“Bang, bang, bang in the mornings, slam, slam, slam went the doors”
Review of Empire Hotel

Empire Hotel
Ranked #308 of 467 Hotels in New York City
New England
“Bang, bang, bang in the mornings, slam, slam, slam went the doors”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Not a bad hotel, but there were some problems. We stayed here one busy Friday night, which was enough. I think we stayed on what was a pretty busy weekend for them.

The hotel lobby was very stylish, and featured a trendy bar. Hotel was located right across from the Met, so it's a good location if that is of interest. My favorite part of the hotel was the pool bar that was on the roof. I had heard that the rooftop bar (separate from the pool bar, but just one floor down and easily visible from the pool bar/patio) had a dress requirement (no t-shirts/sneakers) but we saw lots of people in t-shirts, shorts and flip-flops who got in anyway.

By far the worst part of the stay was the door slams in the morning. Granted this happens with every hotel, but there is something with their doors that that causes them slam automatically. I tried to shut our door quietly, but it slams shut inevitably. They really should address this. We checked out around 12 (after a late night out), but beginning around 7:30 a.m. we continually heard loud door slamming from departing guests what seemed like every 10 - 15 minutes until about 11 am.

Our room was stylish, but beginning to see signs of wear. The furniture was badly scratched in some area. The bed was hard, but we slept well on it (at least until the slamming started in the morning.) Additionally, there was an ice bucket that was left outside of our room from the last guest and was never replaced. The ice bucket was there from the time we checked in (around 4pm) until the time we left the next day at Noon.

Also, we were just getting ready to leave the room (it was 12 Noon on the dot), and the maid opens the door without knocking to ask us if we were checking out soon - granted it was check out time, but it was 12:00 exactly, and she opened the door despite the "do not disturb" sign on the door.

We weren't lucky enough to have an "outside" room, so our room looked out onto the inside exhaust system of the hotel. However the room was fairly large for NYC standards.

It would have been a much nicer stay except for the door slams - I can't recomend staying at this hotel for that problem alone.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (969)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 3, 2012

Very nice hotel, good location for Central Park and the underground. Nice roof top bar/pool and Ed's Chowder house, great seafood!! We really enjoyed it and loved staying at the Empire, clean, trendy and friendly staff! My only down point would be that the rooms are very small, but I have been told most hotel rooms in NYC are small. Would I stay at the Empire again?? YES!!

Room Tip: Try and go for an upgrade, rooms are very small!!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed September 1, 2012

We stayed 4 nights at the Empire and enjoyed our stay. We did lots of walking and found it easy to walk to and from Times Square and surrounds both day and night, but there are a few subway stations around the hotel that will also get you to places easily. Decor is lovely. We didn't spend much time in the pool area or bar but both seemed to have nice atmospheres.

The few things we found (stopping the hotel receiving 5 stars) are minor but worth advising:
- I didnt have a key one day when returning from sightseeing (as left it with hubby) so I asked the front desk for a key, I was given one with no id check etc. I felt a little uncomfortable that it was this easy to get into a room.
- The rooms are small but understand this is NYC thing - just be prepared for little room
- The shower does not have a full closing door so its easy for water to drench the floor - be careful

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed August 31, 2012

First off I have to say- after reading some really terrible reviews on this hotel I was scared of what to expect when we'd get there. But to my surprise, everything went smoothly.

We arrived on a Monday- check in says 3pm and we got there around 12:30. So we were worried that we'd have to walk around and waste time until we could check in. Maggie at the front desk let us know that our room was ready for us! And she was super nice :) All the staff were. From the door men, to the reception to the concierge!

Our room was a standard queen room. Nothing special, nor was it really big. But hey, it's New York- you can't expect to get a huge room! I LOVED the decor of the room and the overall hotel. VERY trending.

The room was kept very clean thanks to the wonderful housekeeping. I wish we had a better view- but I am sure you can always ask to upgrade to a better view. We didn't go see the gym or the pool- just no time. We did go up to the roof top bar- which sucked. We got two drinks that came up to $26. WTF? And the "roof" was closed so you couldn't see the view of the city. So don't waste your time going up there at night. Might be better early on in the evening. Also- we went on a Tuesday night- so maybe it's better on a Friday or Saturday night.

