“Location perfect but the rest not”
Review of Empire Hotel

Empire Hotel
Ranked #340 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed October 24, 2012

The Empire is next to Lincoln Centre and near Central Park and Columbus Circle. Thus a very good location for music and operalovers. The hotel is rated 4 stars but is in our view more towards 3 stars. Dark small rooms. Filthy dark corridors. Non functioning elevators. Expensive breakfast, $35, but definitely not worth it. So most guests went to Starbuck in the same house. No free wi-fi in the rooms,$12 per day. However, sometimes it was available free in the lobby and of course always perfect at Starbuck´s. Hopeless reception which charged incidentials incorrectly to wrong rooms which caused a lot of anger and efforts for the guests. The bar was OK.

3  Thank FredrikHenry
There are newer reviews for Empire Hotel

Reviewed October 23, 2012

The location is lovely and convenient and the doorman / bellman upon check in was helpful and polite - and that's really all I can say positive about this place. The front desk clerks were mildly competent if slow and a bit clueless, but the concierge was rude and unhelpful, which is really the opposite of what I imagine to be his job description. So, the weirdness: no top sheet. None. I've never had this in North America, and I do really like one, so I asked for it to be done, but when we got back that evening, nothing. So I called housekeeping and the guy came up with a duvet cover for me. Close enough, I guess. Now, the problem: 4 elevators, 2 of which were never in service when I was trying to use them, and 1 of which was frequently down. And the noise of the elevators! Scary. The stairs lead through a service area, but they work! Speaking of noise, the windows are not double glazed and the street cleaning at 3AM is quite audible, as are the evening and morning traffic sounds. If I were attending something at Lincoln Center, I would consider if the Priceline price were right, but I would not pay rack for this place.

Room Tip: Ask for the upgrade to a large room
1  Thank Geoffrey E
Joseph R, Manager at Empire Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2012

Dear Geoffrey1969,

Thank you for sharing the details of your most recent stay at The Empire. I sincerely apologize for the inconsistencies in service and noise issue you experienced during your stay with us. I can assure you this is not the norm for our guests. I have shared your comments with our hotel Executive Team and will use your feedback to improve the product and service we offer. If you would like to discuss your experience further, please do not hesitate to contact me at jrauer@empirehotelnyc.com.

I sincerely hope we have an opportunity to welcome you back to The Empire so that we may regain your confidence in our hotel.

Reviewed October 23, 2012

Stayed at the Empire for 7 nights on my Honeymoon two weeks ago. Overall we enjoyed our stay although I was disappointed that the hotel did nothing to make our stay extra special despite being aware it was our Honeymoon, I don't necessarily mean a free upgrade but just something to show they appreciated us choosing the Empire for such an important holiday! Apart from a half-hearted congratulations for the front desk on check -in the hotel did nothing else. We picked the Empire after lots of research and heard that they treated you really well but we did not fell that while we were there.

Also, we were given a front facing room with a great view of the Lincoln Center but were not informed that there was road works going on in front of the hotel and were awoken at 7am every morning by loud drilling that continued for over an hour. We asked to move rooms after the first three mornings but were told no rooms were available. Fortunately the drilling stopped after day 4.

So overall not bad but not as good as we had hoped.

Room Tip: Front facing rooms on the lower floors can be noisy. Need to install double glazed windows!
Reviewed October 23, 2012

As a new yorker this is one of my favorite hotels to stay at for a mini-staycation. Stayed here with my boyfriend twice already and have no major complaints.

Pros:
Location: Right by Lincoln Center and across the street from awesome restaurants. Eat at Cafe Fiorello if you get a chance. The hotel will help you make a reservation there and if it's on the weekend make sure you make the reservations early! There's also a Duane Reade on the same block for ANYTHING else you may need.
Bars: There's a bar in the lobby which is awesome and the area around is very lounge like. There is also a rooftop lounge/club which hotel guests get to have access to without standing on line outside. Line usually gets ridiculous on a Friday and Saturday night.
Staff: All the staff at the hotel is super friendly. Nicole was very welcoming and helped us check in. She made suggestions for dinner and went out of her way to assure we had a great stay. We had mentioned to her that it was our anniversary during check-in and were surprised by a bottle of champagne upon arriving at our room. AWESOME.

Cons:
Elevators: Extremely slow. Sometimes you have to wait a couple of minutes for one to get there.
Rooms: There was nothing particularly wrong with the rooms. We had a junior suite. Beds were super comfortable. I just think the rooms can use a little re-touching.

Overall very satisfied with this hotel. Definitely returning again!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 19, 2012

I could write a book about all that went wrong with my wedding. Two things went right: my groom and choosing to do business with [Michelle] at The Empire Hotel. Aside from the beautiful aesthetics of this chic boutique hotel and VERY reasonable rates, the word "accommodation" meant much more than the stay. My husband stayed in the King Suite [beautiful and spacious] with his family on the eve of the big day. Congratulatory champagne and chocolate-covered strawberries were a wonderful surprise and the added attention to detail the staff at this hotel provides. Although the limo (yes, the hotel has a full fleet!) wasn't picking them up until 3, Michelle arranged for them to stay past the noon check-out time despite being booked and needing the room. We've also stayed there several times in the past and each stay has been pleasurable. This was why we chose the Empire for our family and guests. When in Rome...er, New York, why be one Roman when you can have an "Empire?!"

Room Tip: The King Suite is beautiful. Wonderful views.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Pretamangerstx
Joseph R, Manager at Empire Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2012

Dear adelline67,

Thank you for taking the time to review your most recent stay on Trip Advisor. We are honored and proud that you chose The Empire to host your family and friends during your wedding celebration. Thank you also for mentioning Conference Service Manager, Michelle Lu in your comments.

We wish you and your husband all of the happiness and success life has to offer and look forward to welcoming you back to The Empire in the near future!

Regards,

Reviewed October 19, 2012

A unique hotel. Excellent service. Room upgrade to a King suite was a nice surprise. Nice lobey bar with relaxing atmosphere. Needed some room items and were delivered within 10 minutes. We enjoyed staying at this West side hotel. Second floor lobby was relaxing as well.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank tunisbridal
Reviewed October 18, 2012

I really like staying at the Empire. It's a bit of boutique chic right across the road from The Met Opera. You can't beat the location. I must admit that I've only stayed there through Priceline but, I always got a fabulous deal, the room is petite but they have never yet tossed me into some musty cockroach-infected bargain basement room like most other Priceline "deal" hotels.

It's SO good to roll across the road to a comfortable bed after a great opera.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PJ F
Joseph R, Manager at Empire Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 20, 2012

Dear PJF,

Thank you for posting a review of The Empire on Trip Advisor. I am happy you enjoyed our comfortable beds and location of the hotel. look forward to welcoming you back to The Empire the next time you come into NYC to experience the Opera.

Regards,