftop which was great. You get either a bagel, danish or cereal, only one choice. Then there was yogurt and apples/oranges.. They had tea and coffee, no juice.. It was just really basic. Since it was included we were ok. I wouldn't pay separate for it( go to starbucks downstairs!). The pool is very small, just enough for one or 2 people to get wet , not kid friendly!
Overall we were happy with our stay. Location was perfect for what we had planned. Come with supplies such as water and snacks, its beyond ridiculous for how much they charge... I would stay there again with the expectation of I know what I'm getting and for under $300 and so close to Columbus Cir and the park not too shabby for NYC.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Goldengirl77
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Let's start off by saying that I absolutely loved the Empire Hotel. On my recent trip to New York I had the opportunity to stay at both the Empire and another hotel that we will not mention here. The Empire was by far the superior choice.

What had originally drawn me to the Empire was the responsiveness of their Assistant General Manager Joe. I saw that he was very active in responding to guests here on Tripadvisor and you just do not see that very often. It seemed like he really cared about the guest experience and was willing to go above and beyond in order to make sure the guest had a great stay and that they were satisfied with the hotel. That turned out to be very true and I have to say Joe really over delivered for me on this particular trip. Within minutes of my arrival at the Empire I knew this was going to be my go to hotel when traveling to NYC.

The front desk staff were friendly and efficient. I was registered and had keys to my room in just a few minutes, no delays of any sort. Upon entering my room I was very pleasantly surprised. I stayed in a Jr. Suite and this room was at least twice the size of any rooms I have previously had in NY. Everything was very clean and the views out of both, yes I said both, of my windows were spectacular. The room was nice and cool and both of the air conditioners produced a nice steady stream of cold air (yes again, I said both!). The bathroom was very nice and had a great shower with an overhead showerhead which is nice because I am pretty tall and most hotel showers force me to somehow become 5'6 in order to get underneath the water. They have done a great job of renovating this hotel while still keeping all the character. All in all the room was great.

The location was also fabulous. Right across the street from the Lincoln Center Theater and just a few short blocks to Central Park. Lots of great food close by as well.

I did not make it up to see the rooftop bar/pool this time but look forward to checking it out next time.

Thanks again Joe, I sure appreciate the hospitality and I will be back. To everyone else, please give the Empire a try I am sure you will love it as much as I did.

Side Note: When I went to the second hotel of my stay I was very disappointed in the very small, cramped and dirty room with a view of a brick wall. Bad choice to move but I needed to be on the other side of town for the remainder of my trip. I will know better next time.

Room Tip: The Jr. Suite was a nice upgrade and worth the extra charge
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed August 4, 2013

The hotel is well located, and the staff was friendly. Despite this, the hotel generally was unprofessional. The rooms (we had a suite) lacked any suitable place to put one's clothes; the wifi was inconsistent; the elevators were broken and unreliable, and the lobby felt more lack Grand Central than a hotel. The Hotel, unfortunately, is trading more off its rooftop bar, than it is off the basic services of being a hotel. If one is looking for a well run professional hotel- avoid. If one wants a place that wants to be a club that also offers beds- then it may be the right place.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank NYCinBp

Dear NYCinBp,

Thank for the review from your recent stay at The Empire Hotel. I am disappointed and concerned to hear of your negative experience. It is certainly not indicative of the service our staff strives to provide our guests. The Empire Rooftop is managed and operated separately from the hotel. Guest service is our highest priority and focus at the hotel. Please contact me directly at gm@empirehotelnyc.com if you would like to discuss your experience or if you need any assistance. I hope we have an opportunity to regain your confidence and trust in The Empire Hotel.

Joseph Rauer