“Can't even begin to tell you what an awful hotel this is”
Review of Empire Hotel

Empire Hotel
Ranked #351 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed June 22, 2012

This was by far the worst experience I have had at a hotel. I get there and there is no one at the door. The was a doorman in the street hailing a cab for someone and he literally watched me try to juggle my bags and a stroller to the door. He did nothing to help. I finally get in the damn door and there's to doormen/busboys just standing there. One of them says to me, "Do you need help". Hello, isn't that your job. Of course I need help!!!! So I get, or try to get to the front desk, 20 minutes to check in. Finally get to the disgusting room, my suitcase barely fits in the door. The room was dirty, falling apart and really tiny. I stay in NYC all the time. This room was NOT 4 star quality. The wallpaper was peeling, the light was peeling, the thermostat control panel was hanging from the heater, I couldn't get the window open, the bathroom.....Let me explain the bathroom. You walk in your on the toilet, you step to the left your in the shower. A shower with no door and towels placed inside the shower b/c the bathroom is so tiny there wasn't anywhere else to put them. So I break down and pay the outrageous wi fi fee b/c I was so livid I couldn't wait to write a review and it doesn't work. I call the front desk the lady who answers says, I can't help you. I have to transfer you to tech support!!???!! I get transferred and it's not even support for the actual hotel. I was a nightmare. That so called hotel ruined my time. Couldn't get up to the rooftop b/c of all the private events being held. That place should be called a motel. Total scam. I don't know who the hell would give that place a good review, has to be tourists. So to those tourists, TAKE A SUBWAY, the location of that dirt bag hotel is not worth the money and all the stress!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: The street, in a box, is better than this hotel.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Janys B

Dear Janys B,

As the Assistant General Manager at the Empire, I am extremely disappointed to read your posting and would sincerely appreciate the opportunity to discuss your experience in greater detail. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly at jbaldwin@empirehotelnyc.com. I look forward to hearing from you and apologize for any inconvenience we may have caused.

Jennifer Baldwin

Write a ReviewReviews (6,250)

Reviewed June 22, 2012

AC doesn't work . Staff Rude. Rooms tiny and need repair stay far far away I jad to stay because I price lined it. I called priceline to say how awful it was. I wanted to check out . Anyhow save your money and go elsewhere. I am typing this from the room it was so bad I had to vent I had to pay a extra 50 bucks just to get move to a room with working AC .

• Stayed: June 2012
4  Thank tunlaw75

Dear tunlaw75,

As the Assistant General Manager of the Empire Hotel, I would like to sincerely apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your most recent stay with us. I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss your experience in greater detail. Please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly at jbaldwin@empirehotelnyc.com. I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed June 22, 2012

We love getting away for an overnight date in the city! I was thrilled to be a part of a fabulous competition called Art Takes Times Square and decided to use Priceline.com to get a hotel. You put in the amount you're looking to spend and the number of stars, your credit card number and then take whatever they give you. I put in $150, 3 1/2 stars or higher, the neighborhoods I preferred and up came the Empire!

We were thrilled with the location (right across the street from Lincoln Center) as it's close to everything, including the parking lot we use on 12th Avenue and 60th Street. It was a beautiful day - we strolled through Central Park to the upper East Side, down Madison Ave and back through the Park. That evening we walked to dinner with friends in Times Square - went to all the festivities associated with the great event, and walked home. A perfect day in New York!

It appears the entire hotel has been nicely renovated and all the rooms refurbished. The lobby is gorgeous and our room (although on an interior air shaft) was clean and well appointed with a beautiful new bathroom. We didn't expect a view of the park at that price - AND - we didn't really spend much time in our room anyway, but enjoyed it even without a view.

I would definitely choose this hotel in the future - and highly recommend it to others.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MaryAnneErickson

Dear Mary Anne Erickson,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with such complimentary feedback on your most recent stay with us. We are so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back to the Empire in the near future.

Reviewed June 21, 2012

The Empire is an excellent choice for those wishing to sample the delights of New York. Just off broadway and close to Central Park. The hotel is very clean, the staff extremely helpful and friendly. For those who don't know the hotel has a "tie" to the tv series Gossip Girl and sell themed cocktails. The rooms are small, but apparently most hotel rooms here are!
Rooftop pool is an excellent touch, and a nice place to chill after a busy day on New York's streets.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mickchambers

Dear MickChambers,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback on yoru most recent stay at the Empire Hotel. As the Assistant General Manager, I am so pleased to hear we exceeded your expectations and look forward to welcoming you back the next time your travels bring you to NYC.

Reviewed June 20, 2012

We stayed 5 nights at the Empire Hotel and on our first night our room was right next to the elevator which was quite noisy. The room was also shaped in a triangle and it was not only very, very small but because of the room shape we could barely open our suitcases. The next morning, we asked reception if we could move to another room mainly due to the elevator noise. Reception advised they did not have another room however when we pushed the matter they eventually found us another room to move to. We were moved to another room which was also very small but at least in a square shape and not next door to the elevator! The hotel is in a very good location however the reception staff are not very friendly and as described the rooms are exceptionally small. We are normally not very fussy when it comes to hotels, however the back packers we stayed in throughout our US trip were a better experience than this hotel. We wouldn't stay at this hotel again and wouldn't recommend to anyone.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple

Dear Ruby_1980_12,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback regarding your most recent stay at the Empire Hotel. As the Assistant General Manager I would like to apologize for not meeting your expectations. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the Hotel If you would like to discuss your experience in greater detail. I do hope to have the opportunity to welcoem you back to the Empire again in the near future.

Reviewed June 20, 2012

The location is brilliant. We saw War Horse which was right over the road at Lincoln Centre, and Central Park was a short walk over 2 blocks I think it was. There are two subway stations within close proximity. So as far navigating our way around the city from the hotel, it was a great base point.

The room was sooooo tiny. Nicely decorated - but it didn't make up for how ridiculously tiny it was.
We also noted that it was our honeymoon and no one was interested. I don't expect an upgrade and bubbly - but a congratulations or acknowledgment from staff might have been nice.

The housekeeping service was painful. We had to call no less than 6 times begging for new towels, particularly a floor mat as the shower leaked onto the floor. We resorted to using spare towels for this every day as we didn't have the energy to phone 6 times every night to get a replacement, and housekeeping just didn't replenish it.
The concierge was a sweet guy - but gave us incorrect directions to a restaurant in Little Italy, and he definitely made it clear that he was a snob and couldn't assist us in getting any of the Top 5 broadway shows unless we were prepared to pay about $200 a person for a ticket.
Lucky for us a few locals gave us better directions and advice and we saved time and money!

The Gossip Girl fame of the hotel was a large reason in booking. We may come back purely for location - but not for the service or room size.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank LA_Harding
Reviewed June 18, 2012

The best thing about this place is the location - it's so convenient to Lincoln Center and Central Park. The hotel itself is average NYC faux swank. The bar is fun and trendy, as is the rooftop lounge, and I enjoyed hanging out in those areas with friends while I was in town. The rooms are also typical NYC boutique - pretty small but reasonably nice. I'm the sort of person who doesn't spend a lot of waking hours in my hotel room, so for me, this place was just fine. One thing to know - there aren't a ton of late night bars and restaurants in this area, though you can get to those things easily.

Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo