“Trendy hotel, Great Location”
Review of Empire Hotel

Empire Hotel
Ranked #308 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Texas
“Trendy hotel, Great Location”
Reviewed January 27, 2013

My wife and I stayed here in December 2012. Great location for easy access to the Upper West Side, Times Square and subway stations.

The hotel was very trendy with a rooftop bar that attracted long lines of visitors each weekend night. This was not a problem for hotel guests as you could walk right by them to get in and even get quick access to the roof if you wanted to see Central Park and the UWS.

The hotel room was small, but we booked on expedia so that was expected. The odd smells in the hallway were not expected. It may have been a neighboring room, but the smell dissipated after a couple days. The small room was reminiscent of many European hotel rooms. There's just enough room to walk around the bed and a bathroom with enough person for one room to stand up. But, the room was quiet and the ac/heat worked great.

Everything we asked for or needed from the front desk was quickly provided. Plus there were free apples at the front desk. This is a great treat. And the bar area is trendy and a great place to hang out before going out or heading to the room.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (970)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
private
Reviewed January 27, 2013

This is similar to most city hotels. The staff are really friendly, the hotel and rooms compact and very tidy and the bar a bit pricey. You're not in the UK so don't expect to take home loads of tea and coffee sachets, because they don't provide it. As during our other stays though it worked to our advantage. We were there for a busy sight seeing trip so no coffee in bed meant we were up and out to get breakfast in the city. There was a really nice pub/restaurant next door by the way. My only grumble with this hotel was the noise. We were on the 8th floor and, I think, the back of the building. Even with the window closed I could hear the rumble of the air conditioning units on the ground below. The air con in the room was also too noisy for me to have on at night so it was a bit of a catch 22. I'm a light sleeper and to be fair it wasn't a problem at all for my wife who can sleep through a war.

Dear Big C,

Thank you for the detailed review from your recent stay at The Empire. It is great to see that your enjoyed your time with us and room cleanliness and friendliness of our staff met your expectations. I apologize that the room was slightly noisy. The next time you visit, we will be sure to block a quieter room for you and your wife. I sincerely hope we have an opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Northport, New York
Reviewed January 27, 2013

The Empire Hotel is an amazing place for a NYC getaway. Awesome location with views of Lincoln Center. Love the neighborhood feel .... Walking around Columbus Avenue with great shopping and restaurants. Stroll through Central Park! The lobby has a great vibe and the staff was attentive from front door to front desk and housekeeping. Don't miss the fabulous brunch at the restaurant! We will be back !

1 Thank Momma4x
Cooperstown, New York
Reviewed January 26, 2013

We had an incredible time in NEw York City and The Empire Hotel was the perfect place to stay. The location was great, the staff was very helpful, both the lobby and rooftop bars were very cool. It was beautiful to see the fountain at Lincoln Center from our room. We will definitely stay at the Empire Hotel next time we are in the City.

1 Thank C L
Dear C L,

Thank you for the review from your most recent stay at The Empire Hotel. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed the comfort and view of your room and had the opportunity to enjoy the Lobby Bar and Empire Rooftop. If you should ever need a contact at The Empire, do not hesitate to contact me directly at jrauer@empirehotelnyc.com. I look forward to welcoming you back the next time your travels bring you to New York.

Miami, FL
Reviewed January 26, 2013

We stayed at the Empire hotel for one night and had a great time. It is a perfect location if you are going to the opera, right next to the Lincoln center.
We checked in early and we were immediately upgraded to a room facing the Lincoln center. The room size was pretty spacious, considering NY standards, and nicely decorated. The staff was very friendly and helpful and went out of their way to make our stay a pleasant one. There is no free wifi in the room, only in the hotel lobby, so we had a pay additionally for Internet.
We ate pre theater dinner at the Chowder Room, which was very nice. We also had breakfast included at the Chowder Room, which was buffet style and very average.
Overall, we would stay at the Empire hotel again when visiting the Lincoln Center.

1 Thank 1980angrybird
Hudson Valley, NY
Reviewed January 24, 2013

I probably shouldn't complain about this hotel because I got a really good deal on Hotwire. That being said, if I had to pay full price for what I got I'd be quite unhappy. My husband and i just spent 2 nights at The Empire so it's all fresh in my mind. Check -in was a snap, lobby and bar scene is nice, decor in general modern and edgy. Our room was a standard with 2 double beds (with Hotwire you don't really have a choice of beds. You take what they give you). It was small, very small. And upon entering we realized right away the heat wasn't working (not good when the outside temp was about 17 degrees) . We put a call in right away and they said they would take care of it. And they did. Then we checked out the bathroom. It was tiny. Barely one
person could move around in it. When you opened the door it missed hitting the toilet by about 1 inch.. The sink was a very shallow vessel sink so water got all over the floor. There was very little space to hang towels and no counter space (none) for makeup or toiletries. There were a few small shelves over the toilet so we had to make sure the toilet seat was always down so nothing from the shelves fell in. There were no wash cloths and only one glass. Another problem was the shower door. There was no door. I have had this problem other places and in my opinion, it just doesn't work...... There was a glass partition that only came across part of the shower. Bathroom designers, listen up. Water always gets on the floor with a set up like this. I don't know what the other standard rooms are like but I would hope there are better options. The location is perfect for
Lincoln Center, subway and Columbus Circle. The staff was nice and efficient and they did take care of the heating problem (and we did get washcloths.) But because of the size of the room and the total ineptness of the bathroom, I would not stay here again if this was the only room option I had.

Dear HudsonValleyMama,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at The Empire Hotel. I appreciate your candid feedback and detailed review. I am happy you enjoyed your overall experience but disappointed you were not completely satisfied with the size of your room. At The Empire, we have various room categories with different layouts designed to meet the needs of our guests. I hope we have an opportunity to welcome you back so that you may experience another room option. I am confident your next experience will be a positive one. Thank you for staying at The Empire.

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed January 24, 2013

The service at the Empire Hotel was top notch during my visit. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful, no matter what kind of question or request I made put to them. I would highly recommend staying at the Empire Hotel if you plan on staying for any length of time in New York City!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Peter C
Joseph R, Manager at Empire Hotel, responded to this review, January 26, 2013
Dear Peter C,

Thank you for the kind words in your review of The Empire Hotel. We appreciate you taking the time to recognize our staff in your feedback. I will be sure to share your comments with our team. We hope to welcome you back to The Empire the next time your travels bring you to New York. In the meantime, thank you for recommending us to your colleagues and friends.

Regards,