“Nice Hotel but Dark” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #315 of 467 Hotels in New York City
cambridge
“Nice Hotel but Dark”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2013 via mobile

Stayed in the hotel over Christmas, the staff were very good very quick to help. The room was small but I understand that is the norm for New York. The hole place is a bit on the dark side I think that they go a bit far with the mood lighting. Wifi is a bit if a issue there is free wifi in the lobby or you have to pay for it. But if you are lucky your room will be close to the Lincoln Center and you can pick up there free wifi. The mini bar is well stocked but it is not cheap and there is a shop just out side the hotel so there is no real need to use any thing from the mini bar. There is no tea or coffee in the room but again there is a Starbucks just out side the hotel (and on ever street corner or seems like it). There is a hair dryer and a umbrella in the room. In all it was a good stay in a very good location and I would stay there again.

Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (957)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2013

This was our second stay at this hotel. We should have learnt from our last stay not to stay here again. Never ever again. If you're hoping to get some (if any) sleep, forget about it. The first time we stayed here we had a room just under their rooftop club, and heard the music, and stomping of feet/dancing most of the night. This time, we asked for a room on a lower level to avoid the noise, however we were kept up all night due to road works - surely this is something that should be disclosed!? Now add hotel staff walking around 24/7 with loud walkie talkies, and you can imagine how little sleep we managed to get. I literally hate this hotel. They should have closed down when Gossip Girl did!

Room Tip: If you are going to stay here, ask for a room that's away from the noise of their rooftop bar.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Boozool
Joseph R, Manager at Empire Hotel, responded to this review, January 19, 2013
Dear Boozool,

Thank you for taking the time to review your most recent stay at The Empire. As Assistant General Manager, I am disappointed that you did not have a positive experience. Please accept my sincerest apologies for the noise inconvenience. Kindly contact me at jrauer@empirehotelnyc.com or the number below to discuss your experience further. I would like the opportunity to welcome you back so you may experience the service our team strives to provide at The Empire.

Joseph Rauer
Assistant General Manager
(212) 265-7400 ext. 7343

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

Bristol, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013

Booked this through a discount site so reckon it was charged at a more reasonable rate than the daily charge . The location was everything you would need to explore NYC , the place itself I'd describe as jaded . Whilst appreciating the wood panelling and darkly featured wall coverings my partner described the lobby as dark and gloomy. The room was one of the smallest I have ever found in a hotel with very little floor space alongside the double bed , limited storage and a mini bathroom . The heating / AC was difficult to control . The booking held out the promise of Wifi (a must in NY ) , that unfortunately incurred an additional daily charge.
The rooftop pool offered a pleasing night time vista - but a word of warning - the pool was not tiled but rather had a " sticky back plastic " type material as its surface . This caused a particular problem when I slipped on the wet steps entering the pool.

Room Tip: Ask to look at the size of it before you commit ! If you are happy to spend 10 hours exploring the...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2013

I'm not usually one to do a big celebration for NYE so when friends asked if I wanted to go to the Empire Hotel for the night I was a bit hesitant. Eventually I gave and I'm really glad I did. It was one of the best New Year's Eve nights I have had in a LONG time.

Not only is the hotel gorgeous but it was the perfect majestic setting to bring in the new year. There was no disorganized mess of people not being able to get drinks. It was an amazingly well orchestrated operation. The servers and bartenders were great and very attentive to each of the guests, the photo booth on the second level was a great idea (loved it), the music was amazing and the champagne toast at midnight was a great gesture. But the stars for the show were Aaron and Gabriel. They made it a point to ensure that each and every single guest felt welcome and was tended to. Their good spirit and positive attitude is one for the books and I truly congratulate you for having such great people representing the hotel.

I wish other hotels were more like the Empire when it comes to their level of hospitality and professionalism.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Kirkcaldy, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2013

Superb location. Lincoln Center, 66th St subway and Columbus nearby. Rooms are very small and heating is always on even when it is not required, had to regulate by opening window which is not ideal when outside temperatures were low.Very little storage inside the room, nowhere to put our cases, we had to rearrange the furniture to put them out of our way. Some nice restaurants close by, J Clarks & The Smith, Starbucks as well. Ed's Chowder house inside the hotel is good but a bit pricey, $90 for 2 breakfasts. Lunch menu is better for value. Staff are very nice and helpful, the hotel was really busy with it being New Year. Main areas are tired and dimly lit, lighting in the rooms is not great either.

Room Tip: We tried to upgrade to a bigger room but hotel was full.Staff said that they get a lot of requests l...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Blackpool, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2013

My Girlfriend and I stayed at the Empire for 6 nights from 28/11/2012 leaving on 04/12/2012. It was recommended to us by our travel operator and after his recommendation and looking at the hotel's official website we were satisfied that we made the right choice.
The holiday was booked seven months in advance and it was to be a special trip with me planning to propose to my Girlfriend whilst in New York. Two months prior to the start of the holiday I emailed the Empire explaining that it was to be a special holiday with me planning to propose and would it be possible to stay in a room with a view. A small fortune was paid for the holiday and I was certain that surely this request would be met due to the cost of our stay and the reasons behind it.
Our first impressions of the Empire would good, the hotel lobby is impressive in decor although it all started to go rapidly downhill due to the nonchalant and uncaring attitude the receptionist had towards us. First of all we were informed our room was on the tenth floor and we were instructed were the elevators were. Not once were we offered help with our luggage. I was flabbergasted; surely a hotel marketing itself in such a way as the Empire does would pride itself on its customer service??!!
Upon entering the room I was hoping that the request I had made two months earlier with regards to a room with a view would be met. How wrong was I!
To say the room was small would be an understatement and the view the window offered of the hotel’s air conditioning units was not the one I was hoping for. I immediately returned to reception and explained that I was not happy with the room and were they in receipt of my original request. The same receptionist again with his uncaring attitude explained that they had received my request however if it was a view I was after I would have to upgrade my room at an additional cost of $70 per evening. I was unwilling to do this as due to the cost of our stay I was of the opinion that we had paid more than enough. I walked away from the reception very disappointed.
Throughout our stay at the Empire I have to say that upon our return to our very small room each evening both the bedroom and bathroom had been cleaned to a high standard.
My partner and I had a wonderful time in New York City and she even agreed to my proposal making me very happy indeed.
The staff of the Empire knew of my holiday plans two months prior to our holiday and despite this and the engagement congratulation cards from family I had been carrying in my case that were on display in our room the hotel staff not once offered any sort of congratulations. Even a small note left in the room would have been a nice touch, I wasn’t expecting any more than that. This again left me very disappointed as the service received from the hotel I found to be very cold and uncaring. As a result of this I stayed clear of the hotel bar and it’s ridiculously overpriced adjacent restaurant (Ed’s Chowder House) as I felt they did not deserve our custom.
Upon checking out of the Empire and waiting patiently in the queue we were again treated in a wholly uncaring and unsatisfactory way.
My fiancé and I were the next persons to be seen to and we were aware of a male stood behind us. There appeared to be only one staff member manning reception and out of the side office another employee emerged. He looked at the queue and after recognising the male stood behind us he beckoned him to reception. I t would seem that he either knew the male personally and/or he was a regular customer of the Empire. We watched in disbelief as not only had we been completely ignored the male was fussed over a lot more than we had in our complete stay. The male was even told to leave his bags at reception and they would be sent to his room, now if only we had received this level of service this review would be much better. The staff member after fussing over the male so much that returned to the office leaving us to wait even longer!
Our stay at the Empire was the only downside and major disappointment to what was a memorable and magical holiday in NYC and one we will never forget.
The Empire in my opinion needs to concentrate on vastly improving its customer service to all of its customers not just the regulars. It seems to have a very pretentious attitude with regards to itself and believes it to be better that what it actually is. The Empire seems to market itself as an up and coming hotel and prides its self on the young crowd it attracts to its lobby bar and roof top terrace. My partner and I are only in our mid-twenties our selfs and suffice to say we left the hotel very disappointed distinctly unimpressed.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Colin A
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

This hotel is in a great location for the mid to mature traveller. Lincoln Center and Columbus Circle are nearby. There are several nice restaurants to dine at within walking distance of the Empire and let's not forget a Strabucks on the same block. My only qualm is that the beds are not conducive to a great night's sleep. My star rating goes to a lobby desk staffperson by the name of Gunita. She provided a level of service that left me saying thank you to her! For my anniversary, she sent me a note of well wishes. Now that isn't just customer service but 100% customer care!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple