“The bar was great!”
Review of Empire Hotel

Empire Hotel
Ranked #343 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed March 24, 2013

I was visiting NYC and stopped by the bar for a quick drink since I saw it on TV and Michael was the manager and asked how out visit was. I thought it was great that the manager stopped by our table to see how we were doing and we were not even guests of the hotel! Our bartender Andrea also did a great job making drinks for us all night! I would highly recommend this bar to any of my friends to stop by and check out!

• Stayed: March 2013
Joseph R, Manager at Empire Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2013

Dear Tylergp1127,

Thank you for stopping by The Empire Hotel and visiting our lobby bar. I am thrilled you enjoyed your experience and I will be sure to share your review with our team. We look forward to welcoming you back and perhaps enjoy a night or two in one of our spacious and comfortable rooms. Thank you again for the great feedback.

There are newer reviews for Empire Hotel

Reviewed March 24, 2013

This is a wonderful old hotel, updated to modern decor in the perfect location for attending any events at Lincoln Center--it's right across the street! The lobby and public spaces are really cool, and there's a restaurant "chowder house", a bar in the lobby with a mezzanine level of cozy seating, all of which are all very inviting. A Starbucks is next door and other restaurants outside also. There's room service available, a penthouse (seasonal?) pool and other facilities on the top floor, which we did not use. The rooms are spotless but small, with lovely appointments. I would most happily stay here again because the hotel has everything we need for a fair nightly rate; here we don't have to pay a high rate for facilities and services that we are never going to use.

Room Tip: Verify the bedding. We had 2 double beds in our room rather than 2 Queens. We were too tired to as...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank SantaSusanna

Dear SantaSusanna,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review from your recent stay at The Empire Hotel. It is great to see a positive review with detailed feedback from a Trip Advisor Senior Contributor, like yourself. I am glad you had an opportunity to enjoy all of the services and amenities we offer. I hope we have an opportunity to welcome you back soon. The Empire Pool Deck is a perfect place to enjoy a refreshing cocktail in the summer months. I hope to see you there.

Regards,

Reviewed March 23, 2013

I was getting off of work and a friend told me he was at the lobby bar at the hotel. I decided to meet up with him, and I'm very glad I did. I had never bothered to go the the Empire before, and I'll be back.
The bartender- Gerard- was incredible. Friendly, attentive, not overbearing... he was on the drinks and service all night. The manager, Michael, was equally cool.
The lobby is very cool, calm. It's a place I will visit again for a nice evening of cocktails with friends.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends

Dear David T,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience at The Empire Hotel Lobby Bar. It was a pleasure to host you and your colleagues. It is great to hear you enjoyed the calm and cool ambiance and the service of our team. I hope that your first visit will not be your last. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Regards,

Reviewed March 21, 2013

I stayed here for one night. We were upgraded to a two bed room as I was travelling with my friend and we had requested a twin room.

The outside and communal areas of the hotel are excellently furnished. The lobby and bar area are really nice and comfy and the hotel offers free wifi in these areas.

Check in was good and all staff at the hotel were welcoming and friendly.

The room was a bit small. But had everything you need. The bathroom was a little bit tired and a bit small. There was no shower door. The actual rain shower was great. The showers were very refreshing. The bathroom did not feel as clean as other areas and I feel in some ways let down the room overall.

The beds were incredibly comfy and I had an amazing sleep. It was the sort of bed that encompasses you into it. Pillows were possibly the best pillows I've ever slept on.

The room was unbelievably cold, there was a heater in the room but we couldn't figure out how to use it. There was a draft coming in from the window and the windows were just single glazed so did not keep the sound out from the street below. I sleep like a log so once I was comfy in my lovely cosy bed, the sound and cold did not bother me.

I felt overall the room was average and over priced (although) this is New York. There was no real sparkle or anything special. I like a room to make me go wow. This one just made me go ok, this is nice. It has everything a room should have but lacks luxury.

In contrast I really loved the Lobby area, we used the bar and great staff at the bar.

Location is good, times square is walk able and the subway stop Columbus circle goes direct to AirTrain for JFK connection on the A train, which makes it easy to get to.

I wouldn't stay here again. But wouldn't discourage someone from staying here. You'll have a fine stay.

• Stayed: March 2013
2  Thank banana0411
Reviewed March 21, 2013

Having to come to NYC at least once a month since December 2011, I needed to find my spot, a place where I would feel good, away from home. So I checked online and found the Empire Hotel.
With the ABC office (I work for ESPN) 2 blocks from it, this hotel is perfectly located. Rooms are bigger than what you can find in other hotels in the same neighborhood (Upper West Side), and for a better price. Or maybe, I'm just a lucky business traveler who happens to be extremely well rewarded for his loyalty.
Whether it's at the door, the reception desk, the lobby bar, the rooftop bar or the housekeeping people, all staff is extremely polite, helpful and warm.
When I come to the Empire, I love to spend time at the Lobby bar, work on the computer, listen to the music, grab a bite and have a drink. There, everybody's always been very friendly and professional. Special mention to Heather who recognized me after my last trip, four weeks ago, and was able to recall what I usually order. It tells a lot about the service and attention customers can expect here.
To summarize, the Empire Hotel is my place in NYC and I recommend everybody to check it out.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank sdelbecque
Reviewed March 21, 2013

I would like to start with stateing the service I've received over the years has always been wonderful. Not only is location terrific, but its located in a very interesting part of the city. Lots of great resturants, entertainment, shopping, and lets not forget about Central Park!

But the reason for my review today is about a recent stay at this property on March 1st-3rd 2013. I needed to check in before check-in time and the room selection at that time was limited. So I took a moment while taking care of some needed family issues and sent email to hotel in reference to see if they could try to accomadate my needs and get me a room on a higher floor.
Moments after my email request while traveling to University Nursing Home, I received a call from Nicole Agnello (Assistant Director of Front Desk), which she couldnt of been more helpful.
She assured me of my concerns would be addressed. I must say she went beyond her duties and made my stay so nice and relaxing, as well I got a very nice room on 9th floor.

I never write reviews, but this is a much needed way to say "THANK YOU" to Nicole as well as the rest of the staff at the Empire Hotel!!! I look forward to my next stay on April 6th-8th 2013.

Being I'm a New Yorker, but over the last years my business requires I live in Chicago. I would always recommend staying at this property. Lastly if you do stay at this property also stop in Lobby bar where you will also receive great service, and if your hungry you MUST stop at Chowder Bar food is amazing!!!!!! Thanks to everyone at The Empire Hotel!!! Andrew Lyons

Room Tip: All rooms seem to offer something special
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Andrew L
Joseph R, Manager at Empire Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2013

Dear Andrew L,

Thank you for the detailed feedback from your most recent stay at The Empire Hotel. We encourage our guests to share their experience on Trip Advisor and all social media outlets. It is awesome to hear the location of the hotel and all of the amenities and services we offer met your expectations. Our staff loves to be recognized and I will be sure to share your review with our team. We hope to see you soon so that you may experience a refreshing seasonal Spring cocktail in our Lobby Bar or a great meal at Ed’s Chowder House.

Reviewed March 20, 2013

I have just returned from my second stay at the Empire Hotel and it was even better than my first visit. As many others have said it has a great location but it is also different to many New York hotels because the ambience is warm and friendly. I was welcomed back by staff who remembered me from my first visit. All staff are professional and helpful, from the men at the front entrance to the housekeeping staff on the Fifth Floor. In particular, Mariana at Reception, Yuri at the Concierge Desk and Gerard, Mike and Frank in the Lobby Bar all provided exceptional service. If you like a sweet cocktail then I suggest an XOXO or two!
The rooms are stylish but some rooms are quite small, however if you are lucky enough to get a larger room with a view over Dante Park you really feel like you are a New Yorker.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo