“Would got 3.5 stars if I could”
Review of Empire Hotel

Empire Hotel
Ranked #340 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed November 14, 2011

I'll preface my comments be saying I'm not overly picky with hotel rooms. My wife is another story. Went for a weekend with friends. The service at this hotel was outstanding. Our suite was ready way before check-in but when we got there my wife was bummed as there was no bath tub. She's high maintenance, what can I say? One call to the front desk and they hooked us up with another one immediately that had a tub and we were set. The suites are the size of a normal smallish hotel room anywhere else but hey that's NY. The bed, however, was great. We slept very well. The showers all have the stupid half open set-up which I just makes no sense. When looking closely, you could tell a full door used to be there but they decided to be 'trendy'. What's not trendy is having to cover the toilet paper holder to avoid the open shower splashing it. Ergonomics people....get some. The hotel lobby was gorgeous and a nice place to chill. Location was great..we were able to walk to many places. I'd heard about noise problems from the bar if the room was high up, but we were on the 8th floor and never heard a word. Speaking of the bar....we hit the rooftop loungeone night and it was wall to wall packed. Hard to tell much. Based on the location and service, I'd stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Empire Hotel

Reviewed November 13, 2011

Tiny rooms, couldn't control the room temperature, staff ssssslllllllooooowwww to respond to request for heat, breakfast was overpriced. Felt like I should have my wallet surgically attached to my hand to get any member of the staff's attention...wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: Find another hotel?
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank Luanne506
EmpireManagement, Manager at Empire Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2011

Dear Luanne 506,

Thank you for providing us with your feedback regarding your recent stay at the Empire Hotel. I would like to sincerely apologize that your stay did not meet your expectations. I would welcome the opportuntity to discuss your experience in greater detail. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the Hotel. I look forward to hearing from you.

Assistant General Manager

Reviewed November 13, 2011

I became worried after reading some of the very negative reviews of EH, but I had no bad experiences. Every staff member I had contact with--receptionist, engineer, doormen--was very pleasant and helpful. My room was clean; it was not tiny (as it sounds like other rooms are), but it was long and narrow. I couldn't work there because there was no desk or work space--only a narrow table covered with everything except a lamp. I was there for business for one night, and it served my needs well enough. If you need a clean and safe place to stay after long days and night out, the EH would be a good option. A lot of Europeans were staying there.

The main reason why I wasn't crazy about it has to do with Aesthetics. It is all done in dark, heavy colors (bronze, black) and drapes and animal-print patterns--and I found it oppressive. The lobby could be spectacularly beautiful--but the decor makes it closed and dark. I don't think of this as 'contemporary' but as some throw-back to a brooding interpretation of victorian times with dark velvet and drapes and no lights. I found myself just wanting to get out in the fresh air and openness.

I had breakfast there, which was a mistake. The restaurant opened 10 minutes late; the eggs were greasy; they didn't have wheat toast and burnt the white toast. I should have gone to Starbucks around the corner.

I should qualify this by saying my experience of NYC hotels is limited, so if the EH is the best deal you can find, go for it.

Room Tip: ask for room at end of hall. I heard a lot of people complaining about noise, but my room was quiet.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
4  Thank javl

Dear javl,

As the Assistant General Manager of the Empire Hotel, I would like to thank you for taking the time to provide us with your valuable feedback. I am pleased to hear our staff and service exceeded your expectations. Please be assured I will share your review with our restaurant and I apologize for the inconveniences you experienced at Breakfast. I do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Empire in the near future. Please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly at the Hotel if I may be of any further assistance.

Reviewed November 12, 2011

I was a bit apprehensive after being booked here for a business trip and seeing people either loving or hating the Empire. Fortunately, while there were a handful of small things that were annoying, my overall experience was quite positive.

The good things: The hotel is stylish and contemporary in the areas that count: the lobby and the rooms. Muted tones and surfaces create an atmosphere that is contemporary without being annoyingly trendy. My bed was very comfortable, although the pillows are like almost every other hotel's: excessively floppy and lacking support for side sleepers. The location is outstanding, with Central Park, Lincoln Center, shopping, subways and excellent restaurants no more than a 5-minute walk away (and usually less).

The flawed things: There were some layout decisions in my room that made me think someone really didn't think things through. The only electrical outlet by the desk was wedged behind the wall-mounted flat-screen TV, making it incredibly difficult to plug in the adapter for my laptop. With people carrying laptops, phones, cameras, etc. on every trip, it's frankly inexcusable for a hotel not to offer ample electrical outlets by the desk. The shower featured only a half-width glass panel, which would probably be ok if the overhead shower head wasn't located in the exact center of the shower. I encountered a small lake on the bathroom floor after every shower. And there's the previously mentioned pillows.

Overall, I was satisfied with my stay here. I slept well, I was conveniently located and I was able to get some work done, even considering the lack of conveniently placed electrical outlets. The flaws took a little shine off the experience, but nothing was approaching deal-breaker level. For a business trip, there's really nothing more I need out of a hotel.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Tef5

Dear Tef5,

Thank you for your feedback on your most recent stay at the Empire Hotel. As the Assistant General Manager, I am pleased to hear your overall experience was a good one. Please be assured I will be sharing your feedback regarding the layout of the room to our Executive Team. We take feedback from our guests very seriously and utilize it as a tool to assist us in moving the Hotel forward. I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Empire in the near future.

Reviewed November 10, 2011

TERRIBLE HOTEL! I recently stayed here in November 2011. My laptop was stolen right from my room. The worst part was that my roommate was sleeping in the room when the robbery happened at about 11:30 at night. It significantly compromised our safety! The security staff was not helpful and the hotel did not reimburse me for my loss nor accommodate us in any other way. They did an "investigation" but the result was "inconclusive." After reporting the theft to the NYPD and speaking to a detective, my robbery was the 5th robbery this month so far from that specific hotel! It was advised to inform others to NOT stay at the EMPIRE HOTEL. Police are under investigation of the hotel staff as well as a lot of suspicious activity has been reported ever since the Hotel went under new management. Stay safe and DO NOT stay at this hotel!

Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
7  Thank Miranda B
Empiregmanager, General Manager at Empire Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2011

Dear Miranda B.,

As the General Manager of the Empire Hotel, I disagree with your assessment of what transpired during your recent stay with us. As you know, there was a full, immediate investigation conducted in response to your claims, and the only individuals having access to your room was yourself and your roommate. No one else entered your room that evening and the room was in fact occupied during the time you are stating your items went missing. We take claims such as yours very seriously and we did everything we could to try and assist you in resolving your complaint. I apologize that our efforts did not meet your expectations.

David McManus

Reviewed November 9, 2011

Fantastic location, a block from Central Park. Clean, funky rooms as this is a Boutique hotel. Room and bed were on the small-side but staff were very helpful - particularly the Concierge. Refrigerator, TV and safe. Probably suited to younger people/couples.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are noisy from the A/C units in the lane
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank GaryT53
Reviewed November 9, 2011

Its amazing dry cleaning service in 2 hours. Othe hotels I have to turn in at 12 pm to have it back in 6 hours and thats a 'rush.' People here get things doen no ifs or buts. If your business this would come in handy when you have an emergency meeting.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business