WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Empire Hotel

Empire Hotel
Ranked #324 of 478 Hotels in New York City
Denver, Colorado
“Absolutely overdelivered, I will be back!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013

Let's start off by saying that I absolutely loved the Empire Hotel. On my recent trip to New York I had the opportunity to stay at both the Empire and another hotel that we will not mention here. The Empire was by far the superior choice.

What had originally drawn me to the Empire was the responsiveness of their Assistant General Manager Joe. I saw that he was very active in responding to guests here on Tripadvisor and you just do not see that very often. It seemed like he really cared about the guest experience and was willing to go above and beyond in order to make sure the guest had a great stay and that they were satisfied with the hotel. That turned out to be very true and I have to say Joe really over delivered for me on this particular trip. Within minutes of my arrival at the Empire I knew this was going to be my go to hotel when traveling to NYC.

The front desk staff were friendly and efficient. I was registered and had keys to my room in just a few minutes, no delays of any sort. Upon entering my room I was very pleasantly surprised. I stayed in a Jr. Suite and this room was at least twice the size of any rooms I have previously had in NY. Everything was very clean and the views out of both, yes I said both, of my windows were spectacular. The room was nice and cool and both of the air conditioners produced a nice steady stream of cold air (yes again, I said both!). The bathroom was very nice and had a great shower with an overhead showerhead which is nice because I am pretty tall and most hotel showers force me to somehow become 5'6 in order to get underneath the water. They have done a great job of renovating this hotel while still keeping all the character. All in all the room was great.

The location was also fabulous. Right across the street from the Lincoln Center Theater and just a few short blocks to Central Park. Lots of great food close by as well.

I did not make it up to see the rooftop bar/pool this time but look forward to checking it out next time.

Thanks again Joe, I sure appreciate the hospitality and I will be back. To everyone else, please give the Empire a try I am sure you will love it as much as I did.

Side Note: When I went to the second hotel of my stay I was very disappointed in the very small, cramped and dirty room with a view of a brick wall. Bad choice to move but I needed to be on the other side of town for the remainder of my trip. I will know better next time.

Room Tip: The Jr. Suite was a nice upgrade and worth the extra charge
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (919)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Budapest, Hungary
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013

The hotel is well located, and the staff was friendly. Despite this, the hotel generally was unprofessional. The rooms (we had a suite) lacked any suitable place to put one's clothes; the wifi was inconsistent; the elevators were broken and unreliable, and the lobby felt more lack Grand Central than a hotel. The Hotel, unfortunately, is trading more off its rooftop bar, than it is off the basic services of being a hotel. If one is looking for a well run professional hotel- avoid. If one wants a place that wants to be a club that also offers beds- then it may be the right place.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank NYCinBp
Joseph R, Manager at Empire Hotel, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
Dear NYCinBp,

Thank for the review from your recent stay at The Empire Hotel. I am disappointed and concerned to hear of your negative experience. It is certainly not indicative of the service our staff strives to provide our guests. The Empire Rooftop is managed and operated separately from the hotel. Guest service is our highest priority and focus at the hotel. Please contact me directly at gm@empirehotelnyc.com if you would like to discuss your experience or if you need any assistance. I hope we have an opportunity to regain your confidence and trust in The Empire Hotel.

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2013 via mobile

When we arrived, we were greeted by the lovely nick who was extremely friendly, warm and smily. He was aware it was our honeymoon and went out of his way to treat us by sending prosecca and chocolate strawberries to our room.
In addition, the concierge (male with blonde hair) was also extremely helpful and friendly. Te hotel is also very central and close to the subway. In general we had a very positive experience.

Some of the previous reviews on trip advisor are extremely harsh about this hotel, there may be some slight issues such as the slow elevators, but it really wasnt the end of the world. We also found the wifi in the lobby perfect and the shower was very powerful and warm at all times. Regarding the "small pool", at the end of the day it is new York and its a bonus to even have a pool.

• Stayed July 2013
Joseph R, Manager at Empire Hotel, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
Dear Donna22mcc,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor. Thank you as well for choosing our hotel to celebrate your honeymoon. I am thrilled that our hotel and the service of Nick Front Office team met your expectations. I will be sure to share your review with them. They love to hear positive feedback from our guests. I appreciate your honest and candid feedback. We never advertise our pool as Olympic size. It is a refreshing and relaxing plunge pool on our Pool Deck which has plenty of space to enjoy a cocktail and music overlooking Lincoln Center. Thank you for staying with us and I look forward to welcoming you back to The Empire Hotel.

Regards,

gm@empirehotelnyc.com
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2013

Great service at the Empire Hotel. Really enjoyed the rooftop lounge. Michael and Lyonel were great and mixed up some fantastic drinks. Can't beat the view from up top. Will definitely be coming back soon.

• Stayed August 2013
Delray Beach, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2013

This hotel should not be a four star hotel. AC is so loud; the bathroom is not up to standard even it is renovated (renovated badly). I have never seen the uneven floor in hotel in my life and room #1140 is with uneven floor. We paid the superior room with breakfast on pool deck and because it was raining NO BREAKFAST. If you would like to talk to manager, he is busy on the meeting.
Total disappointment and we should never recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
maurizio b, General Manager at Empire Hotel, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Dear Traveler 869
Thank you for staying with us and for giving me the opportunity to answer you directly online.
I will review your comments about the room with the engineering team, to assure we will make the necessary adjustment to the AC unit. The floor conditions will be addressed during our guest room renovation in 2014.
I am surprised about your breakfast comment. We serve daily continental breakfast by the pool deck and in case of closing for rain, we direct our guests to the hotel restaurant located by the mezzanine. It is clearly written on the breakfast voucher. I am sorry for the confusion.
I do apology if you did not have a chance to speak to a manager during your stay. We limit our meetings to a very minimum to be sure we are always available for our hotel guest. Please feel free to contact me directly at GM@empirehotelnyc.com and we can review together your stay more in details. I appreciate your honest feedback.
All the best,
Maurizio Bonivento
GM@empirehotelnyc.com
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2013

My stay at the Empire Hotel was extremely enjoyable. The rooms were very clean and the location is unbeatable! The service was amazing and extremely helpful. Lyonel and Michael especially provided great service at the bar! Very entertaining and informative.

• Stayed August 2013
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2013

We enjoyed last year's stay so much that my teenage daughter and I returned again this week. And we were so glad we did -- it's still buzzing, fun, quirky, from the moment you walk into the lobby.
The staff is wonderful -- friendly, outgoing. Lila and her colleagues at the front desk, Chris and the other concierge staff, Michael and the other gents on the front door. There was no problem too small -- restaurant reservations, shuttle arrangements, parking for my niece driving in from Connecticut... you name it, they sorted it out. Rarely have I seen a hotel with so many cheerful, efficient employees.
Yes, the rooms are small and the bathrooms are TINY and yes, the showers can be a pain -- but, having said that, everything does work properly, and the beds are very comfy, with lovely soft bedding. Prices seem pretty reasonable to me for a great hotel in New York City. And, as everyone else has noted, the location is simply superb.
The Empire really has a great vibe -- there's no other word for it. We'll definitely be back again!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Joseph R, Manager at Empire Hotel, responded to this review, August 3, 2013
Dear InternatTraveller,

Thank you for the great comments in your review on Trip Advisor. It’s awesome to see that the vibe and comfort of the hotel met your expectations. Thank you for mentioning our team in your feedback. I will be sure to share it with each of them. Thank you as well for returning with your daughter this year. I hope you make it a tradition to visit The Empire Hotel every year and look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in New York.

gm@empirehotelnyc.com