“Just stay elsewhere.”
Review of Empire Hotel

Empire Hotel
Ranked #342 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed December 5, 2011

OK it was the height of summer when we stayed, but the pokey little room was like an oven. A little more familiarity with New York would have meant that I would have spotted that as the place is built right where Broadway narrows into Columbus Ave and that this was unlikely to be the most tranquil spot. But it was noisy noisy noisy!!! We had the option of being deafened by the air con (1950s style window mounted tractor engine powered contraption) and gently roasting, or turning off the A/C and boiling to death and being deafened anyway by the equally loud incessant traffic just below the window. The first, awful night we also had parties of what sounded like dozens of loud, Spanish speaking (shouting, rather) people careering up and down the corridor, pausing periodically only to beat on our bedroom door. Our best purchases in NYC were the earplugs bought on the second day.

We were also ripped off by the Concierge recommended airport shuttle (an incredibly rude bandit) and had an item "go mysteriously missing" when in the left luggage room (hard to prove anything, but we know that that was the only possible place it could have gone).

Room Tip: We heard that the rooms on the interior of the hotel suffer only from a loud incessant noise from th...
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Empire Hotel

Reviewed December 3, 2011

I'm staying on the third floor of the Empire facing the street. The noise -- garbage trucks -- loudly announce the dawn and never stop. Ask for a room up high and away from traffic. The room is clean, large for a standard Queen in New York and nicely appointed. Great bed, super fresh sheets, good sized bath. At night, this is an amazing place to be -- close to two of NYC's best restos (Picholine and Telapan) with the yummy Chowder Bar right in the hotel. But it is the nightclubish lobby that seems to draw the cool. Velvet drapes and comfy benches, romantic lights and designer drinks. For those who complained about the smallness of the room, I believe you but mine is excellent. Try this place with the caveat at check-in that you will ask to move if you don't like the room. But don't let those posts make you skip this fabulous location (Broadway and 63rd in the shiny heart of the Apple's entertainment district). I also got a great rate using Priceline.

Room Tip: Ask at time of booking for a larger room away from the traffic and up high.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank pj t
EmpireManagement, Manager at Empire Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 12, 2011

Dear pj t,

Thank you for your review of the Empire on TripAdvisor. I am so pleased to hear you enjoyed all that our Hotel has to offer and look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed December 3, 2011

I stayed here end of September for about a week. It was a surprise holiday for my girlfiend and I - I proposed to here in New York! Overall, we were both extemely impressed with the hotel and finisings. The staff are great and the guy on concierge a legend. The location if fantastic, close to Lincoln Centre subway or Columbus Circle - a boon of a location.

A couple of points to make. When I made the reservation I wrote a note saying I will be proposing and it would be nice if the hotel guys could do something nice for us which didn't seem to happen. Perhaps some roses or chocolates would be great. I'm sure they would have if I asked in person but just keep an eye on the reservation footnotes please.

Secondly, the room we had seemed to have one of he first air conditioners ever made! It was seriously loud. Again, not an issue for us as it was cold when we were there so we didn't use it, apart from once or twice. My advice would be investment in some up to date quiet ceiling mounted air con units.

The rooms we finished to a very high standard and the shower great. Just one personal note - I would prefer a full door on my shower. The room we had only had half a door so we had to be careful not to allow the shower to spray out. Our room view was the innerds of the hotel, again not an issue for us as we there only to sleep!

I gave value a 4* as we had 2 nights free through a promotion. If we didn't I would still award 4*. My sleep quality would potentially be 2* IF THE AIR CON WAS ON, seeing as it was off 5*.

Overall vey impressive, but please upgrade your air-con machines!

P.S. she said yes!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bakul M

Dear Bakul M,

Congratulations on your engagement and thank you for your feedback. We are pleased to hear that our service exceeded your excpectations but apologize for the challenges with the AC unit in your room. We have since replaced many of the older units in the building and are confident this will address the issue you expereinced. We do hope to welcome you back to the Empire the next time your travels bring you to NYC!

Reviewed December 2, 2011

I won't lie, apart from the fab decor the only reason I wanted to stay here was because of Gossip Girl, it being Chuck's hotel in the program and we weren't disappointed. We stayed in August at the very end of a month long trip round USA and Canada. We were caught up in the travel chaos of Hurricane Irene and only stayed at the hotel one night instead of three but it was soooo worth it. The staff were fantastic and kept our room for us every day that we rang with an update without any hassles at all and when we eventually arrived from Montreal, everyone was so friendly and helpful and the same deluxe room we had reserved was still being held for us. The hotel was immaculate and the decor is beautiful yet funky! We loved our room, it was small and so was the bathroom but we knew that before we booked so we didn't care, plus it had L'Occitane toiletries in the bathroom so that made up for it. The rooftop bar and downstairs bar were fantastic. There is a plunge pool and free WIFI on one of the floors too which is very convenient. This hotel is chic and every bit as sophisticated as it looks on the website and on Gossip Girl!!! :) Personally I think anyone who walks into this hotel and dislikes the decor and vibe obviously has no taste! :) There is alot of attention to detail at this hotel and yes it's expensive but it's also close to the metro, close to Central Park and Lincoln Centre and has lovely facilities. Very very impressed, we're well travelled and the Empire is one of the hippest hotels we've been to, we will be back..... Thankyou :)

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple

Dear crazy_rachie,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedabck on your most recent stay at the Empire Hotel! We are so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back the next time your travels bring you to NYC (just not during a Hurricane!)

Reviewed December 1, 2011

Stayed four nights and would definitely return when next in NYC. Staff were friendly and helpful, including a courtesy call to our room to see if we were satisfied with it after check-in. The room was clean and the beds comfortable. Although it was a busy weekend and the hotel's bars popular, we were not disturbed. Ask for a front room with views of the Lincoln Centre. This was an ideal city base from which to explore: close to Central Park, shops,etc and subway.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends

Dear rosemary r,

Thank you for your review of the Empire Hotel on TripAdvisor. We are so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back the next time your travels bring you to NYC.

Reviewed December 1, 2011

We stay in NYC for a kid-free weekend several times per year. We stay at a diffrent hotel every time and have had great experiences with nearly every property (Affinia, Kitano, Bryant Park, W, etc....all great). This was the first major exception. We don't spend much time hanging-out in the room and we are used to typically-small NYC hotel rooms. This "room" was so small one of us had to be sitting on the bed or in the bathroom so there was room for the other person to walk around the bed. You also had to be standing in one very specific spot in the bathroom in order for there to be enough room to close the bathroom door. It was almost comical is was so small. Like something from I Love Lucy. They should be ashamed of themselves for classifying this as a room (the difference b/t it and the rest of the rooms on the floor is clear once you look at the emergency escape floor plan that's posted).
The bed was, I guess, a double because there is no way in hades anything bigger than that would fit in this room.
The AC was super-loud but not especially cold. If that had been the only issue it would have been NBD.
Our room rate probably would have been decent for an actual room but not for the sleeping closet. Probably not coincidentally, for the first time ever upon check-out, we were not asked if we enjoyed our stay. After all, they could see that we were booked into the sleeping closet.
All in all, a wonderful weekend in NYC for the NY Comedy Festival and shopping but we will not stay here again.

Room Tip: Obviously, do NOT accept assignment of room #1014. It may be the same with #14 on every floor. It...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Danni S
Reviewed December 1, 2011

I have done extensive traveling. Rarely have I paid 500 bucks a night for a hotel room except at Farimount properties. I know that NYC is not priced to most standards but 500 bucks should still carry with it an expectation of well-above-average standards. The only good thing about it was the location. As soon as I walked in I got a bad vibe. The decor was dark, heavily draped and dingy. The deluxe premium room was small, had one chair and again the decor was brown/black. There was a full shower with half of a shower door so water went everywhere. There was a sink but it was 2 inches deep so water went everywhere. there was no counter space and the whole thing annoyed me.The street noise was typical but the hotel patrons were beyond noisy! For 500 bucks a night I expected a refined clientele and it was anything but...sorry I have stayed in better Marriotts, Hampton for under 100 bucks a night. I would NEVER go back, in fact I could not wait to get home! The front desk was oblivious and contacting them at all was a hassle. Next time I am in NYC I will stay at a Marriott even if is more than 500 bucks. Shame on you EMPIRE HOTEL!!!!!!

Room Tip: Go elsewhere
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family