“Rough Stay”
Review of Empire Hotel

Empire Hotel
Ranked #343 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed December 3, 2012

I had a recent multi-night stay here at the Empire, my first stay at this property. A frequent mid-town Manhattan visitor, I often stay in a variety of properties, wherever my company places me. For the first night, I was placed in a smoking room, despite my request online for a non-smoking room. (Note: 4th floor is smoking floor.) I was told the hotel was sold out and I couldn't be moved until the next day. I left my bags packed and they reassigned me to another room the next day.

Once I returned to my new room late the second evening, I discovered that the heater/AC was defective and would bang and clank whenever it was operating. I reported it to the front desk, but since it was after 11pm, I opted for them to send maintenance the next day and I unplugged the unit instead.

Returning to the room on the third night, I discovered that they hadn't sent maintenance during the day as promised and the problem persisted. Upon checkout, I complained and was offered a mere $75 credit for my troubles, even though my nightly rate was $300. I refused and got twice the initial credit, but was insulted. In fact, they said that they don't "guarantee" non-smoking rooms as requested, the first time I had heard that of any NYC property.

Other notes: restaurant was good, rooftop bar has decent views, be wary of construction outside in the street. It starts early and is loud!

I will not be staying here again.

Room Tip: 4th floor is smoking floor. Don't stay on that floor unless you are ok with smoke and smells.
There are newer reviews for Empire Hotel

Reviewed December 3, 2012

We were over the moon when we were able to book this hotel on Priceline for less than $300 a night during the holiday season. The building is grand, directly across the street from Lincoln Center,and steps from the subway. The decor is beautiful. The rooms are nice (and standard size for NYC). The staff is efficient and professional. There is also a nice lobby level bar with seating on two floors and a very happening roof top club (lines around the corner well into the night).

I really wanted to love this hotel.

If only someone had paid as much attention to the sound proofing as they did the decor.

We checked in on a Thursday. We were given a room on the first floor (one up from the lobby). At 3:30 am Friday morning, I just couldn't stand it anymore. The street sweepers, sanitation trucks, and some strange metal scraping sound permeated the room - earplugs did nothing. I can now say without doubt that New York recycles because I heard every can and bottle as it was dumped into the truck. The desk staff was very apologetic and moved our belongings into a nicer room on the seventh floor by the time we returned to the hotel on Friday evening. The seventh floor proved to be much quieter Friday night. Too bad it did not last.

Saturday evening was bad. A guest at the club became upset and proceeded to park his car in front of the hotel - and honk his horn for over an hour (at 3 AM)- until the hotel FINALLY called the police. When the police arrived, it was though they were having a conversation with the unhappy club goer at the foot of our bed.

So, to sum up our review. Looks and location get an A++, soundproofing gets an F. If hotel management reads this - Please invest in better windows and some soundproofing! You will have much happier (and repeat) guests. The rest is just lipstick without sleep.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 7th-9th floor are a safer bet (the 11th floor is a club) and if sleep is more important...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 2, 2012 via mobile

If it weren't for the ridiculous bathrooms, this would be a very good place to stay IF you get a standard room for under $200. However, due to a "safety issue" (I asked), half the shower door has been removed in all bathrooms and as a result, the entire small bathroom gets completely soaked, and I mean soaked, when you take a shower. Won't stay here again knowing that I have to spend ten minutes mopping up the lake that forms after every shower.

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed December 1, 2012

This was a pretty neat hotel and it had a club on the top floor that was really hopping on the weekend on Saturday night. Subway was really close and the concierges were very helpful and many places right around the corner to eat and a short walk to central park!!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 1, 2012

The Empire Hotel is a good hotel, in a good location. The public interiors are quite heavy and dark but sexy, and the animal print soft furnishings may need a re-think, however the bar area is always buzzing - mainly because the hotel is opposite the opera. The rooms are of a good size with neutral tones, but the open wardrobe space with only 3 hangar space is not ideal. The fitness area was the biggest let down and needs an update asap, as the amount of equipment does not suffice to a hotel of this size. If you want to stay uptown you could do a lost worse than staying at the Empire however be prepared for long taxi rides downtown with drivers often hesitant to drive all the way back to Lincoln Sq.

Reviewed December 1, 2012

We have just left this hotel after staying for 3 nights and i felt compelled to warn other people to stay away. I rarely review hotels on trip advisor. The place is dirty, i questioned if the room had been cleaned before we arrived (shampoo in shower half use etc). The staff are rude and super unhelpful and just tell you anything you want to hear so that you stop asking questions. The one plus side was the hotel restaurant where the staff were actually polite and service was great.
There are so many amazing hotels in New York to stay, i would recommend that anyone traveling here keep looking when you come across this place.

Reviewed November 29, 2012

Very nice hotel in a very great location. Rooms are small but very nice and useful. The Staff is very nice, friendly and helpful, especially the concierge. We loved it and would come back. Central Park and Times Square are just a few blocks away. We got fresh apples every day, they were placed on the counter. What a nice idea. Thank you.

Room Tip: Ask for a room "with a view". So you can see the Central Park and the life in New Yorks St...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple