“Good west side hotel”
Review of Empire Hotel

Empire Hotel
Ranked #340 of 473 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed February 20, 2012

Stayed for 2 nights in February for business. Nice lobby with lots of seating so it was easy for business meetings. Plus there is a bar that definitely gets a happy hour crowd. Ate 2 lunches and a breakfast at the restaurant on the 2nd floor which is really nice and bright and sunny. The breakfast buffet was $26 so not cheap but typical for a nice NYC hotel breakfast buffet I guess. Room was small (not the smallest ever in NYC) but totally fine for a couple nights and was nice and modern. Bathroom was nice too. No complaints whatsoever. Free wifi in the lobby but you have to pay to use Internet in your room.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
EmpireManagement, Manager at Empire Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2012

Dear AmityL,

WOW!!! Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback on your most recent stay at the Empire Hotel. As the Assistant General Manager I am so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back soon!

JEnnifer

Write a ReviewReviews (6,394)

Reviewed February 20, 2012

Although I had been in this hotel years ago and it was old and funky, the location couldn't have been nicer. When I went back for four nights - it was super modern and super cool. Great staff, right down to the people handling the front doors - and still wonderful location. It is now my hotel of first choice for the Big Apple (subway connections, ease of taxi, airy, top part of town and great for after work walks in any direction!)

Room Tip: If a "view" is important then you need to request it
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business

Dear Gedaliah G,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your valuable feedback on your most recent stay at the Empire Hotel. As the Assistant General Manager of the Hotel, I am so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Empire the next time your travels bring you to NYC.

Reviewed February 17, 2012

I stayed at the Empire Hotel for 8 nights during New York Fashion Week and had the best stay I've ever had in a long time. I had stayed at the Hudson Hotel before and had a horrible experience, so I was little apprehensive at first staying at a hotel I had never stayed before, but I was greeted by a very friendly and professional employee named Mariana as I checked-in who immediately put me at ease and made sure I was happy with my room. Everything was perfect (and I don't use that word often); Friendly and helpful staff, great continental breakfast (more food and variety than I was expecting), my room was always clean and fast check-in and check-out.

Room Tip: I was staying for a whole week and didn't care about the view, my concern was to get a room larg...
Reviewed February 17, 2012

We travel regulary to New York and used to rent an apartment. Unfortunately this is not possible anymore due to new legal rules.

We therefore chose the Empire Hotel as the rooms looked nice and it was located central close to Central Park.

But we was very disappointed. The room was very small and dark - we got a "view" to a dark backyard - see picture.

We'll probably not re-visit New York for some years - we await the possibility to rent an apartment.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with street view
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank MortenM

Dear SPGomes,

Thank you for posting your incredible feedback on the Empire Hotel on TripAdvisor. As the Assistant General Manager of the hotel, I am so pleased to hear you enjoyed Fashion Week with us! We had a great week too and really strive to provide the highest levels of service to our guests. We look forward to welcoming you back soon (September Fashion Week maybe???)!!

Reviewed February 15, 2012

I stayed here 2.13 - 2.14. The lobby was very nice and almost had a 'speak-easy' feel to it, which is a very different theme compared to most hotels. It was too cold for the Rooftop bar so unfortunately I didn't get the chance to check it out. The room was nice, but very, very small. Great TV and plenty of channels, and the liquor/beer wasn't too expensive compared to most mini-bar prices in NYC. Awesome location, walking distance to Central Park and trump towers, and there's an awesome burger joint right next door. They actually have beer that isn't locally brewed which honestly was a relief as I had nothing but local NYC beer that whole week. Food was delicious. We were in room 304, and it was a great view if you like a brick wall and windows to look at, but it wasn't that big of a deal. The only bad thing I could really find was the noise of the A/C unit and the fact that the shower didn't have a closing door. Other than that, I will most definitely return.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Michael H

Dear Michael H,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your valuable feedback on your most recent stqay at the Empire Hotel. On behalf of the entire Empire team, we are so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed February 15, 2012

I work in New York, do a lot of travel in and out, and usually stay at the Four Seasons. Checking my calendar I saw that I'd forgotten to book a hotel for a month long stay and my hotel of choice was booked up for the first two nights. Happily, I found that the Empire had an amazing deal on a suite from Expedia for the two nights in question and I booked about three days ahead. The location is great--right next to Lincoln Center, close to the park, etc. The hotel is beautiful, my room was enormous and since I had a corner suite, I had amazing views of Columbus Circle. The lobby is chic and stylish and inviting. The facility itself is great.

My issue was with the staff of the hotel. Granted, it was the middle of Fashion Week. Granted, I'm just a lowly guest who paid for a room for two nights through a third party service. However, being reminded of these things by the staff of the front desk is really bizarre (including a really awkward moment when the man behind the counter said, "Well, you're obviously not a Fashion Week-er so...." before drifting off, and abruptly turning to a different customer who had also been waiting at the counter). Apparently appearing as if I was a country bumpkin I was condescendingly told, "It must be so fun for you to see what models and fashion people look like up close!" (Word for word.) I was kept waiting for my room for two hours after check-in time with the excuse of, "It's Fashion Week." The hotel was incredibly noisy because, "It's Fashion Week." Room service was slow because "There are VIP guests because it's Fashion Week." I get it--it's Fashion Week. However, if you're so busy because of Fashion Week, maybe don't have rooms still available on a moments notice (after Fashion Week had started, no less) or, perhaps, don't allow bookings from those who (you think) aren't attending Fashion Week? I knew it was Fashion Week before I arrived since (shock) I actually work for a fashion magazine and (double shock) wasn't just there to shop at the suggested Gap and Banana Republic. (Thanks, guy at the front desk, for the super duper awesome suggestions!)

Other random things: housekeeping doesn't care if the "do not disturb" sign is on the door and will enter anyways; housekeeping also closes the doors when they clean which seems like an enormous security issue to me; my neighbor's room service trays were left in the hallway over 24 hours; there was a chip bag in the toilet when I arrived; the french fries from room service were AMAZING even though the caesar salad was wilted; there's an "Intimacy Kit" available for $38 so don't let your kids rifle through the stuff available for purchase sitting on the desk; the windows actually open which might be really pleasant if the weather is nice; free copies of WWD out in the lounge was a really nice touch, though I'm going to assume it was just for Fashion Week; the TV (at least in my room) was whatever the equivelant of terrible definition is; the men working the door are quick, competant and friendly; if you have to wait two hours after check-in for your room, you'll be offered a drink in the lounge....which you will end up paying for yourself; possibly the attitude of the staff is kind of an ambiance thing for people who want that true nobody-cares-about-you city service--perhaps they're supposed to be acting that way!

The best part of the Empire is the hotel itself--beautiful and comfortable. I would absolutely suggest getting a suite if one is available and mine was far enough away from everything that it was incredibly quiet despite lots of noise down the hall. Judging from other reviews, I think this is one hotel where it really pays to upgrade if you can. I wouldn't suggest bringing children and I wouldn't suggest coming here if it's your first time to the city or if you're just planning to tourist it up during your stay. If you're uncomfortable with a condescending staff or if you need city guidance, this hotel is also probably not for you. Stay here if you love the area, are comfortable with New York already, need a romantic get away where you won't be leaving the room, or you know, if you're in town for Fashion Week.

1  Thank anijean

Dear anijean,

As the Assistant General Manager of the Empire Hotel, I would like to apologize for the challenges you experienced during your most recent stay with us. While Fashion Week is a very busy time at the Empire Hotel, it should never be an "excuse" for not providing the highest levels of service to all our guests. If anything, it should enhance our team's ability to identify guest's needs and ensure that eveyone feels comfortable during their stay. From your posting, I get the sense that this was not the case, and for that I am truly sorry. Please be assured I will be sharing your feedback with our Executive team as a training tool so we can ensure this does not occur again. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly if you would like to discuss your experience in greater detail or if I may be of any further assistance. I do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Empire the next time your travels bring you to NYC.

Reviewed February 15, 2012

from the people to the room to the food and location was excellent. I would recommend to anyone visiting the big apple.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business