“Small Room but great location”
Review of Empire Hotel

Empire Hotel
Ranked #342 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed August 12, 2012

The rooms are small and the pool is more like a kids paddling pool but I have to say that our stay here was fantastic. Although the pool was tiny my 9 yr old made good use of it. Great location for getting around and we loved that it was such a short walk to central park. The staff were friendly and the concierge really helpful. The bar on the roof was a fantastic way to relax and take in A New York sunset. The room was clean and comfortable. All in all a good trip I would stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
EmpireManagement, Manager at Empire Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2012

Dear msbettybelle,

Thank you for providing us with your feedback on your most recent stay at the Empire Hotel. As the Assistant General Manager I am so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. I look forward to sharing your postive feedback on the friendliness of our staff with our entire team. Hope to welcome you back to the Empire Hotel the next time your travels bring you to NYC.

There are newer reviews for Empire Hotel

Reviewed August 11, 2012

I booked two nights at this hotel blindly without even knowing the name. It was a pleasant suprise for a price that was south of $200.00. The common areas ared dated, but nice. The elevators are small and slow. Most rooms have no view. The pool is smaller than a hot tub. There is a South Beach style club on the roof which draws crowds on weekend nights. The guest rooms have been updated are are very nicely done. Small, but very nice. The hotel tries to make up on low rates by trying to sell you everything in your room. The mini bar concept on steroids. But all things considered, a very nice stay next door to Lincoln Center at a very good price. I would not hesitate to stay here again.

Room Tip: Get a low floor to mak ethe elevator experience as short as possible.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business

Dear Truman G,

As the Assistant General Manager of the Empire Hotel I would like to thank you for taking the time to provide us with your valuable feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back the next time your travels bring you to NYC.

Reviewed August 9, 2012

I stayed here in 2007 and 2008 and came back again this past week. WHAT A DISAPPOINTMENT! First off, there were no glasses in the room, there were 2 flat pillow on each of the double beds and the room was so hot! We had to have engineering come up about the airconditioner and he told us it was because our room was big! BIG? there was less than 2 feet from foot of bed to wall and the bathroom was minute! Engineering had to finally bring us a fan that we left on for our 3 day stay. We called for ice and each time it took over 30 minutes, no matter if we called for it at 10 am, 5 pm or 10 pm. Oddly we ran into friends who were staying at the hotel and they too said they would never come back!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business

Dear rmeri,

Thank you for providing us with your feedback thru TripAdvisor. As the Assistant General Manager I would like to sincerely apologize for the challenges you experienced during your recent stay with us. Please be assured that we continue to strive to enhance both our product and service levels and work to exceed our guest expectations. I would appreciate the oopportunity to welcome you back to the Empire in the near future. Please feel free to contact me directly at jbaldwin@empirehotelnyc.com if I may be of any assistance.

Reviewed August 8, 2012

Nice place for those that are not claustrophobic, or those that don't like bright rooms. It was kind of what i expected of new york small room. we had 2 double beds no room to swing a cat. & we had 4 people all with luggage. Nearly checked out after 7 min after experiencing 10 - 12 people squeezing into lift which is for 8 maximum.Tagain claustrophobic i got off every time more than 6 people got in as you can imagine it took me time to get to my detination The pool is very small lap pool the reason we booked was because of pool and picture of pool roof area.. what a mistake -I wanted to escape the darkness but you can't take your own food or drink onto the roof area. paid $20 for a gin & tonic.decent walk up to the roof area after leaving the lift. lobby area again dark, 3 of the 4 lifts worked. close to central park & subway. night club great for kids to escape to. Wi fi in lobby but as i say dark strain on eyes if you have docs or papers to read.

Room Tip: it has been renovated, if you like light & bright don't book the empire
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family

Dear Marie T,

Thank you for providing us with your fedback on your most recent stay at the Empire Hotel. I apologize for the challenges you experienced with the elevator and can assure you that it is since been rectified. We do have several different room types at the Empire and although it is challenging to fit 4 adults in one room, I am sure we have a room configuration that will accomodate your travel needs. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the property if I may be of any further assistance. I do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Empire the next time you are in NYC.

Reviewed August 8, 2012

I’ve visited New York City several times and stayed in numerous hotels. The Empire Hotel is without a doubt, the best hotel I’ve stayed at thus far. My stay at the Empire Hotel was really nice and so were the staff, especially Daniel, who greeted my friends and I as we entered the hotel and as we left each day. A pleasant smile in the morning makes a great start to one’s day. Daniel gave us great advice and helped us find our way around the city. The decor and ambience at the Empire Hotel were beautiful. The rooms were elegant and classy. The bathrooms were contemporary and very clean and the beds were exceptionally comfortable. Unfortunately the pool was closed when we went, but there will always be a next time! I would definitely return to Empire Hotel on my next trip to New york City. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends

Dear Aiyana M,

Thank you for your feedback on your most recent stay at the Empire Hotel. I am so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to sharing your post with the Empire team. I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed August 7, 2012

Great place, but didn't have an ATM in the Hotel, which was frustrating cause I had to leave the hotel to find one. Other than that, it was a great place. The hotel was located in a great place which was very nice. Was able to go to central park and the subway was very easy to get to. The hotel is is decent shape for being so old. Would I stay there again, yes. I've stayed in many hotels in New York and almost all have had an ATM there which made it so convenient for me, so I was a little disappointed that this hotel didn't have one.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo

Dear Boston w,

Thank you for your feedback on your most recent stay at the Empire Hotel. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and will share your feedback on the ATM with our Executive team. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Empire the next time your travels bring you to NYC.

Reviewed August 6, 2012

Just spent ten nights at this hotel with my teenage daughter. Our room was adequate but no more. It was on fourth floor at the front of the hotel so had a view of the Lincoln Centre - lovely. Best feature of the hotel is the location - excellent for access to subway, close to amenities and Central Park. The rooftop 'pool' is tiny - I would guess approx 4 feet by 10 feet and was full of children on the one occasion we visited. All the sunloungers were occupied by people or 'reserved' by towels - not worth the trek up to the roof! Have not previously stayed in NYC so nothing to compare with but not a patch on London hotels.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family

Dear Michelle G,

Thank you for your feedback on your most recent stay at the Empire Hotel. As the Assistant General Manager I am pleased to hear you enjoyed our amazing location. The rooftop pool deck is only for guests of the Hotel and I apologize that it was crowded when you made your way up there. It really is a unique amenity for our guests and tends to fill up on hot July afternoons! We do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly if I may be of any assistance.