“Terrific location for Kennedy Center”
Review of Empire Hotel

Empire Hotel
Ranked #311 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Lewes, United Kingdom
“Terrific location for Kennedy Center”
Reviewed November 13, 2012

Dark foyer with loud music. We immediately felt 'too old' for the clientele. The decor is entirely brown, incuding the corridors and the rooms so you feel as if you're in a 70s B film. However, the bed was comfortable and the room offered everything we needed. You can't get a better position for outtings to the Kennedy Center; the hotel is on the doorstep. There is a nightclub downstairs with lineups down the street in the evening; a little off-putting for non-clubbers like ourselves.I try hard to find somewhere else when we go up to New York.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (977)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed November 12, 2012 via mobile

We stayed for 10 nights in June. And loved every minute.
The hotel is in a great location, only a 10 min walk to Times Square and is really beautiful.
The room was nice but quite cramped. You had to step into the shower in order to close the bathroom door if you needed to go to the toilet.
We were also incorrectly charged $9 for a bottle of water. What the?? But the staff were happy to rectify this when we approached the desk.
It is a lovely place to stay, and upon looking at the floor plan we realised we had been placed in the smallest room on the floor.
We loved it for our first visit but when we go back we will probably look for somewhere that can fit us, our two suitcases and without a struggle to go to the toilet in peace.

• Stayed June 2012
London
Reviewed November 12, 2012

We stayed here for 4 nights in September when we attended NYC fashion week (not as models!). It was an excellent location but don't expect to find using the lifts easy as we often had to wait FIVE minutes for a lift - I know the hotel was full because of fashion week but it was pretty ridiculous. And I don't mind walking downstairs so long as they are well signposted and you don't have to walk through a laundry area/service area to get out into the lobby.

Nothing special, but a good location. The bar was nice - and they had no qualms about swapping a glass of champagne when I thought it was flat which was good of them.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BAStravellers
Stony Brook, New York
Reviewed November 11, 2012

The only thing this hotel has going for it is its proximity to Lincoln Center and its fashionable lobby. Aside from that, the rooms are cramped, the staff is amateurish and the management is incompetent.

We stayed at the hotel on Saturday 11/10 and checked out on Sunday 11/11. On neither day were the elevators working. Three times I had to traverse 11 flights of stairs. How do you run a hotel in NYC without a working elevator? The man who claimed to be the manager was rude and disinterested in hearing complaints from guests as they checked out. I don't know if anyone else was compensated, but we weren't.

Clearly security is also an issue at this hotel, as there is some sort of ghetto gangsta club on the roof which leads to a lot of drunk people lurking the halls at night.

I was expecting much more for a $400 a night hotel in Lincoln Center. I really should have heeded the warnings on Trip Advisor before booking here. It's a real shame, because it is literally across the street from Lincoln Center.

On a positive note, breakfast at the restaurant (The Chowder House)was decent.

Room Tip: Stay at a different hotel.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ShawnClap

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed November 10, 2012

Hotel is OK and lobby is actually very nice BUT the hotel rooms defy description for smallness of size...2 people can barely fit inside (with one person it's crowded)...I've seen small hotel rooms in Europe BUT these are smaller than anything there...you'll be shocked...if you are attending Lincoln Center this hotel is great...we got a deal on HotWire...if I paid full price I'd be very angry.

Room Tip: Ask about room size when you book...I'd suggest a diet otherwise.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Orange, CT
Reviewed November 8, 2012

I travel a lot and go into the city multiple times a year. This was my first and last time I stay at the Empire. My friend and I stayed for one night. The lobby was very nice. The elevators were efficient. The hotel was overall clean. The rooms are small but that is what most expect in NYC. I chose this hotel because it was only 3 blocks away from The View where we had tickets the next morning. We stayed in room 931. We had 2 full size beds. I am sure that made the room feel tighter than if we only had a single bed. The beds were satisfactory but certainly didn't make you say "ahh". Besides the room being so small, the bathroom was the bigger disappointment. The drain in the sink filled and had a slow drain every time you used it. It was small and shallow so the slow drain made it fill and was pretty gross when you where brushing your teeth! There wasn't a door on the shower (not a huge deal). My friend took a shower first. She couldn't believe not only were we given one wash clothe but the drain was clogged in he shower too! We couldn't call the front desk because we didn't have the time for it to be fixed. I had to get in her dirty water and shower. The water was about to go over so I had to cut my shower short. I was not happy. We had told the clerk at check out. She said she was sorry. We had $36 worth of incidentals. She said she couldn't take that off our bill for our inconvenience because we booked through expedia. Further, she would not allow my friend and I to split the room on our credit cards because again, it was booked on Expedia. She did give us a couple of breakfast coupons but we told her we were unable to use them because of our time constraint. She did not care. I have stayed at many other places in the city. I would not stay again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Renee_knows_best
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 8, 2012

Awful hotel. Awful staff. Noisy, tiny rooms. Poor security. Dreadful wifi.
We were staying at The Empire when Sandy hit, and the staff COULD NOT COPE. No communication, little assistance.
Do not stay at this hotel, unless you enjoy arguing with front desk everyday. Seems like since they've been a filming location for Gossip Girl, they've forgotten all about hospitality.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank p0cketr0cket77
Joseph R, Manager at Empire Hotel, responded to this review, November 10, 2012
Dear p0cketr0cket77,

Thank you for your feedback from your recent stay at The Empire during Hurricane Sandy. During the storm we were fortunate to have experienced minimal interruptions to our operation. We were fully staffed and able to provide security, comfort and safety for our guests. I apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced as our team did their very best to provide service and communication despite the extraordinary circumstances. Please do not hesitate to contact me at jrauer@empirehotelnyc.com if you would like to share your experience in further detail. There are always learning opportunities after working through unique situations. Thank you for staying at The Empire.

Joseph Rauer