“Very dissapointed with the service and mistakes the hotel made”
Review of Empire Hotel

Empire Hotel
Ranked #332 of 466 Hotels in New York City
Brooklyn, New York
“Very dissapointed with the service and mistakes the hotel made”
Reviewed June 11, 2011

I was very dissapointed from check-in to check-out. Also, I received my credit card statement today and realized they charged me twice for the mistake they made. I booked with a wedding block for the day of the wedding (with the bloc) and when i checked in they said i was a "no show" from 2 days before. They made me wait 10 minutes before I finally was able to check in. Now the manager said I have to wait until monday and call back for the reservations dep.t can then "look into it". Meantime I am charges another 330 dollars. The new reservations they made for me at time of check-in was priced higher and I had to dispute the different price upon check-out, further disrupting my day. I never dealt with such incompatencies and would never go back to the Empire Hotel.

Room Tip: Get names, do not stay at The Empire Hotel!
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank supersky1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (990)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed June 9, 2011

The hotel is in great location .Room was ok for the size for one person .
My only complaint was the front desk people was rude and not all there .

• Stayed February 2011
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed June 9, 2011

I walked in and immediately LOVED the place for it's decor. But shame on me, she who has on more than one occasion chosen wine because of it's cute label!

Not only was the service at the front desk lackluster, but when I had issues with my bill, it took FOREVER to have it straightened out. And when it was resolved, they essentially tried to make ME feel bad for the mistake even though it was their error.

The room was lovely, the bed was comfy.. and I'll even forgive the TINY bathroom. I swear the toilet might as well been IN the shower, the place was so small.

The air conditioning didn't work and the room was hot as hell. It was actually comfortable cool outside yet my room HOT AS HELL. I asked for it to be taken care of - politely of course - to no avail.

Got in late - around half past midnite, the front desk clerked assured me I could order room service as soon as I got up stairs. I called room service and was told that room service ended at 11 pm. REALLY!?!?

No iron in the room, no outlets to be found to charge phones, no where to hang a garment bag. The list goes on.

I actually don't complain about hotels... but this one REALLY got under my skin.

Really folks?

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Canuckian_10

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

Calgary, Canada
Reviewed June 9, 2011

Despite some of the comments on tripadvisor we gave this one a try and were extremely happy. The staff were fantastic in every way, from the front counter to the maid service, and went above and beyond our requests. It is a very cool hotel and the rooms were unique, we had the junior suite which was huge and very well appointed, especially considering the excellent price compared to other NYC hotels. The bed was amazingly comfy, down duvet on top, down mattress pad underneath. Located in Upper West Side NYC, lots of interesting neighborhood to roam and discover; a block from the train and a block from Central Park.
We will definitely make this our home whenever we go to New York.
Thank you Empire Staff, you made our 1st anniversary very special.

Room Tip: Go for the Junior Suite.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Glenview
Reviewed June 9, 2011

I have stayed in the Empire many times over the past several years and have recommended it to many other people (parents of other Juilliard Students). Unfortunately, due to the very poor design of the bathrooms and some faulty hardware I left the second morning of my stay(and had to manage walking all day)with a black eye and a very sore (possibly broken) and swollen toe. Every contact I had with managerial staff, including general manager David McManus, was ignored. This was extremely frustrating and discouraging. I can no longer recommend this hotel. If you have any difficulties they will ignore you........

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank JShinbrood
Reviewed June 8, 2011

This hotel is one of my top faves in the city. The staff was so pleasant and accommodating during our stay there. The rooms were amazing and loved the rooftop bar. You also cannot beat the location......AMAZING! Will be returning very soon! :)

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
EmpireManagement, Manager at Empire Hotel, responded to this review, June 9, 2011
Dear JenCasselli,

On behalf of the entire Empire Team, I would like to thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback on yoour most recent stay with us. We are so pleased to hear our staff and location exceeded your expectations. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Empire in the near future!

Jennifer Baldwin
Winston-Salem, NC
Reviewed June 6, 2011

This hotel does have a few nice features - great location, nice lobby/2nd floor lounge area, and lovely L'Occitane bath products. Unfortunately, the negatives outweighed the positives during my stay.

The very narrow hallways with dark wallpaper were off-putting from the start. I was not expecting a large room, but was suprised to find such a small room with such minimal space surrounding the bed. Although the TV was nice, I would've preferred a desk upon which I could do my work. A leisure traveler might not have any problems with this, but between the lamp, TV, and tray of items for purchase on the small desk, I had no room to work on my small laptop. The brick wall view only emphasized the small, dark, cramped feeling of the room. In addition, the bathroom was not well cleaned upon my arrival and towels and bath products were not replenished. I am not a light sleeper, but the loud, outdated A/C woke me up every time it kicked on.

I found the front desk and conceirge staff to be quite rude on my first night. I had spoke with the staff on another night, and found these ladies to be very warm and friendly. It seems the service is inconsistent.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank heidib13
EmpireManagement, Manager at Empire Hotel, responded to this review, June 8, 2011
Dear heidib13,

As the Assistant General Manager of the Empire Hotel, I would like to thank you for taking the time to providue us with feedback on your most recent stay with us. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed our location, beautiful lobby space and our our amenities but disappointed to read of your challenges with the room layout and a few members of our team. Please be assured I will be addressing your concerns with our staff. I would like to sincerely apologize for any inconvenience these issues may have caused you during your time with us. I do hope you will consider returning to the Empire in the near future. I know we can do a much better job of exceeding your expectations.

Jennifer Baldwin