Empire Hotel
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Hotel Belleclaire(New York City)(Great Value!)
$195
$172
  • Fitness center
InterContinental New York Times Square(New York City)(Great Value!)
$336
$281
InterContinental
  • Room Service
Parker New York(New York City)
$415
$403
  • Restaurant
Royalton Park Avenue(New York City)
$295
$234
Official Site
  • Pool
YOTEL New York(New York City)(Great Value!)
$201
$134
$689
$617
  • Pool
The Bentley Hotel(New York City)(Great Value!)
$202
  • Room Service
Millennium Hilton New York Downtown(New York City)(Great Value!)
$228
$197
Hilton.com
  • Restaurant
The Westin New York Grand Central(New York City)(Great Value!)
$265
$239
Westin.com
  • Room Service
Park Central Hotel New York(New York City)(Great Value!)
$168
$140
Park Central
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Fitness center
6,504 results
All reviewslincoln centered's chowder housegossip girlpool deckcentral parkcolumbus circlegreat locationrooftop barnew yorkupper west sidejunior suiterooms are smallaround the cornertimes squarenycstarbuckssubway
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 6, 2011

I was most surprised at the size of our rom. It was quite spacious especially by New York standards. My only real complaint was that there was not a coffeemaker in the room. Otherwise the bed was quite comfortable. The personal products were upscale and plentiful. Zackat the front desk could not have been more accommodating. A very pleasant stay.

• Stayed: October 2011
Reviewed October 4, 2011

Being fortunate enough to travel to the city for business about every seven weeks, I'm so glad that I've found The Empire Hotel. In a time when PERSONAL relationships with customer and businesses has gone away, it's just not the case at this hotel. Upon arrival I'm alway greeted with a warm smile and "Welcome Back". Zuli at the front desk ALWAYS recognizes me and shows her appreciation for my continued loyalty to the hotel and does her best to always ensure that my stay is as wonderful as possible! The location is perfection, clearly!!! Room service menu is always delicious and the staff very friendly and courteous. I'm looking forward to my next visit already
DM Louden

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed October 3, 2011

I checked in Friday 9/30/2011 and was pleasantly surprised that the room was ready. When I went to take a shower at 4, no toiletries or towels and a leaking shower. Called the front desk, explained the problem, was transferred to housekeeping with a promise that engineering would be notified. Housekeeping arrived in 15 minutes. I left the room and returned at 11:00pm to a leaking shower that annoyed me all night long. When I left on Saturday around 1:00pm - still leaking. And when I returned at 5 it had been fixed BUT my window was open!!! Why? Well apparently engineering or housekeeping needed to smoke as their was a match and a cigarette on the sill outside my window(see photos). Appalling!!! No I didn't write the Empire as they totally ignored the email I sent prior to arriving. Customer service is not a priority in this hotel. Very very disappointed.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank lizzycat
Reviewed October 3, 2011

We were staying on business and needed a room with 2 beds, for 3 people. Reservations was very helpful and told us a few rooms had 2 queen beds, but most had two doubles. Later, in requesting a room from the front desk we found out the double bed rooms had a much better view, so we requested that.
Upon arrival, we were checked into one, which was dirty. We said we would wait for it to be cleaned, but were put in another room - on the 11th floor. This had 2 doubles, but faced the interior space - an awful view. Not wanting to make a 3rd trip to the desk, we kept the room. The room ended up being REALLY LOUD - right next to the elevator. I now believe it is probably the last room they sell, as it really is almost unbearable.
Also, the elevators did not work very well. They were never all operating, and often stopped on random floors.
We requested a late check-out. We were told we could have 12:30pm - a half hour later than normal check-out time. Shortly after noon, we returned to the room and our key card would not work. Not wanting to take the long trip to the front desk, I called the front desk from my cell phone for help. I was told the bellmen were busy, and would have to go to the desk. On our way down, we shared the elevator with another guest who was experiencing the same situation. The desk had no record of our late check-out, and as with our other interactions, could not have cared less.
As for the rooms, they did not have enough lights, but were nicely decorated and clean. The tiny bathroom had a shower stall with a partial glass wall, but the door was missing, so water got all over the floor.

Room Tip: don't stay in 1111
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank jbwheat4
EmpireManagement, Manager at Empire Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2011

Dear jbwheat4,

As the Assistant General Manager of the Empire I would like to thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback on your most recent stay with us. I sincerely apologize for the inconveniences you experienced while a guest at our Hotel and you can be assured I will be sharing your posting with our Executive Team to address within their individual departments. I do hope you will reconsider and return to the Empire as our guest in the near future. Your experience is not representative of the levels of service we strive to provide our guests and we are sorry for any inconvenience we may have caused.

Regards,

Jennifer Baldwin

Reviewed October 2, 2011

We really, really wanted to believe the nice and positive reviews on this hotel; we were going to be stuck staying there because we booked on Hotwire.
Turns out the bad ones are accurate. And we will never use Hotwire again.
The hotel is at best a two star; it has too many deficiencies to be ranked any higher.
It seems to be - from the remnants of its previous life (an old AC unit, painted door jams) - to be a cheap slap some paint and put up some wallpaper reno of a dump.
We were the victim of their bait and switch program - get a room through Hotwire, get put into a closet that overlooks the dumpster, complain and agree to an upgrade for $50 to $100 / nite, We saw the list when we changed rooms - there were a dozen others who got taken by this (and they screwed up the room move).
The list is long. No towels, wet comforter and pillows when we arrived back in the room at 4 pm, no sheet under the comforter, no coffee maker, a rusted filthy AC unit, no breakfast restaurant.
Maybe worst was the subject of the most apologies from hotel staff - the hotel rents the roof top bar to other people who employ rude thugs as doormen. These morons seem to enjoy bothering every hotel guest they can every chance they get. And coming home from dinner every night, the front lobby area was blocked by patrons of the roof top bar.
Horrible experience.

Room Tip: Not worth the quoted price - chisel them down to about 250 or go elsewhere.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank BrianLFrench

Dear brianl,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback on TripAdvisor regarding your most recent stay at the Empire. I sincerely apologize for any miscommunication you may have received regarding the room type you booked. We have several different room types and configurations at the Empire which provides us with an opportunity to offer our guests that book thru a third party the option to upgrade their room if they wish. With that being said, I have to respectfully disagree with your assessement of any "bait and switch" tactics being conducted by any member of our team. Please be assured I will communicate your challeneges with the Rooftop Security Team to the GM of the rooftop lounge to address accordingly. I do hope you will consider returning to the Empire Hotel as our guest in the future. Please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly at the property if I may be any assistance or if you would like to discuss your stay in greater detail. I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,