My favorite part of the hotel was the location. It's close enough that you can walk anywhere! Central Park is right next door. It's a close walk (maybe 15 mins or so) to Times Square, and there's a cute little mall at Columbus Circle. It's also close to the 59th Subway station which has a train ( the "D" line) that takes you right to Yankee Stadium!

I'd recommend this hotel to anyone :)

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
Reviewed August 28, 2012

Great hotel! Great location - just on the edge of Columbus Circle and Upper Westside. Hotel is clean and felt new. The rooms are small but it is NYC and it was Christmastime - why would you spend too much time in the room:) The staff is great! Chris, the concierge, was so helpful especially checkout day when they held my fur coat behind the front desk instead of making me put in baggage check. Would recommend for sure - in fact going back this Christmas.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Glens Falls, New York
Reviewed August 27, 2012

A group of us stayed at the Empire Hotel for a bachelorette party two weeks ago. We were delighted by the hotel and it's location but were not thrilled with the staff and service. Two of our three rooms were ready but the third still had to be inspected. We are not very fussy so we went and had some lunch while we waited the "thirty minutes" until our room was ready. We went back about an hour later and the room still was not ready. Our group (16 girls) went to the rooftop deck/bar for some evening drinks before we had an appointment. We were horrified by the drink prices: $17/drink and $42 for a bucket of Coronas (gratuity included). If you are coming for the pool, you will be sorely dissapointed. The deck was beautiful and the view was unbelievable but the pool is tiny! Not nearly as big as it looks on the website.

The rooms were very clean but VERY tiny. Sharing a tiny room with 4 or 5 girls is definitely not easy- I imagine two people would have been difficult as well.

Before dinner one night, all 16 of us decided to have some appetizers in the lobby bar. The waitress was INCREDIBLY rude and snotty to us. You would think that she would be nicer to a group of 16 people that were ordering 5+ appetizers and drinks.

The last day, while checking out, was the most dissapointing part. We had to put a credit card down when checking in and were told that we could use a different card upon checkout. The hotel charged our original credit card for all three rooms and told us we couldn't use a different card. We also had bar charges from the pool deck on our rooms that were paid off at the pool. The confusion and lack of communication was very irritating, especially before we were about to depart the city.

The hotel itself and its' location is wonderful but the service and prices leave much more to be desired.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank PennyLane43
EmpireManagement, Manager at Empire Hotel, responded to this review, August 28, 2012
Dear Stephanie M,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback on your most recent stay at the Empire Hotel. As the Assistant General Manager of the Hotel, I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed our location and amazing views. I am disappointed to hear of your experience in our lobby bar and the confusion you experienced with your bill upon check out. I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss your stay in greater detail. Please reach out to me at jbaldwin@empirehotelnyc.com. I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Jennifer Baldwin
Reviewed August 27, 2012

Great lovation but an average hotel behind fancy decoration We got two rooms just above air conditioner condensers which kept going like aircraft engines which kept breaking my sleep as I am very sensitive to noise. I tried to talk to reception about it but they were busy and the person who asked to help me told me rudly "I am a concierge. Is there anything about concierge" and walked off, instead of saying "I am sorry this is not my area but my colleagues wil take care of you". I come from the U. K. We are used to kind talking but in the USA customers are not treated with kindness I found.
Also among about 100 hotels I stayed through out my life I have never came across rooms over air condition condensers or they were not this noisy. In America they do not seem to be caring about double glazing too. If this hotel was in Europe they would not be given licence because of the noise. This seems to be an issue with American hotels as we keep getting rooms above these extractors for the third time.

• Stayed August 2012
Dear Umash,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your most recent stay at the Empire Hotel. On behalf of the entire Empire team, I would like to personally apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your most recent stay with us. Please be assured I have shared your feedback with our Director of Engineering to address accordingly. Please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly at jbaldwin@empirehotelnyc.com if I may be of any further assistance.

Regards,